Greenville Highrise Index

goodbye

I'm not opposing the style, I just don't think it HAS to be the exact same style with the same elements to fit-in. Take the John Hancock Tower in Boston. Here's a quote that discusses its glass use:

Despite is enormity in its local area, its presence is made less overpowering by its pure, crystal-like geometry and reflecting glass skin. The dominant view when you are close to the building is of the nearby historical buildings reflected with subtle distortions of color and shape in the Hancock Tower's glass.

To stand in Court Square and look at this new tower, but not really see it, because you're really seeing the reflection of the Westin, the Liberty Building, and the Court House would be really cool, IMO. To look from the other side, you'd see Kent Court and the Peacock. It'd fit in with its surroundings because it reflects and shows those surroundings is what I'm imagining.

Nonetheless, I'm excited about more investment in the City Center district.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant say much but yours truly heard some good info about the 9-story building and it is going to be brick definetly. I would imagine this is a definite go on this one. Quicker than the peacock or pinnacle this one will be. Can someone come take my pictures while im laying brick? I would like that. lol

Edited by erm1981

They have to get the structure up first so it will be safe for us. I would think by fall they will have it up. I feel more confident about this one then i did about the peacock and pinnacle before they started.

I do as well.

Harper and Furman, two big local names, it doesn't get much better than that. As locals, there reputation is on the line. National or regional players could pull the plug with far less concern for that.

July might be optimistic (Murphy's law being what it is) , but within a month or two of that, I think you will see serious activity going on.

The DPC has already given informal but positive reviews of the design. Since a Construction company and a R.E. company are the owners/developers, financing should be less difficult. Also, the low number of units (7)* certainly helps with financing, and two are already spoken for. It may take as little as one additional pre-sale to get the financial backing for this, that's my guess anyway. Two should certainly do the trick.

It sounds as if this will 'fill-in' that Court street gap very nicely. I think we will see this started LONG before we will see anything happen at the Gateway site.

To be fair, Peacock and Pinnacle shouldn't be compared. Peacock only missed it's start by a couple of months, Pinnacle was a couple of years... and counting.

*First floor- retail or office, 6 single floor units, 1 two floor penthouse. - total of 7 units, not Eight.

Well this one sounds promising, but I can't help but be a little hesitant, what with all the wolves around town the last couple of years. :whistling:

I think the architecture will be fine, this part of DT is pretty historic, and it should compliment the other midrises nicely (still wish someone would build one a little taller here though, to put a new tier there). This combined with the city hall hotel should really add some nice density.

Those of you that would take the 5 ten storey buildings may actually be getting your wish, if you think about it.

Pinnacle ? 14

Peacock 13

Court St 9

Rhett St 8

City Hall 7

Who knows, perhaps a couple of the larger rumored ones will happen (in our lifetimes) and we will be able to have our cakes and eat them too. :shades:

I think Charlotte also benefits from a favorable geography with regards to its skyline views. Uptown sits on a ridge, and the interstate tends to run along a different ridge and crest hills in the right places. I-85 in Greenville tends to be lower, and it doesn't hit the high points very frequently. Plus the highest part of downtown only contains a few of the skyscrapers, while the rest are located going downhill on Main St. I guess I've never payed attention to that view of Gville from 85. I'm going to make it a point to check it out next time I drive through there.

Since a Construction company and a R.E. company are the owners/developers, financing should be less difficult. Also, the low number of units (7)* certainly helps with financing, and two are already spoken for. It may take as little as one additional pre-sale to get the financial backing for this, that's my guess anyway. Two should certainly do the trick.

As with any large building, pre-sales are virtually the same as financing. If you have the one, you get the other. Even those lucky few who don't need that kind of financing, rarely use the "if you build it they will come" philosophy. I'd be suprised if almost all of the floors weren't already spoken for. Of course, that doesn't mean that the floors won't sell again before the construction is finished.

Same thing goes for other highrises. The plans come and go, but if the floors aren't spoken for, they financing won't happen, and the building won't go up.

As with any large building, pre-sales are virtually the same as financing. If you have the one, you get the other. Even those lucky few who don't need that kind of financing, rarely use the "if you build it they will come" philosophy. I'd be suprised if almost all of the floors weren't already spoken for. Of course, that doesn't mean that the floors won't sell again before the construction is finished.

Same thing goes for other highrises. The plans come and go, but if the floors aren't spoken for, they financing won't happen, and the building won't go up.

Pre-sales do go hand in hand with financing, but the threshold (50%, 60%, 75%) can vary with the applicant, the project and the economy. I would think the threshold would be lower than it might otherwise be, because of the principals involved. I agree that most of these floors probably are already spoken for.

What is your occupation? Are you a developer here greenvillegrows?

No, I'm not a developer, but I guess I've been around the block a time or two.

I wasn't trying to distract from the discussion. Instead, I was hinting toward the idea that there are very few dice rollers out there that have money. The "let's sign that multi-million dollar, break me if I can't pull it off, note because the project should work" folks are usually not the same group as the "experienced" folks. If these are experienced developers, enough of the building is spoken for to take most of the risk out of it. If a bank's involved, the bank makes sure, often because the law makes them, that most of the risk is out of it.

Because, even when most of the risk is taken out of something like this, there's still enough risk to make most folks stay away from putting their name on that note -- unless of course they had nothing to lose to begin with meaning they wouldn't qualify anyway.

This isn't just true of development.

Highrises will come when the demand to fill them is here. Developers don't invent demand, they supply it.

• 2 weeks later...

Tower updates:

Camperdown Condos-Dead. They just don't want to admit it.

Peacock Hotel and Spa-Delayed or not delayed? That is the question.

Pinnacle on Main-Delayed forever

Main and McBee nine story building-Delayed forever

TAFAB-Built only in your dreams

Gateway site-Might as well put a park here for a couple decades

Eight story Rhett Street condo tower-Possibly built soon, but will be delayed no doubt

Nine story Court Street mixed use tower-Probably the only one that will get built on time

Bookends phase II-Hopefully sometime this year, but don't count on it

Riverplace phase II & III-I thought the city had money for the garage now. Oh Hughes, where are you? Hiding under a rock, I suppose.

Edited by g-man430

Tower updates:

Camperdown Condos-Dead. They just don't want to admit it.

Peacock Hotel and Spa-Delayed or not delayed? That is the question.

Pinnacle on Main-Delayed forever

Main and McBee nine story building-Delayed forever

TAFAB-Built only in your dreams

Gateway site-Might as well put a park here for a couple decades

Eight story Rhett Street condo tower-Possibly built soon, but will be delayed no doubt

Nine story Court Street mixed use tower-Probably the only one that will get built on time

Bookends phase II-Hopefully sometime this year, but don't count on it

Riverplace phase II & III-I thought the city had money for the garage now. Oh Hughes, where are you? Hiding under a rock, I suppose.

Dude, I thought this was the Highrise Index page, not the Highrise rant page. :lol: I know, I know...it's difficult not to rant about these things when we get our hopes so high and see them dashed repeatedly. That's just the nature of the beast though.

On the up-side: after sitting with empty lots behind me for six years and all that run-off and erosion, they're finally building homes back there! :whistling:

In the near future I see, the Greenville News announcing a new tower to be. It will be tall; hopefully it won't run into a wall. You'll able to see it from afar and drive to it in a car. It's time for Greenville to step up to the plate like a person going on a blind date. One thing is for certain, it will bring sexy back.

Edited by g-man430

In the near future I see, the Greenville News announcing a new tower to be. It will be tall; hopefully it won't run into a wall. You'll able to see it from afar and drive to it in a car. It's time for Greenville to step up to the plate like a person going on a blind date. One thing is for certain, it will bring sexy back.

I can't tell if you're serious due to the rhyme :lol: . Any more details? or are you speculating?