Greenville Highrise Index

goodbye

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, I love to see the current development in Greenville, but I do feel that there is a limit to the heights that are appropriate here. I am all for increasing density in the core of the city, but I wouldn't want to see a 70 story building stuck in our downtown. Buildings less than 20 stories are great for a town like this. Does anyone else agree?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope - I agree with ya 100%. I would like to see 1 or 2 30-story buildings, but that's the max. Everything else should be under 25 or 20 and the pedestrian's concerns should be an absolute essential with all new projects.

The skyline will inevitably continiue to grow over the next few decades. I think it is conceivable that we may see a few 50+ stories someday (if we're still alive by then). At the current rate of growth and being located where it is, Greenville is on the way up, IMO.

Check out the Greenville News article (Tuesday's Business section) on the current employment outlook in Greenville. One of the best in the entire Nation! :D

Yikes! Some of those towers are really ugly. I am sure that many people on this forum will disagree with me, but I am not at all a fan of extremely tall buildings. I think the old Le Corbusier idea of towers in a park is not really conducive to a real urban environment in most cases. The urban environment needs to really exist at the street level. Many of the skyscrapers of the last 20 years do not address the pedestrian standing at ground level, but serve primarily as monuments in a skyline. Great cities like Amsterdam, Venice, Prague, Rome, Paris, etc. have a very dense urban fabric without many tall buildings. Remember a few years ago when many Parisians were against lifting the ban on skyscrapers in the city. Compare those cities to Hong Kong where the tall towers further separate the haves from the have nots.

That said, I love to see the current development in Greenville, but I do feel that there is a limit to the heights that are appropriate here. I am all for increasing density in the core of the city, but I wouldn't want to see a 70 story building stuck in our downtown. Buildings less than 20 stories are great for a town like this. Does anyone else agree?

This link to an article about Miami's building boom makes some good points about the idea of the "skybox" city.

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/miamiherald...miherald_living

I might be in the minority on this one, but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this article and how it relates to Greenville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do agree with the author of this article. As more and more of these building go up. The prices do to. And that is the main reason why most of the average buyers

of home today go further and further out. To find the less expensive homes. But all can't do this. So what ends up happenning is this. The wealth buy downtown, the more affuent ( the suburbanite ) used to be city dweller, those that are to

good to go back. And you know who's in the middle. Your right. The poor and destitute. :angry: I see this more and more. But at least some cities, especially here in

Greenville, they are trying to keep affordable housing closer to the city center. But

that isn't the case in all cities. You have cities like Charlotte and Atlanta who tore down housing developements near their downtowns to replace them with more expensive residences. The only thing the suprised me, especially in charlotte, was

the fact that they did not even try to attempt to replace them. They did not even have to be downtown. Just near. But my fellow forumers in Charlotte know what I am talkin' about. But just like I said it is happinning more often these days. I just hope to see a change in this kind of thinking before it is to late.

This link to an article about Miami's building boom makes some good points about the idea of the "skybox" city.

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/miamiherald...miherald_living

I might be in the minority on this one, but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this article and how it relates to Greenville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was quite possibly the best article I have ever read. This is what Ive been saying for some time. Everything that is publicized in downtown Greenville is "luxury." Well, I can't afford luxury. I am fairly certain that as a college graduate, if I wanted to move to Greenville, I'd have to live in a suburban apartment complex somewhere.

My friends and I went to Greenville to go to the Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurant on Tuesday. A great place to go by the way. While were there, we went to check out the new Falls Park, which I had not been to since it was completed. What a great place! The West End is coming along nicely :) Now, I said that to tell you this- while we were there, we drove past alot of these condo projects that are going on downtown and near downtown, and many commented on how great it would be to live in downtown. So much great stuff going on there. But most, if not all, of these projects are luxury, or 'upscale.' As I said before, I can't afford luxury. I will consider myself fortunate if I can ever afford 'nice.' So, what is a person like me supposed to do if they want to live downtown and be a part of it. I ask that rhetorically, of course.

Nope - I agree with ya 100%.  I would like to see 1 or 2 30-story buildings, but that's the max.  Everything else should be under 25 or 20 and the pedestrian's concerns should be an absolute essential with all new projects.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree as well. Greenville needs a few big boys to give some height and variety, but so long as things continue to be scaled for pedestrians at the street level, Greenville will continue to thrive. Its just like that article said- the big cities that are successful have streets lined with shops, not parking garages and blank walls.

Slightly off topic here- but this is one of my issues with Spartanburg. We have so much potential here, but the leadership and planning entities in this city seem to want every buliding to have a freaking lawn- which of course is NEVER USED! Check out ESA, the Library, and the Marriott. All large structures that are essential to the city, and they all have lawns. But then you have other buildings like Advance America, Denny's tower and QS/1 that are all better examples of what should be done. And now that the city is starting to grow, we have some luxury condos going up around town- near, but not in, downtown- but there is not strong demand for them. My question is why don't they build some units and sell them for upper middle class, or the middle class? The 100 or so apartment units downtown have about a 95% occupancy rate. The demand is obviously there. I just don't understand this process at all.

Perhaps that article is right- downtowns are just becoming expensive themeparks for the rich, and the commoner like me just gets to visit.

I do agree with the author of this article. As more and more of these building go up. The prices do to. And that is the main reason why most of the average buyers

of home today go further and further out. To find the less expensive homes. But all can't do this. So what ends up happenning is this. The wealth buy downtown, the more affuent ( the suburbanite ) used to be city dweller,  those that are to

good to go back.  And you know who's in the middle. Your right. The poor and destitute. :angry:  I see this more and more. But at least some cities, especially here in

Greenville, they are trying to keep affordable housing closer to the city center. But

that isn't the case in all cities. You have cities like Charlotte and Atlanta who tore down housing developements near their downtowns to replace them with more expensive residences. The only thing the suprised me, especially in charlotte, was

the fact that they did not even try to attempt to replace them. They did not even have to be downtown.  Just near. But my fellow forumers in Charlotte know what I am talkin' about. But just like I said it is happinning more often these days. I just hope to see a change in this kind of thinking before it is to late.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I have even commented about this in the Charlotte forum before. I think it would be great to live in Uptown, but there is no place for me to go.

Pardon my ignorance, but where is Cheeseburger in Paradise?  Sounds like a hip place to me.  I'm no parrothead, but I do enjoy Jimmy Buffett. B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not Margaritaville, but the food is good.

http://www.cheeseburgerinparadise.com/

It's out on Haywood Road where the old Gateway Computers Store was (i.e the shopping center where Rhodes Furniture just vacated and Babies 'R Us is located if the Gateway store pre-dates you).

I'm very anxious about the Falls @ Broad development.  That crane will definitely dominate the skyline! B)  I just want to see a tall building with something other than a flat rooftop. <_<  That's one reason I love the Poisett Plaza office building so much. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Greenville Journal for Friday has a rendering of the Tower at Falls & Broad project (see page 13). It looks like a terrific structure although there seems to ultimately be a flat top.

There is also a website for this project listed, however, as of tonight the website clearly looks like it just getting setup. The website listed is www.thetoweratfallsandbroad.com.

It's not Margaritaville, but the food is good.

http://www.cheeseburgerinparadise.com/

It's out on Haywood Road where the old Gateway Computers Store was (i.e the shopping center where Rhodes Furniture just vacated and Babies 'R Us is located if the Gateway store pre-dates you).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

exactly. Margaritaville is much better, but these aren't shabby. Its the same company as Outback, so you get good quality but at cheaper prices than Outback :)

exactly. Margaritaville is much better, but these aren't shabby. Its the same company as Outback, so you get good quality but at cheaper prices than Outback :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks RT & Spartan,

Sorry to get O/T here, but speaking of Outback chains, I highly recommend the Bonefish Grill on Woodruff Rd. VERY fresh fish and good atmosphere. :thumbsup:

Here's the Rendering of the Tower at Falls and Broad from this week's Greenville Journal:

ToweratFallsandBroad2.jpg

Edit:  I didn't scan the entire article - just the rendering...sorry :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you very much, RT! :D I can't imagine how tall some of those floors must be, if the thing is supposed to be 350' tall. I really wanted to see something dramatic on top, but I guess we'll be extremely grateful for what we get anyway. :thumbsup: I definitely like the surrounding buildings as well. Hope they will all be included in the same project. Can't wait to see a 3-D rendering composited into a shot of downtown. :) That willl look great from afar!

That is a bizzare building :) I'm glad to see a rendering of it. Thanks for scanning that RT. Is the green stuff/plants actually a part of the building (not on balconies, but on the buiding itself some how), or just plants that people put on balconies?

That is a bizzare building :) I'm glad to see a rendering of it. Thanks for scanning that RT. Is the green stuff/plants actually a part of the building (not on balconies, but on the buiding itself some how), or just plants that people put on balconies?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was wondering the same thing. It looks like vines that are planted into the balconies to me. There even appears to be a tree on the top.

It is an artists' conceptual rendering after all, so who knows what it will be like in the end.

Thanks for this RT! :thumbsup: Would love to see the building actually have the greenery planted on the higher floors....draping over....that would seem very fitting for downtown GREENville, along with the trees on main, Falls Park, the tree plantings in the center of 385, etc. Would bring a nice, natural softness to the tower. Makes sense here....green and lush! Combine nature and architecture.

I think you'll see Greenville continue to surprise with it's architecture. Don't think GV is going to do run of the mill.

Folks keep in mind that the actual building that eventually gets built will probably not look anything like this rendering. It looks like the architect spent ten minutes on it.

As the architect does more work and the potential tenants give input, the design will change. Personally, I think they could do a lot better. The Camperdown building has changed quite a bit since it was initially proposed a couple years back, for example.

Are the smaller buildings to the left alread ythere, or are they a part of the structure?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These must be included in the overall design of The Tower. You'll notice how they "wrap" it on at least two sides. The one to the left looks like a 6-story building, which is actually pretty substantial for a sidestreet (of course there are several others all over downtown, but this appears more pedestrian-friendly B ). I look forward to the extention of the "Main Street feel" further out. :thumbsup:

Are the smaller buildings to the left alread ythere, or are they a part of the structure?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. They will have to construct every thing you see. There are alot of one and two story buildings there. And they should have been gone along time ago.