goodbye

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Read this in an article about Chicago today:

"Since 2000, no fewer than 40 buildings at least 50 stories high have been built, are under construction or are being planned."

Wow...can you imagine? And we can't get anything over 10 stories built.

Sounds eerily similar to what's going on in Miami.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys crack me up with your 'lust' (is that the right word?) over skyscrapers. :rofl:

I grew up in Anderson and Greenville which is why I spend time on this forum. Love it by the way. It's my best source of news about my hometown area.

But for highrise development Chicago is small time. There is no place like Asia. I live in Bangkok and Chicago's 40 @ 50 is child's play. Just for fun I counted the ones I could see while traveling four stops on our Skytrain. Mind you I was only able to look out one side of the window... I counted 23. I don't know that they are all going to be 50 floors. But they were all significant buildings with big cranes. There is no telling how many are going up in the city right now. 200+ I'm sure.

I love skyscrapers too, so you can imagine how much fun I'm having. :D And Bangkok is small time compared to some of the cities in China. You guys studying or interested in urban planning/development ought to take a trip just to check it out. It's amazing.

• 1 month later...

So by the end of the year, we are expecting to see Peacock Hotel and The Pinnacle going up. We are almost 100% on Peacock, and fairly confident about The Pinnacle. We will at least see two nice 14-story buildings going up, that will both occupy formerly vacant land and improve our skyline. I think it's important to recognize this, especially since some other projects (like The Camperdown) have been giving us mixed signals.

Hopefully, by the time The Peacock starts going up, we will have heard something about the City Hall Plaza site. I am optimistic that it will be a nice mixed-use tower of significant height (at least 10 stories, perhaps closer to 20) if it is to include a hotel, residential, and/or business space. I am optimistic because the developer was quoted as saying that they were revising some things based on discussions with the city. I am taking that to mean that the city liked their initial proposal and wanted to tweak a few things before moving forward.

Thoughts?

So by the end of the year, we are expecting to see Peacock Hotel and The Pinnacle going up. We are almost 100% on Peacock, and fairly confident about The Pinnacle. We will at least see two nice 14-story buildings going up, that will both occupy formerly vacant land and improve our skyline. I think it's important to recognize this, especially since some other projects (like The Camperdown) have been giving us mixed signals.

Hopefully, by the time The Peacock starts going up, we will have heard something about the City Hall Plaza site. I am optimistic that it will be a nice mixed-use tower of significant height (at least 10 stories, perhaps closer to 20) if it is to include a hotel, residential, and/or business space. I am optimistic because the developer was quoted as saying that they were revising some things based on discussions with the city. I am taking that to mean that the city liked their initial proposal and wanted to tweak a few things before moving forward.

Thoughts?

I think it is good to recognize this. Thanks for actually bringing it forward!

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately, the Camperdown Condos project is currently in a holding pattern. SouthCorp Inc. who is developing the project is supposed to have a new lease come out on the project, due to the old one expiring. I'm not sure when that is going to happen. The company (The Marchant Company) selling the condos has taken the project off of their website and the Camperdown Condos main website has not been updated in at least six months.