Trump is a danger to America

elrodvt

The idea is to concentrate long anti-Trump dialogs here instead of polluting other threads. Plus try and not annoy republicans, of whom polls say 90% support "their president".

I'll start. The man is a wanna be dictator and evil in intent. He only cares about himself and possibly his daughter.  He's very obviously racist and immoral in every sense of the word. This is why Franklin Graham and Falwell support him. Well, I guess i'm confused there. Maybe something to do with money. 

As a recent Post editorial said - Thank goodness for the "deep state" and all the people in his admin who are so appalled his ship leaks like the Kon-Tiki raft. Hopefully we make an unbelievable landing like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kon-Tiki_expedition did. Sorry, always thought that was so cool.

Anyone is welcome to comment of course but don't get all butt hurt if you support Trump. Try to explain rationally without the old Hannity "look a squirrel" BS.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://thehill.com/policy/international/398012-scarborough-gop-no-longer-deserves-to-survive

This is a good short read. It's ironic how the "braintrust" of the party (Will, Brooks, Krauthammer sort of) have left  and  are being backfilled by media clowns like Hannity and Jones. I don't think the GOP is going to fold anytime soon though unless the poor & young get off their asses and vote.

Hey look, a squirrel!!! :w00t::w00t::w00t:

In all seriousness though, if you think Trump is the first politician that only cares about money and power, you really haven't been paying attention.  Today's politicians on both sides of the fence are so beholden to their donors that they really don't give a crap about what the average voter thinks.  I remember in the Democratic debate, after hearing Bernie Sanders go off on a tangent about breaking up the investment banks, Hillary Clinton stood across the stage from him and essentially repeated everything he said, never mind the fact that four of her top six campaign donors in 2016 were investment banks.  Sure, the left and right have their handful of issues they always want to talk about (abortion, LGBT rights, gun rights, deregulation, etc) but other than that, DC is basically the same brand with two different flavors.

If Trump was an outsider with minimal baggage and the ability to think rationally, he would be one of our only legitimate hopes of putting the politicians in DC back in their place.  But he attracts so much drama and apparently doesn't know how how to think before speaking (or remember what he already said) that I'm worried he will upset the applecart with an unstable nation such as North Korea.

For what it's worth, I would have voted for a shoe over any of the final candidates in 2016.

This Post piece is pretty amazing. Great portrait of just what a special kind of idiot we’re dealing with here:

He thought he absolutely nailed the summit. 

“But roughly an hour into the flight, Trump’s mood darkened and grim reality set in as he consumed almost universally negative cable news coverage and aides began reviewing pages upon pages of printed-out statements from fellow Republicans lambasting the president. Trump called his former chief of staff, Reince Priebus, to gripe, and he also huddled with White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders in his cabin at the front of the plane to strategize.”

Smart serious people:

Much of the initial scrutiny focused on Trump taking the side of Putin over his own intelligence community, so Trump and his aides first settled on the president’s sending a tweet that reiterated, “I have GREAT confidence in MY intelligence people.”

But that did not silence the uproar, and aides knew they had a big problem.

Just real great normal stuff:

Trump himself was flummoxed. He waxed on about his impressions of Putin up close — strong, smart and cunning, in Trump’s assessment — and told associates that he viewed the Russian as a formidable adversary with whom he relishes interactions. He also was furious with the negative media coverage of a summit that he felt had been a clear success. And he complained to some about what he viewed as an undercovered angle of the election controversy: That the Democratic National Committee allowed its server to be hacked.

Trump further grumbled about the tough question he was asked by Jonathan Lemire, an Associated Press correspondent, wondering why that reporter had been called on rather than someone who might have asked an easier question.

Edit to add this tweet from Erick Erickson about how this week woke up a lot of people. Finally. 

@skymiler, I respect your opinion but if you're just coming here to downvote every post maybe you want to ignore this thread. The idea was to get our Trump hate out of your face in other threads. If you want to debate though that's all good.

1 hour ago, nicholas said:

Hey look, a squirrel!!! :w00t::w00t::w00t:

In all seriousness though, if you think Trump is the first politician that only cares about money and power, you really haven't been paying attention.  Today's politicians on both sides of the fence are so beholden to their donors that they really don't give a crap about what the average voter thinks.  I remember in the Democratic debate, after hearing Bernie Sanders go off on a tangent about breaking up the investment banks, Hillary Clinton stood across the stage from him and essentially repeated everything he said, never mind the fact that four of her top six campaign donors in 2016 were investment banks.  Sure, the left and right have their handful of issues they always want to talk about (abortion, LGBT rights, gun rights, deregulation, etc) but other than that, DC is basically the same brand with two different flavors.

If Trump was an outsider with minimal baggage and the ability to think rationally, he would be one of our only legitimate hopes of putting the politicians in DC back in their place.  But he attracts so much drama and apparently doesn't know how how to think before speaking (or remember what he already said) that I'm worried he will upset the applecart with an unstable nation such as North Korea.

For what it's worth, I would have voted for a shoe over any of the final candidates in 2016.

I think you make a bunch of false equivalencies there and it's ironic to bring Sanders into the discussion.  I don't agree with all his positions but he is one of the few honest and consistent politicians in the congress. Trump is simply not "normal" DC partisanship. Also, regarding DC sticking to their corners you do realize the republican party was for free trade and lower deficits 2 years ago?

I wasn't a huge Clinton fan either but at least she is a professional who makes reasonable decisions based on input from her professional staff. It wasn't really a question between her and Trump. BTW, Not voting is not an option for me. It accomplishes nothing.

The Dem leadership is so openly partisan it is disgusting. Same with the other party. Agree with that.

Would you have voted for Perot too? I disagree strongly. Despite how the lack of accountability and hidden cash has rightfully led to a deep distrust of congress I think only a very good politician can make things better. Not someone who has never worked in DC. Would you hire a star basketball player to fix a decline in profits at a fortune 500 company? 

One idea is that all contributions need to be open and not through shell companies etc. W alsoe need to be able to look at the assets of every politician and see where they came from. How is it, for example, that a guy like Paul Ryan comes to DC on a fairly low salary and ends up rich (I didn't look up Ryan but bet he did, pick almost anyone. Not Bernie though)?

Trump is particularly bad, but Obama was no saint.  Acknowledging in his autobiographies that he disliked white people?  Claiming to be a Christian but ceasing church attendance, by and large, once he won the election?  Giving billions of dollars to Iran, and not blocking an anti-Israel UN resolution in his final days?  Calling Republicans "enemies"?  Numerous lies?  Wanting to govern by bypassing Congress, with his pen and his phone?  He infuriated people on the center-right for good reason, damaged democracy and did long-term harm to the US. 

That said, Trump, in my view, committed treason in Helsinki, and his corrupt business dealings, incompetent family involvement in policymaking, attacks on the press and on the rule of law and total dishonesty and lack of morals show him to be worse of a person than Obama was, and perhaps his administration is more damaging than Obama's was. 

The only things about Trump that are better than Obama is that at least Trump doesn't want to completely surrender and totally open the borders to anyone in the world who wants to come, and at least Trump doesn't single out white people as objects of dislike (although Trump's overt racism is worse than Obama).

Trump needs to be removed from office immediately, but Democrats need to acknowledge that Obama was totally unacceptable in many ways.

By comparison to these two nightmares, Bush II was fine (he wasn't, but he was better than Trump and Obama), Bill Clinton was good and Bush I was great.

P.S.: And now Democrats are anti-Russia?  Democrats jeered Mitt Romney in 2012 when he said that Russia was our foe, and Obama wanted a "reset" with Russia.  And Democrats jeered Ronald Reagan in the '80s when he responded forcefully to the USSR.  Sorry- Russia IS a huge foe and Putin is a dictator/thug who needs to be stopped, by for Democrats to claim the cloak of being patriotic and anti-Russian is pure hypocrisy.

We need a strong and viable third party, untarnished by the last 30 years of Democrat vs. Republican nonsense.

14 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

That said, Trump, in my view, committed treason in Helsinki, and his corrupt business dealings, incompetent family involvement in policymaking, attacks on the press and on the rule of law and total dishonesty and lack of morals show him to be worse of a person than Obama was..

To me, that is the ball game. If the president is believed to have committed treason, then he is a danger to the country and must be removed immediately. If you truly believe that, you must be in favor of his removal. Republicans could make Pence president within a week and we'd be 1000x safer than with this imbecile running things. Regardless of what folks think about Pence, he is not compromised like Trump obviously is. 

8 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Trump is particularly bad, but Obama was no saint.  Acknowledging in his autobiographies that he disliked white people?  Claiming to be a Christian but ceasing church attendance, by and large, once he won the election?  Giving billions of dollars to Iran, and not blocking an anti-Israel UN resolution in his final days?  Calling Republicans "enemies"?  Numerous lies?  Wanting to govern by bypassing Congress, with his pen and his phone?  He infuriated people on the center-right for good reason, damaged democracy and did long-term harm to the US. 

That said, Trump, in my view, committed treason in Helsinki, and his corrupt business dealings, incompetent family involvement in policymaking, attacks on the press and on the rule of law and total dishonesty and lack of morals show him to be worse of a person than Obama was, and perhaps his administration is more damaging than Obama's was. 

The only things about Trump that are better than Obama is that at least Trump doesn't want to completely surrender and totally open the borders to anyone in the world who wants to come, and at least Trump doesn't single out white people as objects of dislike (although Trump's overt racism is worse than Obama).

Trump needs to be removed from office immediately, but Democrats need to acknowledge that Obama was totally unacceptable in many ways.

By comparison to these two nightmares, Bush II was fine (he wasn't, but he was better than Trump and Obama), Bill Clinton was good and Bush I was great.

Regarding the Obama section could you please fact check your posts with a reliable source like snopes and/or give us links from a reputable source (major newspaper, NPR, BBC etc..) .  I *think* most of them are false or greatly exaggerated. 

Couple things for you to think about though:

Church attendance for political gain is good for us how? Shouldn't that be private and not a reality show? 

"Anti-Israel" is a not a question of being a saint is it? Isn't that a foreign policy open for discussion? Still, I'm not sure exactly what concrete actions were taken which hurt Israel. There needs to be some balance in our position towards them. Illegal settlements and other violations of international law should not be rubber stamped without careful discussion. 

Billions of dollars were not "given" to Iran LOL. That's all some serious right wing slant there and is a big part of the problem right now.

Were the borders open during Obama? Please provide links showing the trend in illegal immigration and deportations from before and through his admin. 

Can you imagine Trump leading us out of the worse recession in recent memory and saving all those auto worker jobs? Remember the republican party leaders in 2008 vowed their primary goal in life was to get him out of office. In that environment, if you still wanted to make some progress, what would you do? Just sit on your ass or figure out what you can do working around the edges while staying within the law? Would you consider republicans with that attitude enemies? I do although I don't recall that being said.

With all due respect, That white people thing is so lame. It's really funny to see privileged white people claiming they are not being treated fairly. 

33 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Regarding the Obama section could you please fact check your posts with a reliable source like snopes and/or give us links from a reputable source (major newspaper, NPR, BBC etc..) .  I *think* most of them are false or greatly exaggerated. 

Couple things for you to think about though:

Church attendance for political gain is good for us how? Shouldn't that be private and not a reality show?  [CHURCH ATTENDANCE FOR POLITICAL GAIN IS DISGRACEFUL.  ONE SHOULDN'T CALL HIMSELF A CHRISTIAN WHEN HE'S NOT AND WHEN HE WENT TO CHURCH JUST FOR POLITICAL GAIN.  THAT'S MY POINT.]

"Anti-Israel" is a not a question of being a saint is it? Isn't that a foreign policy open for discussion? Still, I'm not sure exactly what concrete actions were taken which hurt Israel. There needs to be some balance in our position towards them. Illegal settlements and other violations of international law should not be rubber stamped without careful discussion.  [OBAMA DID NOT BLOCK AN ANTI-ISRAELI UN RESOLUTION NEAR THE END OF HIS TERM.  THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE.]

Billions of dollars were not "given" to Iran LOL. [YES THEY WERE.]  That's all some serious right wing slant there and is a big part of the problem right now.  [THE WASHINGTON POST REPORTS THAT OBAMA GAVE $1.7 BILLION TO IRAN.  SEE BELOW.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/03/01/was-obamas-1-7-billion-cash-deal-with-iran-prohibited-by-u-s-law/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9fcae74a54e8

Were the borders open during Obama? Please provide links showing the trend in illegal immigration and deportations from before and through his admin.  [OBAMA STOPPED DEPORTATIONS EXCEPT FOR PEOPLE WHO, IN ADDITION TO BREAKING US IMMIGRATION LAW, COMMITTED OTHER CRIMES.  AND HAVE YOU NOT HEARD OF DACA?]

Can you imagine Trump leading us out of the worse recession in recent memory and saving all those auto worker jobs? Remember the republican party leaders in 2008 vowed their primary goal in life was to get him out of office. In that environment, if you still wanted to make some progress, what would you do? Just sit on your ass or figure out what you can do working around the edges while staying within the law? Would you consider republicans with that attitude enemies? I do although I don't recall that being said.  [WHAT ARE YOU RESPONDING TO HERE?  I GIVE BUSH AND OBAMA CREDIT FOR CERTAIN ACTIONS TO STEM THE GREAT RECESSION.]

With all due respect, That white people thing is so lame. It's really funny to see privileged white people claiming they are not being treated fairly.  [RACISM AGAINST EVERY GROUP IS UNACCEPTABLE--EVEN RACISM AGAINST WHITE PEOPLE.  DO YOU DISAGREE?]

1 hour ago, Crucial_Infra said:

To me, that is the ball game. If the president is believed to have committed treason, then he is a danger to the country and must be removed immediately. If you truly believe that, you must be in favor of his removal. Republicans could make Pence president within a week and we'd be 1000x safer than with this imbecile running things. Regardless of what folks think about Pence, he is not compromised like Trump obviously is. 

I am in favor of removing Trump from office immediately. I state that in my post.

I am not a Republican and so I don't follow the Republican reference.

18 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I am in favor of removing Trump from office immediately. I state that in my post.

I didn't mean to ascribe that to you.  The reference to Republicans was only meant as a call to those in power. 

1 hour ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Did you read that post link in context though? The title is misleading. We made a deal to return their frozen funds as part of their stopping a nuclear bomb program. Of course that's all out the window now. Was it a mistake? Many good people were in both sides of the issue. It's very complex decision and I'm sure we don't know 1/2 of what went into it. 

How do you know he didn't go to church? Isn't their a chapel in the WH? Links please. Every candidate has to show they're religious which is a sad state of affairs. What's especially galling though is to see Trump try it and have top religious leaders then applaud whatever he does in return for various pro church legislation. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/04/project-blitz-the-legislative-assault-by-christian-nationalists-to-reshape-america

Whether blocking an anti Israel resolution meets your acceptable criteria will vary by person. it's not any worse than giving them a blank check to violate international law by building more illegal settlements. Is that what you mean though? I'm not positive what the resolution was.

So your immigration concern is related to DACA? Of course I know of it. It has nothing to do with current illegal immigration right? Anyone who wants to deport kids ready for college who can't even speak the language of the nation they came from needs to think harder about what that means. Would you be happy if your daughters best friend, who's the class validictorian, turned 18 and was then snatched up and deported? You know one of our countries biggest problems down the road is an aging population that puts a huge burden on young people.

I'm not the best writer so apologies for the confusion above. I was responding to why Obama felt the need to sign a lot of executive orders.

Where's the link on Obama's racism towards whites?

I hope your not typing all caps out of anger. This is supposed to be a friendly conversation. Like Brooks & Shields on PBS.

41 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Did you read that post link in context though? The title is misleading. We made a deal to return their frozen funds as part of their stopping a nuclear bomb program. Of course that's all out the window now. Was it a mistake? Many good people were in both sides of the issue. It's very complex decision and I'm sure we don't know 1/2 of what went into it. 

How do you know he didn't go to church? Isn't their a chapel in the WH? Links please. Every candidate has to show they're religious which is a sad state of affairs. What's especially galling though is to see Trump try it and have top religious leaders then applaud whatever he does in return for various pro church legislation. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/04/project-blitz-the-legislative-assault-by-christian-nationalists-to-reshape-america

Whether blocking an anti Israel resolution meets your acceptable criteria will vary by person. it's not any worse than giving them a blank check to violate international law by building more illegal settlements. Is that what you mean though? I'm not positive what the resolution was.

So your immigration concern is related to DACA? Of course I know of it. It has nothing to do with current illegal immigration right? Anyone who wants to deport kids ready for college who can't even speak the language of the nation they came from needs to think harder about what that means. Would you be happy if your daughters best friend, who's the class validictorian, turned 18 and was then snatched up and deported? You know one of our countries biggest problems down the road is an aging population that puts a huge burden on young people.

I'm not the best writer so apologies for the confusion above. I was responding to why Obama felt the need to sign a lot of executive orders.

I hope your not typing all caps out of anger. This is supposed to be a friendly conversation. Like Brooks & Shields on PBS.

Obama gave $1.7 billion to Iran.  According to the Washington Post.  Period.   The basis for doing so was the return of frozen funds, but $1.7 billion was given to Iran.  $1.7 billion was given to a radical anti-American and terror-sponsoring regime.

The New York Times reported on the infrequency of Obama's church attendance and the long periods post-election when he didn't go.  Period.

The Obama administration was the first US administration ever not to block anti-Israeli UN resolutions.  That speaks for itself.

Say whatever you want about immigration (perhaps I'm in favor of higher immigration levels; I haven't gone into details), but Obama stopped enforcement of US immigration laws except for deportations of persons who had committed felonies in addition to breaking US immigration laws.  Period.  That's a fact.

For Obama's racism towards whites, he made numerous troubling statements in "Dreams From My Father".  You can read the book.  I did.  Snopes includes a fact-check on claims about this, even: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/coil-of-rage/

And, just so you know, I refuse to watch Faux News.  I subscribe to the New York Times print edition and watch CNN and MSNBC every morning. 

1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

I think I can answer this:

1) Obama once wrote in his memoirs that he didn't like some white people when he was growing up. He explained this with references to being discriminated against in largely white Kansas and also to his own ignorance applying those traits to all white people. The lesson being that that was understandable at the time  but now that he's an adult he realizes he was wrong then. Also in that memoir he referred to his grandmother who was white as a "typical white person". To many on the right, this was extremely upsetting and was a sign that Obama hates his grandmother and maybe wanted to turn the US into an Afro-ethnic state or something.

2) Obama also once took the side of a black Harvard professor who was arrested for breaking into his own home. He said the police who arrested this man acted stupidly. Some people disagreed and thought Obama was racist for saying this. 

3) Obama in giving a speech about the dangers many young black men face in this country said that if he had a son he would look like Trayvon Martin. Again, this was very upsetting to some people. 

Crucial_Infra, well-said.

I'm not going to call Obama a racist.  To his credit, at least he was honest and forthright about his own views.  Trump, to me, is an overt and unapologetic racist and is worse.  However, Obama was not a saint, and he expressed views that contained some hostility based on race.  People loved calling George Bush II a Nazi, but I never heard him express race-based hostility.  But again, Trump is far worse and is, in my view, a total bigot.

P&K, I never thought GW was a racist myself but tempers did flare during the poor handling on the hurricane in NO. I doubt many people believe it in hindsight. His Mom would have kicked his ass if he were. ;-) Off topic, but It's remarkable how no one cares about Puerto Rico. I don't get that. Brown people? They have no representation in congress? Not sure.

I think you're twisting the facts by using some of those labels. For example, substitute "gave money" with "returned money".  But I get it's very subjective. 

I'm curious, Do you have family in Israel or a history in the middle east? You seem pretty adamant in your positions. Extremists in Israel and the Arab countries make progress impossible since the assassination of Rabin.  Then there are the despicable actions of Netanyahu at that time (great Frontline): https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/netanyahu-rabin-and-the-assassination-that-shook-history/  . Were they on purpose? Doubt it but no one knows. But I digress. 

Immigration is a tricky subject. I like this Snopes fact check: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/obama-deported-more-people/ . While you can argue if he deported MORE than any admin saying he opened the borders while also having this claim out there by the right is amusing. He did not STOP deportations at the end of his admin he prioritized criminals. I'm sure you're right there were some politics involved as he was being attacked by his own party.  In any case this is all a very minor blip compared to what has happened since.

Don't know why in the world anyone cares about church going or a black kid being resentful of whites. Let's agree to disagree there.

No one is a saint and we all make mistakes even presidents. Is there a consistent malice behind them or are they mistakes good people can make???

I wish I could afford both the Times and Post. I think when I retire I might get the Times delivery if a fake newspaper like that is still in business ;-). I wish we could get the Post delivered here though since that is what I've read over the years.

^^I recently cancelled the Times. Feel I get so much more bang for my buck with the Post. One thing I avoid at all costs is cable news. PBS and NPR is where you'll get a more detailed nuanced longform view. Cable news is important for breaking news of course. Otherwise, you can get all the highlights via mediate.com and other feeds on Twitter. Curating that following takes years of course but I have a great list of both the left and right. But I digress.... back to the world's worst human :) 

elrodtvt, as you should know, Obama started off by engaging in deportations (as he figured that being "tough on illegal immigration" would give him the cover necessary then to do a mass legalization), but then as the Democratic Party shifted to being open-border (instead of some Democrats wanting limits on immigration and others wanting open borders), Obama then stopped deportations, except certain unauthorized immigrants who had committed felonies in addition to violating US immigration laws.  He also shielded a large number of unauthorized immigrants from deportations (the scope of people eligible for DACA includes relatively recent arrivals and adults). 

I'm not sure why simply stating that the Obama administration was the first US Presidential administration that did not veto anti-Israeli UN resolutions is "adamant in [my] positions".  That's a fact.  Is simply stating one fact "adamant"?  Are you attacking my statement of facts just because you think that I might be Jewish (EDITED TO ADD: and why in the world would you start making assertions about my alleged ethnic background)?  That's very troubling (especially when you imply that racism by some groups against other groups is acceptable); are you living in Germany in 1938?

No, I'm not going to "agree to disagree".  I'm simply going to ignore your attempts to provoke an argument (particularly when you start attacking me, including on alleged racial/ethnic grounds, which is extremely troubling), and I'm going to go back to my New York Times today.

^Wow get a hold of yourself. I'm sorry you assumed an attack from my post. I was trying to be friendly since it appeared to be a hot button topic with you and I thought I could learn something new. Try to assume the best motives instead of worse. I don't care if someone is Jewish, Israel or from Jordan. Many of my family or friends fit into one of those categories. Geeze.

elrodvt, no, your attack was totally out of line and unacceptable.  To go after someone and start bringing up the person's alleged racial/ethnic heritage as part of the attack is way out of line.  I believe that Judge Roy Moore in Alabama also had a Jewish friend, as you claim you do.  You need to apologize.

Whoa P&K, I do not get this hostility unless you're just trolling right now and I'm missing it. I think you have misunderstood @elrodvt's intent. To me, it looked as if he was earnestly trying to see where you were coming from so he could better understand your concerns. If for example you have family in Israel or NC or wherever, you might be more inclined to hold a particular view because you might also just be more informed on the matter. I don't think he meant anything more than that. 

"Do you have family in Israel or a history in the middle east?"

P&K, there is no chance I apologize to you. Either think the best of people, and let's have a fun discussion or ignore this thread. You seriously consider the above an attack on you??

BTW, are you Finish? LOL.

Don't throw the friends crap back at me. I was just trying to gently explain I have no prejudices in this area. I had hoped you would be more adult about it. This is starting to sound like the comments section of Breitbart or something.

Archived