"No Pictures Of The Buildings"

nicholas

Hey everyone,

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured this would be the best place.  I had to run some errands last weekend, and drove through North Hills here in Raleigh since it was a nice Saturday night.  A Ferrari happened to be parked in front of one of the restaurants there, and since I'm a car guy, I had to stop and check it out.  The valets had no issues when I asked if it was okay to snap a few pictures of it, but momentarily after they said that, a security guard drove up and asked me what I was taking pictures of.  I told her I was just taking a few pictures of the Ferrari, and that I had been told it was okay to do so.  The security guard said to me that pics of cars and people there were fine, but no buildings because of the "branding."

Has anyone else heard of anything like this before?  I know that certain places, such as the Eiffel Tower, prohibit photographs at night due to the lights being considered a copyrighted art form, but this is the first time I have heard of otherwise normal buildings falling under a similar rule.  Maybe it was because I was technically standing on privately-owned (Kane Real Estate) property?  Many of us UPers have taken tons of pics of buildings, and now I'm wondering if there's any possible legal action that could become an issue in the future?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

On 7/23/2018 at 5:59 PM, nicholas said:

Hey everyone,

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured this would be the best place.  I had to run some errands last weekend, and drove through North Hills here in Raleigh since it was a nice Saturday night.  A Ferrari happened to be parked in front of one of the restaurants there, and since I'm a car guy, I had to stop and check it out.  The valets had no issues when I asked if it was okay to snap a few pictures of it, but momentarily after they said that, a security guard drove up and asked me what I was taking pictures of.  I told her I was just taking a few pictures of the Ferrari, and that I had been told it was okay to do so.  The security guard said to me that pics of cars and people there were fine, but no buildings because of the "branding."

Has anyone else heard of anything like this before?  I know that certain places, such as the Eiffel Tower, prohibit photographs at night due to the lights being considered a copyrighted art form, but this is the first time I have heard of otherwise normal buildings falling under a similar rule.  Maybe it was because I was technically standing on privately-owned (Kane Real Estate) property?  Many of us UPers have taken tons of pics of buildings, and now I'm wondering if there's any possible legal action that could become an issue in the future?

I know this is an older post but I had a similar situation like a few years ago. I had a minor run in with a security guard while taking photos in downtown Greensboro. I was taking photos of Carroll at Bellemeade during the early construction process on the east side of the development where Lindsay Street ends. I was stopped by a security guard who asked me why I was taking photos and what I was doing with them. He told me I was not allowed to take photos. Keep in mind I was on city property when I was taking the photos, not on private property. Of course I ignored the dude and just took photos out of his sight to prevent a situation from escalating. I know my rights. Since many of us on the forum take photos of development, I'm sure quite a few have run into a similar situation. I try to avoid taking photos from private property like on private parking decks. But I manage to slip into a few places to get high up shots.

A big no no though is taking photos at places like train stations or city depots. I got stopped one time there. Mainly that's because of security with everything that happened on 911. They don't like people coming in taking photos of transportation infrastructure.

But with smart glasses technology coming out, it will be easy to take photos discretely from anywhere.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...