• Start Date: NA
  • Floors: 14
  • Height:
  • Units: NA
  • Commercial space:
  • Developer: NA
  • Architect: Bob Ellis
  • Website(s):
  • Articles: Mentioned along with The Pinnacle on Main in THIS ARTICLE.
  • Renderings: NA

Divider2.png

[*]U.S. Federal Courthouse*

Gateway Site (Church Street at North Street)

• Type: Government
  • Floors: 8-12+
  • Height:
  • Commercial space:
  • Architect: NA
  • Website(s): NA
  • Articles: Greenville News Article on UrbanPlanet.org

Divider2.png

[*]The Peacock Hotel & Spa

McBee Avenue @ Spring Street

• Type: Hotel, Condo, and Restaurant
  • Start Date: September 2006
  • Floors: 14
  • Height:
  • Units:
  • Commercial space: NA
  • Developer: Mark Kent and Grant Peacock
  • Architect: Craig Gaulden Davis Architects
  • Articles:
The Greenville News - July 18, 2006
UrbanPlanet Discussion Thread: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=28266

[*]Renderings:

PeacockHotelSpa.jpg

Divider2.png

[*]Office Tower at Main and Broad

Main Street @ Broad Street

• Type: Mixed-Use: Office, retail, residential
  • Status: Dispute during land acquisition, Now looking for different property downtown
  • Floors: 15-20
  • Height: NA
  • Architect: MCA Architecture
  • Articles: NA

Divider2.png

[*]Mixed-use Tower at City Plaza

Main Street @ Broad Street, adjacent to City Hall

• Type: Mixed-Use: Office, retail, residential
  • Status: Plans submitted for review and approval by City Council
  • Floors: 12
  • Height: NA
  • Developer: Holmes Smith
  • Architect:
  • Articles: NA

*Funding for the new Federal Courthouse will not be available until next Fall at the earliest. The footprint will be rather large due to the required square footage and the limited number of floors spoken of to reporters. Early requirements for building design More Info Here

These are only projects that have been publicly mentioned to date.

Let's recap and update with our latest news. These are only the projects that we have the most definite information on; they aren't dead or in a holding pattern indefinitely:

1. Pinnacle on Main - 15 stories - Start date: July 2007

2. Peacock Hotel and Spa - 8 stories - August 2007 approval of new design

3. City Hall Plaza - 6 Stories - September 2007 City to sell land, December demolition commencement

4. Gateway Site - 25-27 stories - Preliminary research and design phase...

5. West End Rhett Street Tower - 8 stories - In design phase - 2008/2009 construction

6. Court Square tower - 9 stories - Start date: July 2007

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pinnacle will probably be our best bet on a tall highrise and this point. The other ones will just add to the density which is also a good thing but they will not be that visible from any kind of distance(3-4 miles away). I myself am holding any opinions on the new tower at the gateway site because of all the recent happenings with other highrises. We will just have to see what will happen to it and see if it just becomes another 10 story wannabe highrise tower.

The Pinnacle will probably be our best bet on a tall highrise and this point. The other ones will just add to the density which is also a good thing but they will not be that visible from any kind of distance(3-4 miles away). I myself am holding any opinions on the new tower at the gateway site because of all the recent happenings with other highrises. We will just have to see what will happen to it and see if it just becomes another 10 story wannabe highrise tower.

Do you still think that the Pinnacle will happen ERM? I am hopeful, but the climate for taking risks (even though I thought I remember reading it was mostly sold) on tall buildings seems to be changing. With the west end booming, N Main is a gamble still and all that Ive seen over there lately are tumble weeds (figuratively of course).

Speaking of, does anyone have the latest % un-leased office space numbers?

Speaking of, does anyone have the latest % un-leased office space numbers?

I don't, but I do know that occupancy numbers will be going down in the near future as two new tenants will soon (relatively) be making the Field House their new home, while at least one of those will NOT be freeing up space in the market.

G-man's source said that the Pinnacle was in talks with a large office tenant for the building.

Isn't that a really good Class A vacancy rate (i.e., the occupancy is high)?

It is definitely promising. But the very wide gap between the two indicates that the success of one may be partially at the expense of the other.

I assume these numbers are just for downtown. Is that correct?

Yes.

It is definitely promising. But the very wide gap between the two indicates that the success of one may be partially at the expense of the other.

Is the Daniel building considered Class A or B? How is the occupancy rate in that building?

Let's recap and update with our latest news. These are only the projects that we have the most definite information on; they aren't dead or in a holding pattern indefinitely:

1. Pinnacle on Main - 15 stories - Start date: July 2007

2. Peacock Hotel and Spa - 8 stories - August 2007 approval of new design

3. City Hall Plaza - 6 Stories - September 2007 City to sell land, December demolition commencement

4. Gateway Site - 25-27 stories - Preliminary research and design phase...

5. West End Rhett Street Tower - 8 stories - In design phase - 2008/2009 construction

6. Court Square tower - 9 stories - Start date: July 2007

Will update ASAP. I've been rather busy, and to be quite honeset, y'all post a lot here in the Gville section, so I can't always get to every thread, every day. PLEASE PM me with this kind of thing, as I want the list to be as up to date as possible!

Will update ASAP. I've been rather busy, and to be quite honeset, y'all post a lot here in the Gville section, so I can't always get to every thread, every day. PLEASE PM me with this kind of thing, as I want the list to be as up to date as possible!

THANKS!

Also, if you're up for it, The Federal Courthouse can be changed to searching for a new site. At least remove the Gateway Site from the details.

Edited by GvilleSC

List is updated. If anyone wants to scale down some renderings to the same width as the ones on the list, I wil add them to the appropriate places. Please let me know if there are any other errors that need to be corrected or things that need to be addeed. Thanks!

Class B... and it's 35-40% vacant.

and located directly accross the street from the preposed Pinnacle I might add. Sure the Pinnacle should be Class A, but I wonder if being newer and more expensive makes it a more wise decision for a potential tennant. Unless I was looking for a flagship location and had money to burn, I'd probably choose Daniel.

What's the difference between A & B? Where's the line drawn?

Quality of finish... but it can be subjective at times... based primarily upon whether a building is considered among the best properties in the market. But it is relative. Class A in our market may not be Class A in other markets, and vice versa.

Walk through the Daniel Building and then walk through Riverplace. There is definitely a gap between the two.

• 4 months later...

Bumping this thread because I thought we could revisit some of these.

Pinnacle on Main - Who knows? Hopefully soon. We are supposedly waiting on Triangle Construction to give Bob Ellis the start date for construction.

City Hall Plaza - Will be a Courtyard by Marriott. Six stories I believe, yes? Should see demolition begin by the end of the year with construction starting January or February.

Peacock Hotel and Spa - Construction is underway, although it will be 8 stories now instead of the 14 originally planned.

Bob Ellis second tower - Haven't heard anything about this lately. He has a rendering on his website of The Regent, a 14-story building proposed for Greenville, but g-man found out (from Bob himself) that this is not an actual project but rather a way to show potential clients some of the work they are capable of doing. Ugh.

Court Street tower - According to erm1981 this is still going to happen, although we have not heard anything since the "protest" this past summer. Is the city's reapproval the problem here?

Rhett Street condos - This was reduced from 10 stories to 8, and the developer said that this is not an urgent project for them. Still, I was thinking that we should be sending some renderings soon. Aren't they opening a sales office in the West End in the near future?

Keystone Properties, LLC building - This was supposed to go behind the Kimbrell's building (I assume where The Peacock is now), but was refused because the DPC was concerned about the preservation of the Kimbrell's building. This was supposedly going to be built regardless of presales. I wonder if they changed their minds and sold to The Peacock or are planning something else in another part of the city?

Riverplace Phase III building - When should we hear more about this? I'm hoping by summer 2008.

Gateway tower - This seems to be on schedule, but we won't see renderings anytime soon per g-man's contact with the developer. The city is talking about a potential skybridge across Church street to enhance the pedestrian link to this site.

Federal courthouse - Will probably be built on the Church and North Street site next to Palmetto Bank headquarters. It will be 11 stories per a recent Greenville News article. Construction will begin in 2010 (funds have to be raised between now and then) with a completion date of 2013.

Main at McBee - Project is on hold for now because they could not obtain enough office tenants. There is some activity on the site now, but I wonder if it is a staging area for The Peacock Hotel and Spa. I'm hoping for a redesign with a little more height.

Proposed tower at 211 South Main Street next to Hot Dog King (currently a surface parking lot) - This one died due to some sort of land dispute, and the developers were supposedly going to try to find another site downtown. I wonder if they are still looking? MCA Architecture was originally designing this.

Tower at Falls and Broad - Dead.

The Camperdown - Dead.

Main at McBee - Project is on hold for now because they could not obtain enough office tenants. There is some activity on the site now, but I wonder if it is a staging area for The Peacock Hotel and Spa. I'm hoping for a redesign with a little more height.

Activity on site is a result of the fact that, as you suspected, it is a staging area for The Peacock Hotel.

Bumping this thread because I thought we could revisit some of these.

Pinnacle on Main - Who knows? Hopefully soon. We are supposedly waiting on Triangle Construction to give Bob Ellis the start date for construction.

City Hall Plaza - Will be a Courtyard by Marriott. Six stories I believe, yes? Should see demolition begin by the end of the year with construction starting January or February.

Peacock Hotel and Spa - Construction is underway, although it will be 8 stories now instead of the 14 originally planned.

Bob Ellis second tower - Haven't heard anything about this lately. He has a rendering on his website of The Regent, a 14-story building proposed for Greenville, but g-man found out (from Bob himself) that this is not an actual project but rather a way to show potential clients some of the work they are capable of doing. Ugh.

Court Street tower - According to erm1981 this is still going to happen, although we have not heard anything since the "protest" this past summer. Is the city's reapproval the problem here?

Rhett Street condos - This was reduced from 10 stories to 8, and the developer said that this is not an urgent project for them. Still, I was thinking that we should be sending some renderings soon. Aren't they opening a sales office in the West

End in the near future?

Keystone Properties, LLC building - This was supposed to go behind the Kimbrell's building (I assume where The Peacock is now), but was refused because the DPC was concerned about the preservation of the Kimbrell's building. This was supposedly going to be built regardless of presales. I wonder if they changed their minds and sold to The Peacock or are planning something else in another part of the city?

Riverplace Phase III building - When should we hear more about this? I'm hoping by summer 2008.

Gateway tower - This seems to be on schedule, but we won't see renderings anytime soon per g-man's contact with the developer. The city is talking about a potential skybridge across Church street to enhance the pedestrian link to this site.

Federal courthouse - Will probably be built on the Church and North Street site next to Palmetto Bank headquarters. It will be 11 stories per a recent Greenville News article. Construction will begin in 2010 (funds have to be raised between now and then) with a completion date of 2013.

Proposed tower at 211 South Main Street next to Hot Dog King (currently a surface parking lot) - This one died due to some sort of land dispute, and the developers were supposedly going to try to find another site downtown. I wonder if they are still looking? MCA Architecture was originally designing this.

Tower at Falls and Broad - Dead.

The Camperdown - Dead.

Just a thought, we might want to take the projects which are "dead" off of the list. I don't think keeping the Camperdown and TAFAB on the list helps it look better. If we just want to add more projects, perhaps we should change the name to DT building index or something and include everything over 2 stories. :dontknow:

I've thought about changing this to more of an "urban projects index" so we can highlight lowrise projects that contribute to the urban environment (McBee Station for example) for the Upstate Metros. But in looking to the future I wonder how successful this type of thread is. People may read these threads al the time, but they may not. I do know that it hasn't generated much discussion activity on its own in recent months. I have been thinking about how things are being done in the SC section, so I'm going to discuss some options for the future with the staff and then talk to y'all about the ideas sometime soon.