Greenville Highrise Index

goodbye

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone. I was wondering if all you people in the know could give me an update on what is going on downtown with all the towers. Which ones are still on go and which ones have shut down and a link to any websites for these projects, any help would be much appreciated.

Gviller.

Hi Gviller! As far as I know, the information on Page 1 of this very thread should be up-to-date (complete with links to web sties) Click Here to Go There.

Edited by RestedTraveler

I think I like the Pinnacle on Main building. It's different, but in a good way, I think. It will hopefully detract people from the bland architecture of the nearby Landmark Building (can we please update the exterior somehow?).

If you aren't a big fan of the Pinnacle on Main building, I am really curious to hear what you think about the Tower at Falls and Broad:

http://www.thetoweratfallsandbroad.com/

Don't like that one much either. Although that rendering is so crude it's hard to tell what it really looks like. A great architect is not much more expensive than a lousy one, I'm sure the really good ones would love to design a building in Greenville. Calatrava, Norman Foster, Robert Stern, Helmut Jahn, Cesar Pelli, etc.

Don't like that one much either. Although that rendering is so crude it's hard to tell what it really looks like. A great architect is not much more expensive than a lousy one, I'm sure the really good ones would love to design a building in Greenville. Calatrava, Norman Foster, Robert Stern, Helmut Jahn, Cesar Pelli, etc.

Don't worry, it's being redesigned. A collaboration of several architects i believe. So, hopefully it will be more satisfying! And actually i was told that it will look NOTHING like that rendering.

Edited by GvilleSC

• 2 weeks later...

I just came across this proposed City-County Government Office Building in a thread about Asheville, NC over on the North Carolina Forum:

building.jpg

Call me crazy, but something like this (only a few floors taller) would be an awesome addition to our own skyline. :thumbsup:

Also, the concept of having a City-County Government complex would be nice too. I can see it now on the corner of Church and East North, opposite the new Federal Court House building. This would free up University Ridge for some better residential/mixed-use and also perhaps allow the current City Hall to be rennovated or replaced with another tower.

Just day-dreaming, I know. Still, this is a sharp looking building, IMHO.

I saw a feature on WSPA-7 this evening about the Piazza Bergamo, Bank of America Rennovation, etc.

Specifically, the story was about plans to replace the patch of grass outside of the Mast General Store with a paved plaza and efforts to "Keep the Green in Greenville."

However, there was a brief point in the story where they showed a model of the project. It looked great! From what I could tell, the breezeway bridge is gone. Also, there was a tree-lined paved patio and fountain between North Main and the Bank of America Building, which looked VERY different (i.e. it appeared to be almost entirely glass on the exterior or perhaps painted black instead of white). Also, the two buildings flanking the Washington Ave side of the Bank of America Building looked very nice as well. The Bank of America Building will take on a new address once all of this is complete, too: 101 North Main.

Here is the article on WSPA-7's Web Site. I wish they had video or a photo there of the model.

According to the story, this design is going before the City's Design and Preservation Commission on Thursday at 5:00pm at Greenville City Hall and then will go on before City Council for a final vote if approved on Thursday.

Edit: If anybody attends this meeting on Thursday, PLEASE snap a few photos of the model! :ph34r: I'll never make it down to City Hall by 5:00pm, myself.

The model has been on display in side the lobby of BofA plaza, you can see it there as well, or you could anyways, I assume it is still there.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This thread is way too dead for a City as awesome as Greenville! How is it that we haven't seen the first crane go up within the past year?

Imagine the tower The South Financial Group would have given Greenville - had they decided to build one. I think it is vital for any city to have major construction projects going on at all times because it shows visitors that the economy is fairly strong in that community. People need to witness the growth and change of a city's skyline to help give a more solidified sense of satisfaction and pride. I completely understand that highrises alone do not make a city desireable, but I see no reason for the bustling and addicting downtown of Greenville to remain basically unchanged for nearly a decade.

I want everyone reading this post to PLEASE seriously consider the awesome possibility of moving your company - however large or small - into downtown Greenville, the true heart of the Upstate. With so many options available and announced, the selection should be relatively easy. :D

• 5 weeks later...

I am curious Gman430. Could you email Mr. Ellis and ask him about his second proposed 14 story building, or was that one of the ones that was "dead in the water." Also, in the intial article that came out about the Pinnacle, "Downtown Gives Risr to New Tower" (see first page of this thread), Mr. Ellis stated he had already COMMITMENTS for 7 out of 8 commercial floors, and that "it is going to happen." I wonder if some of those backed out. I also wonder if the second tower is off the table since this has had soooo much trouble taking off.

Thanks g-man430!

I was looking at emporis last night. I would like to see some architects of other cities come visit (or ours to take some notes). I think the BOA in Columbia would look really nice in Gville, and even the Wachovia tower in Greensboro would be something different and non-boxy. (Sorry, I don't know how to set up links to these pics). I kinda like the design for teh Pinnacle, but it is too much brick for me. If you look around DT, especially in the foreground going over Church ST, it is nothing but brick with small rectangular windows. Enough brick boxes, let's change it up a little! Even the Camperdown renderings are basically a brick box.