Three Thirty Three, 5 story, 69,000 sq. ft. office/11,000 sq. ft. retail, 11th Ave. South & Pine, The Gulch

markhollin

53 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Noticed the wall mock up framing last week, Couldn't tell until today that it is for this project and not the W project. We are looking at some nice masonry and cast stone facade. Excited to see it on the building.

Could you give us some reasoning behind why these are built?  When does a project make these and when do they do not?  Are these usually onsite?  Thanks!

• Like 1

Not entirely sure, but they were put up at all the dorm sites (not sure about College A Dorms) at Vandy.  But I believe they are used as instructional models for the masonry work. With the stone and brick and this particular (old style) design, I think the construction can be a bit more complex. 

• Thanks 1

Could you give us some reasoning behind why these are built?  When does a project make these and when do they do not?  Are these usually onsite?  Thanks!
Mock ups are used as tools for decision making. It gives the architect, builder, owner, etc. A visual and tangible presentation of the building materials and their effect on the viewer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Thanks! Why aren't they put up at all major construction sites? 

$$$

Plus, if you are working with materials that are easy/cheap to change or repaint, or materials that you have used before, then you don't as much need to see how it looks IRL. Vinyl siding and Hardie board is vinyl siding and Hardie board.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I get all your reasoning regarding where we should be, but.....Not everyone can afford market parking rates. Expecting everyone to take the bus, bike or scooter to work isn't really practical. Ubering from Antioch isn't cheap. I do use Uber a lot, at night and weekends. It adds up at just $10/trip.

Not having a car at work starts being an issue with folks with kids (sick,daycare issues). My spouse (who works in Franklin) kids me that I could easily take the bus to work (I live 3 miles from work). I say fine - you run home for every home repair, delivery, trip to the vet. I average at least one trip per week. Until the bus can get me home in 15 minutes - from work, I "need" my car.  My perspective is definitely curmudgeonly, but I know my friends. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

I get all your reasoning regarding where we should be, but.....Not everyone can afford market parking rates. Expecting everyone to take the bus, bike or scooter to work isn't really practical. Ubering from Antioch isn't cheap. I do use Uber a lot, at night and weekends. It adds up at $10/trip.

Not having a car at work starts being an issue with folks with kids (sick,daycare issues). My spouse (who works in Franklin) kids me that I could easily take the bus to work (I live 3 miles from work). I say fine - you run home for every home repair, delivery, trip to the vet. I average at least one trip per week. Until the bus can get me home in 15 minutes - from work, I "need" my car.

Yeah I am about to learn this the hard way.  I am switching jobs from Asurion to Accenture (in the Phillips Building).  I am going from "free" downtown parking to as high as "$185/month" parking.  I plan on trying out the yellow bus option from Nissan stadium but that's $40/month.  I guess I have been spoiled working the last 16 years between Asurion and Healthways in Cool Springs.  So now my 50 minute drive to work will include a 15-20 minute shuttle wait/drive.  Ugh.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

I get all your reasoning regarding where we should be, but.....Not everyone can afford market parking rates. Expecting everyone to take the bus, bike or scooter to work isn't really practical. Ubering from Antioch isn't cheap. I do use Uber a lot, at night and weekends. It adds up at just $10/trip.

Not having a car at work starts being an issue with folks with kids (sick,daycare issues). My spouse (who works in Franklin) kids me that I could easily take the bus to work (I live 3 miles from work). I say fine - you run home for every home repair, delivery, trip to the vet. I average at least one trip per week. Until the bus can get me home in 15 minutes - from work, I "need" my car.  My perspective is definitely curmudgeonly, but I know my friends. 

All valid points, those are definitely significant inconveniences. Of course, you have to weigh them against the negative consequences of mass car commuter-based development (air quality, pedestrian deaths/car crashes, more expensive development, neighborhoods carved up by multi-lane roads and interstates, social isolation, etc.). But when those consequences are baked in and we're all sharing the price tag, the vast majority of people are certainly going to drive everywhere.

I'm still excited to see a few developments challenging the assumption that everybody needs a $30,000 parking space everywhere they go, and that we should all pay that price tag whether we use it or not. If we can start to wind down some of the hidden subsidies and align individual incentives with what's best for the city, people may make a different calculation about the tradeoffs. I think there's a huge unmet appetite for walkable, human-scale places that aren't built around the needs of moving and storing cars. We're a long way away from breaking out of that model, but we take a few steps every year, and this pattern is a great example.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

I keep wondering how this is being built with no onsite parking? How do you market this? Have the neighboring buildings worked out agreements?

I think they will be able to park in other Market Street owned buildings is my guess. That will probably decrease the number of available public spaces for parking but there seems to always be spaces in the Gulch Crossings building.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome to town chriss752! If you are in town and not doing anything Satuday morning, feel free to join us at the foum meet. If you need directions and parking info just go to the Dave Luna Forum Meet thread pinned on the first page and ask questions.

Great photos BTW. Lots going on here.

• Like 2