Greenville Highrise Index

goodbye

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I originally reported this. To my knowledge, the design that we've been seeing was never REALLY going to happen. From what I understand, it was more of like a marketing sort of thing... They are currently actually designing it for the FIRST time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make a bit of sense to me. When you look at the website, you see the same design and layout. It would be extremely detrimental to their marketing efforts to show one design, but never intend to use it from the beginning. I can understand the need/desire for improvement, but to start out with a false design and advertise it would not seem like good marketing to me. Maybe I'm missing something here? :unsure:

Edited by Skyliner

I agree. What if people purchased space there (or agreed to purchase space) because they happened to like the design we have been seeing all along? I hope they change the design to something better than what we've seen, but it is misleading to show a structure that looks nothing like the final product. They should've at least said "actual building will not look like this" or something to that effect. :)

While I would like to see a new design, I will certainly take the current design over no building at all. I hope they work out the details! I don't want us to be like Nashville, Tennessee with proposed buildings than never come to fruition.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard some good news today about the Tower of Falls and Broad. They have apparently contracted with a Hotel to use 7 of the floors.

Also, as for the redesign, they are getting rid of some of the terraces, when you are that high up it is too windy to use them that often and so they are going to have less of them.

I heard some good news today about the Tower of Falls and Broad.  They have apparently contracted with a Hotel to use 7 of the floors.

Also, as for the redesign, they are getting rid of some of the terraces, when you are that high up it is too windy to use them that often and so they are going to have less of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is indeed good news. By taking up so much of the available space, maybe they will add a few floors too. I'm not sure I buy the "too windy" claim. They are plenty of buildings going up in Charlotte, Jacksonville, Orlando, etc. that have balconies at 30, 40 even 50 foors.

As for forumer Greenville's question:

It isn't that rare, but it is unusual in a city the size of Greenville for a hotel and offices to be in the same BUILDING. However even the Hyatt has offices in the same COMPLEX. Same thing for the Marriott in Columbia.

That is indeed good news.  By taking up so much of the available space, maybe they will add a few floors too.  I'm not sure I buy the "too windy" claim.  They are plenty of buildings going up in Charlotte, Jacksonville, Orlando, etc. that have balconies at 30, 40 even 50 foors. 

As for forumer Greenville's question:

It isn't that rare, but it is unusual in a city the size of Greenville for a hotel and offices to be in the same BUILDING.  However even the Hyatt has offices in the same COMPLEX.  Same thing for the Marriott in Columbia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am told that the building will not be getting any taller.

A hotel, huh?  Forgive my lack of knowledge in this area, but is it common for a hotel to be in a building with offices?  I have never stayed anywhere that was a mix of hotel, business, and residential.

Is there any indication as to the quality of the hotel?  Are we talking Best Western or Hilton?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is more common in larger cities. The Hancock tower in Chicago is this way. I am sure there are many, many more in other places. It likely means that it would be a nice hotel. Obviously the Super 8 won't be the tennant :)

Thanks for the replies. I am glad that we are doing something that usually only happens in "larger" cities. :)

I went to the Hancock Center in Chicago this summer, and never realized that part of it was a hotel. That is a great building, though! I highly recommend going to the bar on the 95th floor to get a drink. The views of the city are absolutely AMAZING from up there!

I will be interested in hearing more about our Tower at Falls and Broad in the coming months. Thanks for passing along your insider info, Brad.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to see some Main at McBee renderings this week and it looks like a great addition to our Main Street area. :) Hopefully I'll be allowed to post some of them (front, side, floorplans). The street retail will continue the Wachovia Place style and theme. This building would actually look better if it were twice as tall. B)

I was able to see some Main at McBee renderings this week and it looks like a great addition to our Main Street area. :) Hopefully I'll be allowed to post some of them (front, side, floorplans). The street retail will continue the Wachovia Place style and theme. This building would actually look better if it were twice as tall. B)

That's awesome! I wish that someone would do something across Main St from that property... It's such an ugly building and dirty looking....

That's awesome! I wish that someone would do something across Main St from that property... It's such an ugly building and dirty looking....

I believe you are refering to the old Woolworth building. There are some issues with the ownership of the building, but I believe I read that efforts are being made to rectify the situation and develop the property.