Homeless Study

dcluley98

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you're just joking but I'm glad someone is finally trying to get to the underlying facts of the problem instead of just jawboning it to death. Given the demographics mentioned, the recent upswing in the problem seems to dovetail with the opioid crisis that has skyrocketed among working folks. Finding a solution is going to be a challenge that may address not only panhandling but several other issues as well.

They are looking to totally curb residents/workers/tourists from giving to a panhandler. (Through education/advocacy...not making it illegal)  It seems this study could produce the data needed to mitigate any outcry over the push.   

I don't go downtown much anymore, so I really haven't had many negative experiences with them in recent years. When it has happened, I just tell them that I'm on unemployment or disability etc, and that I'm as poor as they are.

The way I see it, there are enough free services and free meal providers that nobody actually NEEDS to panhandle. Plus, there is always a need for cash paid daily day laborers. Let them earn their pocket money.

I like the idea of an educate the public approach though.

They should put signs up (way up, out of reach of anyone who might try to tear them down) all around downtown spreading the word about not giving these people money.

11 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I don't go downtown much anymore, so I really haven't had many negative experiences with them in recent years. When it has happened, I just tell them that I'm on unemployment or disability etc, and that I'm as poor as they are.

The way I see it, there are enough free services and free meal providers that nobody actually NEEDS to panhandle. Plus, there is always a need for cash paid daily day laborers. Let them earn their pocket money.

I like the idea of an educate the public approach though.

They should put signs up (way up, out of reach of anyone who might try to tear them down) all around downtown spreading the word about not giving these people money.

JFW, no I4, no downtown, no Disney - did you move in a cave, bro? *giggles* 

I pretty much just go to the grocery store and back home again.

Especially during the summer. I cannot stand the heat and humidity outside. Come fall/winter/spring I do get out more, but this time of year I stay indoors as much as possible.

Been thinking about taking a little drive to LBV/Disney Springs sometime after September just to check it out. Haven't been there since it was called Pleasure Island.

They did a really nice job with Disney Springs - it's a little too ersatz for me (I'm more a Winter Garden or Flagler St at NSB type plus breakfast at Little Drug or lunch at the new Yellow Dog downtown) but it's still great to wander and see all the new stuff.

Another cool road trip is to Bok Tower over in Lake Wales. It still amazes me you could meld Gothic and Deco and end up with something so awesome.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0a/db/9b/20/top-of-bok-tower.jpg

From trip advisor

Oh, and for all our tall fanboys, the tower is 205' and sits atop the highest point in peninsular Florida!

I’m downtown almost every day - it’s gotten significantly worse and I’m not sure why.  The most direct change was removal of the boxes where panhandlers had to stand but I’m surprised that the adoption rate was so high then that the change would be so noticeable.   Another reason may be the I-4 work removing some camps.

In any case, I wish the city luck with this approach of equipping different downtown market segments with alternative responses to panhandlers (ie - no I wont give you money but did you know...”)

Archived