Greenville Highrise Index

goodbye

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you click on development #9 in that interactive report, it describes how five floors of condos are being built on top of an existing parking garage. When the garage was first built, the foundation was structured to sustain a few more additional floors. That's one of the coolest things I've seen. I wonder if something like that could possibly work in Greenville, assuming that the same situation exists with one of the city's parking garages?

I was able to obtain a very nice overview document from Craig Gaulden Davis Architects while working on a project. The floorplans are very nice indeed. The ground-level will have a diagonal entrance at the corner of Main and McBee. B)

I'm sure some redesign has been done over the recent years so that it will blend into the style of that block. The building itself looks very much like the rendering has shown from the beginning. I'll see if I can post the rendering of the side elevation along McBee Avenue. :)

I can't tell you when it will break ground, but most likely not far off.

The diagonal entrance is definitely there. These elevation drawings are often deceptive because they don't show any depth. One thing I said when upon first seeing these renderings was that this would make a very nice tower if it were double the amount of floors. That would make a great location for such a tower. B)

You are both right. Everything colored in is the Main at McBee building, and the rest is Wachovia Place. I remember thinking the same thing about the inset balcony near the top of the building, but it is hard to tell by these flat elevations. A larger view of the perspective drawing is what we need, because it doesn't look like it is there. Either way it will make a nice building. :thumbsup:

An ARTICLE in the Greenville News says that:

The Tower at Falls and Broad is in a holding pattern due to construction costs.

The Tower at Broad & Main is dead due to landowner issues.

Pinnacle on Main is delayed due to slow sales.

Main & McBee does not have enough tenants to justify starting project.

:cry:

Since the Tower at F&B is holding and the Tower at B&M is dead, then maybe the Pinnacle could pick up a sale or 2.

My dad and I looked at investing in the Pinnacle several months ago, but the floors are pretty expensive. I think we figured it was going to be around $350 per finished sq. ft. At the end of the day, we just wanted a better cap rate than we were going to get there. When you are talking about investing a million dollars+, as a small company, we want to spread around our exposure to risk as well.

I do think this will be a good building for Greenville though. I am still excited about seeing it go up.

It was pretty obvious to me that all of these buildings would not "make", considering there are other buildings planned as well. The demand for office space has not surged enough to justify all 9-10 buildings that have been announced. The Main & McBee building has been around since August 2001, so it is not a huge surprise that it has not leased up. Everything that gets proposed does not get built. Most of these sites will probably have a project go up on them, but it may be different developers and it will take a few years.

The Pinnacle project is the most disappointing since it seemed groundbreaking was immenient.

Has BofA decided to stay put or is looking at other sites?

Didn't we hear a few weeks ago that a hotel would be in part of the Tower at Falls and Broad? Isn't this building also supposed to be the tallest in SC (with possible competition from a new one in Myrtle Beach)?

I really hope some of these materialize. I am disappointed that we won't be getting more density (and height) along Broad as quickly as we had originally thought.

I am also optimistic that The Pinnacle on Main will happen, especially since someone here contacted them and they said they were hoping to get started in a month or two.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought Pinnacle on main was 14 stories.

:sick: That Pinnacle is just plain ugly. None of the charm of the Liberty Life bldg., which it seems to be trying to emulate somewhat. The red brick as shown doesn't work for me either. A copper roof a-la the Pierre or Sherry Netherland Hotel in NYC would improve it and help unify the hodge-podge elements of the upper floors. But I give them credit for trying. Way better than some of the monstrosities in Charlotte and Atlanta. It would be great if someone built a Frank Lloyd Wright midrise on Main St. He designed several that were never built. Greenville seems to be searching for it's own architectural vernacular, Wright-style would be just right, IMHO! There is that authentic FLW house off N. Main St. as a precedent after all...

I think I like the Pinnacle on Main building. It's different, but in a good way, I think. It will hopefully detract people from the bland architecture of the nearby Landmark Building (can we please update the exterior somehow?).

If you aren't a big fan of the Pinnacle on Main building, I am really curious to hear what you think about the Tower at Falls and Broad:

http://www.thetoweratfallsandbroad.com/