Harlowe, 908 Division, 16 stories, 180', 300 units, 411 car garage, Greystar Development

markhollin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Harlowe was evacuated due to concrete cracks in the garage. Via NewsChannel 5:

An apartment building in the Gulch has been evacuated after cracks and damaged concrete was found in the parking garage. Representatives of Harlowe Apartments say the damage occurred due to recent construction at a work site adjacent to the building. 

The building has been evacuated while engineers assess the condition of the structure and access to the parking garage has been closed.

90.thumb.jpeg.cc691d6bf0fe8823382e6d1499ea80ec.jpeg

• Sad 8

20 minutes ago, thenorthchannel said:

Greystar was doing blasting next to a building they just finished and it blew out a column.   

Is that the "diagnosis" of the cracks?  And I assume it's from the construction of the dual brand hotel next door. Or is it some other blasting they're doing? 

I think it may be a convenient excuse for shoddy construction. Blasting occurs all the time around all of these buildings and is monitored by the state.

It could be the case, but a brand new building????  I am not an engineer, so I will defer to the engineers on the board.  What do you folks think?????

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think it may be a convenient excuse for shoddy construction. Blasting occurs all the time around all of these buildings and is monitored by the state.

It could be the case, but a brand new building????  I am not an engineer, so I will defer to the engineers on the board.  What do you folks think?????

What i have always felt about concrete column and slab constructionhere in Nashville...totally insufficient requirements for seismic performance.  If mere blasting caused this, even with allegations of shoddy construction, that says a lot about how these buildings will perform in a large quake.  All the steel construction like the Amazon towers should be fine, but I question whether many structures  can avoild pancaking here in Nashville in a big event.  I am pleased that one of the WORST (TPAC) will likely soon be demolished.   I would be interested to see any studies on tall, slender towers like Prime or Alcove.  Stell towers have harmonic sway that protects from structural collapse, I am not aware that ridgid frame concrete towers perform similarly.  This IMO is not limited to tower as structural design codes have changed over the past several decades.  Older buildings that were compliant when built, may no longer be expected to perform well even when designed by competent engineers and architects.  A great deal of seismic knowledge based on shape, height  and other factors have made many existing older buildings performance questionable IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Baronakim said:

What i have always felt about concrete column and slab construction here in Nashville...totally insufficient requirements for seismic performance.  If mere blasting caused this, even with allegations of shoddy construction, that says a lot about how these buildings will perform in a large quake.

Those were my very first thoughts. Why should concrete support columns crack during a little bit of blasting in a seismic zone. I back to shoddy construction or a bad batch of concrete. Something is rotten here and I think the engineers may figure it out and it will not be good news for Greystar.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baronakim said:

What i have always felt about concrete column and slab constructionhere in Nashville...totally insufficient requirements for seismic performance.  If mere blasting caused this, even with allegations of shoddy construction, that says a lot about how these buildings will perform in a large quake.

Our seismic requirements aren't particularly high AFAIK, so wind—rather than seismic—is typically the controlling factor in Nashville.

It will be interesting to hear what happened here.

1 hour ago, go_outside said:

Our seismic requirements aren't particularly high AFAIK, so wind—rather than seismic—is typically the controlling factor in Nashville.

It will be interesting to hear what happened here.

Sorry but while the seeismic REQUIREMENTS are not high, but from my studies over the past five decades, IMO they are dangerously inadequate.  I have conferred  over the years with a top seimologist at Vanderbilt and also the heads of TEMA nad FEMA here in Tennessee and they agreed with the inadequacies.  Regretably these standards are legislatively controlled and do not  recognize conditions which are now 40 to 50 years MORE stressed than they were when I first started my practice as an architect.  It has now been over 200 years since the New Madrid movement on the southern end of the Reelfoot Rift, but MUCH longer since the northern end up through the Wabash River into Illinois and Indiana.  There lies our biggest threat to Nashville.  I definitely do not believe  that people today understand the gravity of the forces involved.  The New Madrid quakes were devastating more from liquification than from the actual forces in the bedrock.  Here in Nashville, the settlers wer knocked off their feet and could not stand for over a couple of minutes.  Only stone chimneys were collapsed for the most part and the interlocking log construction of small log cabins was adequate to allow movement.  Not so today.  On top of many structural systems that may perform questionably, there is the fact that all seismic studies for the gravity dams on our rivers were done back in the 1940s and 50s,  Virtually all of these werecalculated at much lower pool levels than the resevoirs are currently maintained. which endangers the earthen dikes adjacent to the concrete dams.  A quake of similar magnitude could have significant and immediate breaches, especially upstream of Nashville.  Do not place a great deal of faith in  government standards  we have today.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

Sorry but while the seeismic REQUIREMENTS are not high, but from my studies over the past five decades, IMO they are dangerously inadequate.  I have conferred  over the years with a top seimologist at Vanderbilt and also the heads of TEMA nad FEMA here in Tennessee and they agreed with the inadequacies.  Regretably these standards are legislatively controlled and do not  recognize conditions which are now 40 to 50 years MORE stressed than they were when I first started my practice as an architect.  It has now been over 200 years since the New Madrid movement on the southern end of the Reelfoot Rift, but MUCH longer since the northern end up through the Wabash River into Illinois and Indiana.  There lies our biggest threat to Nashville.  I definitely do not believe  that people today understand the gravity of the forces involved.  The New Madrid quakes were devastating more from liquification than from the actual forces in the bedrock.  Here in Nashville, the settlers wer knocked off their feet and could not stand for over a couple of minutes.  Only stone chimneys were collapsed for the most part and the interlocking log construction of small log cabins was adequate to allow movement.  Not so today.  On top of many structural systems that may perform questionably, there is the fact that all seismic studies for the gravity dams on our rivers were done back in the 1940s and 50s,  Virtually all of these werecalculated at much lower pool levels than the resevoirs are currently maintained. which endangers the earthen dikes adjacent to the concrete dams.  A quake of similar magnitude could have significant and immediate breaches, especially upstream of Nashville.  Do not place a great deal of faith in  government standards  we have today.

Oh man. I already have to make an effort to not stress about the Wolf Creek, Dale Hollow, Center Hill, Cordell Hull, Old Hickory, or Percy Priest Dams failing, now there's this to think about too. Not to sound like an alarmist but we really seem overdue for something serious.

• 2 months later...