Greenville Highrise Index

goodbye

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

My drone did catch the church building on West Washington Street getting ready to get demoed. Equipment now on site there. Lol. 

:D Maybe the aliens will finally come and save the gateway site. Or Bob Ellis and Grant Peacock will save it. Or maybe NYTransplant, RestedTraveler, and gsupstate will be resurrected and save it. Who knows.  Screw it...let's start a gofundme account on urbanplanet to build something there. 

LOL...good idea with go fund me. Forgot about the McClaren  construction....that'll keep you busy.  :D

• Like 1

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Welp...look at the stock market today and yesterday. You can forget about any highrises getting built downtown for several years now. 

I suspect we will see further reductions in interest rates to fire things back up.  Usually lower loan rates equate to taller nicer buildings but that is oversimplifying things enormously and leaving out construction and material costs and expected lease amounts and demand and ...

9 hours ago, gman430 said:

I’m in Washington DC currently and the number of  tower cranes up here currently is ridiculous. I can only dream of the day Greenville has this many up at one time. 

Two totally different sized cities and metros. One of the top 10 largest. We can be happy with what we're getting. Compare Greenville to metros of similar size and it's doing great with this.

12 hours ago, gman430 said:

I’m in Washington DC currently and the number of  tower cranes up here currently is ridiculous. I can only dream of the day Greenville has this many up at one time. 

I hope that NEVER happens. I have no desire to see Greenville become a boomtown and grow to an unmanageable size where the hassle of traffic and other big city headaches outweigh the appeal and fun of Greenville. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

I hope that NEVER happens. I have no desire to see Greenville become a boomtown and grow to an unmanageable size where the hassle of traffic and other big city headaches outweigh the appeal and fun of Greenville. 

TOTALLY agree, I'm happy to see growth but if growth outstrips the communal excitement and aforementioned fun our city provides it will be a net loss for everyone. I can always go to Atlanta or Charlotte if I'm that desperate to see multiple cranes...

(although a crane at the Gateway site would be cool)

2 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Well, Washington DC does have a very good mass transit system and their streets are set up in a grid like pattern so it’s really not as bad there as it could be. Atlanta is where you have to worry about it more I feel like.

Edited by gman430

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

Well, Washington DC does have a very good mass transit system and their streets are set up in a grid like pattern so it’s really not as bad there as it could be. Atlanta is where you have to worry about it more I feel like.

I worked in the DC area for a number of years--it's a total mess, every bit as bad as Atlanta, if not worse. The metro and regional rail system is a lot more extensive than ATL's, but if it's done anything to relieve congestion on highways, I couldn't tell. Reduce an hour-long commute by 5 minutes? And my visits there since moving away indicate that things haven't improved.

I've never been tempted to road rage like I was in D.C.

It may not have done a great job with dealing with the congestions on the roads but it did carry  626K riders a day in 2018....thats a lot of cars not on the road. The issue with the DC Metro is the gaps between lines are so big but the buses do a great job in filling them in. The unbelievable growth in the Northern Virgina region has made the need for vastly expanded transit clear. 

5 hours ago, Exile said:

I worked in the DC area for a number of years--it's a total mess, every bit as bad as Atlanta, if not worse. The metro and regional rail system is a lot more extensive than ATL's, but if it's done anything to relieve congestion on highways, I couldn't tell. Reduce an hour-long commute by 5 minutes? And my visits there since moving away indicate that things haven't improved.

I've never been tempted to road rage like I was in D.C.

I agree. I was much more stressed driving in DC rush hour than Atlanta's. 

9 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

The discussion about DC traffic issues makes me  :w00t: :shok:

Let’s talk about the stock market instead. :whistling: :D Who needs highrises when the stock market is collapsing? Good luck getting one financed after this week. Yeesh. 

Edited by gman430
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Let’s talk about the stock market instead. :whistling: :D Who needs highrises when the stock market is collapsing? Good luck getting one financed after this week. Yeesh. 

Do you think it will affect financing negatively?  I was thinking there would be more cuts to interest rates making it be easier to get bigger loans for less.  Unemployment seems unaffected so far so demand might still be good.  Most consumers dont live and die by the stock market so they will continue to buy stuff as long as they have jobs.  CEOs might have to sell their 4th vacation home but I am ok with that.   :-)

15 minutes ago, gman430 said:

We should all relax...take a deep breath.....then go to the bathroom and throw up.  :unsure:

I think this uncertainty that is coming from the Cornavirus is just bringing about a correction that has been long overdue. Once we get a handle on whats going on with this, everything will clear up....im my noneconomist opinion. Some of it is also just a result of the Saudi's playing hardball with Russia over oil....Russia wanted to play in the Opec League and then decided that they didn't like the way they played the game. The Saudi's are just showing them what happens when you agree to do something and then change your mind. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sptgguy said:

I think this uncertainty that is coming from the Cornavirus is just bringing about a correction that has been long overdue. Once we get a handle on whats going on with this, everything will clear up....im my noneconomist opinion. Some of it is also just a result of the Saudi's playing hardball with Russia over oil....Russia wanted to play in the Opec League and then decided that they didn't like the way they played the game. The Saudi's are just showing them what happens when you agree to do something and then change your mind. 

Hopefully situations  (virus, oil, stock market) will be in the rear view mirror by election time... 

• 5 months later...

I doubt we will hear about any new office skyscrapers coming anytime soon. Articles like this point to the future of headquarters and office space. “REI plans sale of unused eight-acre headquarters campus as the retailer embraces remote work.” https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/08/12/rei-seattle-headquarters-commercial-real-estate/

• 1 month later...

Why build empty office buildings?  The world of the office has completely changed.  Why would a company now pay premium for Class A downtown office space when employees can be more productive working form home, and these companies can save money for bricks and mortar rent.  The next focus is now going to be how can these offices spaces be repurposed so they can be leased out.