Ideal Orlando Public Transportation

We don't have much of a say in it, but we have a lot of ideas.  Instead of loading up the Brightline or SunRail threads, just spam up this thread with whatever you'd like to throw out.

For me:

1. Connections from SunRail to the airports, both OIA and SFB
  2. Streetcar on I-drive to Convention Center, possibly connecting to at least 2 of the big theme parks if they'd help and even Mall @ Millennia if they'd come onboard (maybe end it meeting SunRail at a Holden station??? but yikes would that last couple of miles be in rough territory)
  3. Replace the Lymmo with a streetcar
  4. SunRail (heavy or light) extension to UCF to connect all 3 main campuses (Main, CV, Lake Nona)
  5. SunRail (or OBX however you wish to name it) to Ocala area.  At least Sin City (I think I spelled The Villages wrong), Mt. Dora, Eustis, and Tavares

Beyond our region, the expansion of Brightline to Jax, Tampa, and maybe even somewhere big like Savannah, Charleston, or even Atlanta.

I'd love to see Hyperloop, but frankly, I'm going to wait to see if it ever really becomes a functional thing.  It works and in theory it is epic, but we need real world experience.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

We don't have much of a say in it, but we have a lot of ideas.  Instead of loading up the Brightline or SunRail threads, just spam up this thread with whatever you'd like to throw out.

For me:

2. Streetcar on I-drive to Convention Center, possibly connecting to at least 2 of the big theme parks if they'd help and even Mall @ Millennia if they'd come onboard (maybe end it meeting SunRail at a Holden station??? but yikes would that last couple of miles be in rough territory)
  4. SunRail (heavy or light) extension to UCF to connect all 3 main campuses (Main, CV, Lake Nona)
  5. SunRail (or OBX however you wish to name it) to Ocala area.  At least Sin City (I think I spelled The Villages wrong), Mt. Dora, Eustis, and Tavares

Beyond our region, the expansion of Brightline to Jax, Tampa, and maybe even somewhere big like Savannah, Charleston, or even Atlanta.

I'd love to see Hyperloop, but frankly, I'm going to wait to see if it ever really becomes a functional thing.  It works and in theory it is epic, but we need real world experience.

I just do not want to see street car. Those overhead cables and interaction with street traffic is horrible.  Something like Metro Mover in Miami would be much better(I understand Price) but our streets are clogged, we don't need to add a transit method that doesn't make a trip around downtown quicker by any means.

-I'd Like to see Lynx and SunRail work together as one transit system. I'd like to see Lynx re-named to something like 'SunTranz' orr something. Lynx in Charlotte keeps everything confused.
-Hoping to See SuNRail Extend to Daytona Beach and WInter Heaven. Other regions have very long commuter rail routes so why not.
-OBX or something similar going to Leesburg/Tavares via 441 through Apopka Northwest Orlando.
-Traffic lights in Orange county be more 'Green Light Friendly'

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

For me:

The original plans for Lymmo were intended to be streetcars that would travel up and down Magnolia running on overhead electrical lines.

• Like 1

Well, since you asked, it'd look something like this.  Click the link to see in more detail (some routes are better fleshed out than others.) And some of these are obviously not possible.

1190340277_ScreenShot2018-08-06at9_12_14PM.png.4b53792efdbd7a807de5860fbf0e61a1.png

Edited by smileguy
Fixed Link Embed
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I just do not want to see street car. Those overhead cables and interaction with street traffic is horrible.  Something like Metro Mover in Miami would be much better(I understand Price) but our streets are clogged, we don't need to add a transit method that doesn't make a trip around downtown quicker by any means.

-I'd Like to see Lynx and SunRail work together as one transit system. I'd like to see Lynx re-named to something like 'SunTranz' orr something. Lynx in Charlotte keeps everything confused.
-Hoping to See SuNRail Extend to Daytona Beach and WInter Heaven. Other regions have very long commuter rail routes so why not.
-OBX or something similar going to Leesburg/Tavares via 441 through Apopka Northwest Orlando.
-Traffic lights in Orange county be more 'Green Light Friendly'

I for the most part agree with this. I think Sunrail should NOT go to the airport personally, but instead that should be part of a longer OBX route. OBX should start at the airport, stop downtown, and run the current proposed route, but extend that route all the way up through The Villages to replace those dang The Villages airport shuttles that seem so successful, with the goal of possibly extending to Ocala or Gainesville/UF in the long term future. Sunrail access to the airport would require transferring to OBX under my vision. I just view Sunrail diverting half of its already very rare trains to the airport instead of south making the service less useful then it already is.

I also would really like to see the Maglev built, I feel it would be a tourist attraction  (nobody gets to ride a maglev system in America, just as monorail is on Disney's property) and be a profitable route. This route can have a number of partnerships to ensure riderships and reduce costs. Phase 1 should leave the airport following the proposed route, hitting the Sand Lake Road Sunrail stop along with Florida Mall, and then follow the Turnpike up to Universal's existing north campus, and follow Universal Blvd down with stops among the tourist area and to Universal's new South Campus. Hopefully have a partnership with Universal to fund a portion of it and have free Universal North Campus to South Campus transportation under the system, making Orlando Maglev "Universal's Monorail". Stop at UCF Rosen College of Hospitality along with the convention center, with possible further southward expansions towards SeaWorld and further south along I-Drive to get to Disney if there is ever demand for it. Disney probably won't want it, so Disney can be served by the Brightline extension to Tampa in the mean time.

As a phase 2, instead of the previously proposed southward route, it should instead go east, hit Lake Nona/UCF Medical City, and follow the innovation way route to CFRP and the main UCF campus. There should be few ROW issues along this route making it realistic, and when completed, you'll now connect 3 UCF campuses with the train, so UCF can replace its bus service to both the Medical campus and the Hospitality campus with this service. The service would also be useful for all the UCF students who work at Universal, which there are a ton of them, in addition to the students who enjoy going there. If a suitable route can be found, as a phase 3, it should head east along University to hit Full Sail and then follow SR 50 to downtown and the UCF downtown campus, leaving us with a U shaped route with Sunrail connections near each end. I think this route would really help UCF to attract better students as well providing an extra amenity/attraction, helping to improve education in Orlando.

I personally don't like the idea of a streetcar system either, I'd envision Lymmo being switched to driverless buses.

As far as roads, #1 priority is to fix the traffic lights to get them as synchronized as possible, revamp the traffic lights to be more visible (I hate how many lights around town are hung from a single span of wire diagonally across the intersection, and equally hate their new X pattern as well, in my eyes it encourages red light running as its difficult to see them if you're first in line when you have to strain your neck). Upgrade as many lights as possible to have permissive lefts/flashing yellow arrows (and make sure they're active on every one of them, they're installing this traffic reducing feature and still leaving it to be set to red during the green thru phase). Transit priority should be introduced... and they should have sensors placed further back so the buses don't even have to stop at every single light to activate its priority)

Edited by aent
  • Like 1

Here is a weird map.
image.thumb.png.22b665d8695956cb540cecd9a5dfce22.png

Yellow- SunRail - Extensions to Daytona Beach to Lakeland,Davenport, or Winter Heaven.

Orange - Orange Blossom Express to Tavares at minimum. Possible to Leesburg, The Villages, Wildoowood.

Green - State Road 50 West  - BRT or Cheap Rail Connection to Lynx Central Station/Creative Village

Red - Brightline Connection. Possible Cheap Rail transit mimicking Brightline to the Cruise Port Terminal. Or BRT/Express Bus Connection.

Purple - Destination Parkway/International Drive/Oak Ridge/Florida Mall/Airport Rail Connection. Definitely Rail.

Blue - International Drive/Downtown Orlando/ UCF Rail/CrossTown Connection. Definitely Rail

• Like 4

3 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

How about Sunrail runs on two lines: The current one plus Deland, and Orange Blossom Express combined with the airport connection. Thoughts?

Only problem is it may require triple tracking where they overlap.

That was my proposal actually a few posts above (part of a much longer post). I don't think it'd require triple tracking, just schedule coordination. As it is, OBX is supposed to stop at the existing downtown Sunrail stops if it was ever built.

I do think that if you can get the older folks on board with The Villages, you probably solve more problems than anyone could possibly imagine.  The weird thing about a lot of older Americans is they love stuff that benefits them, but they hate being told they have to pay for it.  They generally also hate change, you know, until it benefits them.  Get them on board, get the win!

My friend's father was one of the first time SunRail riders I mentioned in that thread.  At times, he is an extremely grumpy old guy and regularly refers to any project that doesn't DIRECTLY benefit him as a "boondoggle" or a "leech on my tax dollars" or something along those lines.  (I know that Joe, the son and my friend, is a regular lurker here, so sorry man but you know it is true)  The old man rode the train the other day and it will let him visit a couple of his old USAF buddies in Winter Park where they eat at their favorite Italian (say it "EYE-towel-yun from IT-lee" like the old man does) and likely gossip their day away.  He can now do that without bumming a ride and this pleases him.  I've heard from my friend that his dad now approves of SunRail and apparently always has!!!  Imagine that!

I think OBX has the potential for thousands of converts.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:31 PM, aent said:

That was my proposal actually a few posts above (part of a much longer post). I don't think it'd require triple tracking, just schedule coordination. As it is, OBX is supposed to stop at the existing downtown Sunrail stops if it was ever built.

is it in the cards for the Lynx Central Sunrail Station to ever build an enclosed station?  Like, if OBX gets done and people want to connect to another Sunrail train...

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

is it in the cards for the Lynx Central Sunrail Station to ever build an enclosed station?  Like, if OBX gets done and people want to connect to another Sunrail train...

OBX wouldn’t stop at that station. The tracks merge south of it facing south, so the transfer station would be Church or Orlando Amtrak.

1 hour ago, WAJAS98 said:

OBX wouldn’t stop at that station. The tracks merge south of it facing south, so the transfer station would be Church or Orlando Amtrak.

There was a much worse idea floating around about making it stop on the West side of I-4 and people would have to walk to the next station.

• Sad 1

On 8/7/2018 at 4:52 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Here is a weird map.
image.thumb.png.22b665d8695956cb540cecd9a5dfce22.png

Yellow  - SunRail - Extensions to Daytona Beach to Lakeland,Davenport, or Winter Heaven.

Orange  - Orange Blossom Express to Tavares at minimum. Possible to Leesburg, The Villages, Wildoowood.

Green  - State Road 50 West  - BRT or Cheap Rail Connection to Lynx Central Station/Creative Village

Red - Brightline Connection. Possible Cheap Rail transit mimicking Brightline to the Cruise Port Terminal. Or BRT/Express Bus Connection.

Purple - Destination Parkway/International Drive/Oak Ridge/Florida Mall/Airport Rail Connection. Definitely Rail.

Blue - International Drive/Downtown Orlando/ UCF Rail/CrossTown Connection. Definitely Rail

So I modified this a bit.  Downtown is now in more detail to show where each will connect.

1777619909_UltimateOrlandoTransit.thumb.png.06751467c7296051611a33f472ffaf95.png

Yellow (Commuter Rail) - Sunrail stays the same as it currently is except it includes the Deland station and an Orange City station.  The airport link is not included as it is unnecessary in this plan due to the purple route.

Orange (Commuter Rail) - OBX is extended down Sunrail route to connect to the airport via the purple route at the Sandlake Rd station.

Blue (Light Rail) - The blue route now goes north to Valencia College West Campus before heading east and follows the SR50 study's proposed route east of downtown.  The blue route is also expanded on its south end to follow the purple route on I-Drive via Universal Orlando Resort.  This route will now increase the service on I-Drive, connect I-Drive to downtown, and connect the current Universal location with the new south complex, which may encourage them to support this project.

Purple (Light Rail) - The purple route is expanded south on each end to Seaworld and Lake Nona.  It also connects all of the routes to the airport via a single transfer.

Green (BRT) - No changes here.  It follows the SR 50 study's proposed route west of downtown.

In downtown, Sunrail (Yellow), the green route, and the blue route connect at Lynx Central.  OBX (orange) connects to Sunrail at Church St and to the blue route in Creative Village.

I did not include the red route to the cost because I believe Brightline will eventually include service to the coast, so this will be unnecessary.

Thoughts? I'll take critiques and include them in another future map, if I get the free time again.

Edited by WAJAS98
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/9/2018 at 7:17 PM, WAJAS98 said:

So I modified this a bit.  Downtown is now in more detail to show where each will connect.

1777619909_UltimateOrlandoTransit.thumb.png.06751467c7296051611a33f472ffaf95.png

Yellow (Commuter Rail) - Sunrail stays the same as it currently is except it includes the Deland station and an Orange City station.  The airport link is not included as it is unnecessary in this plan due to the purple route.

Orange (Commuter Rail) - OBX is extended down Sunrail route to connect to the airport via the purple route at the Sandlake Rd station.

Blue (Light Rail) - The blue route now goes north to Valencia College West Campus before heading east and follows the SR50 study's proposed route east of downtown.  The blue route is also expanded on its south end to follow the purple route on I-Drive via Universal Orlando Resort.  This route will now increase the service on I-Drive, connect I-Drive to downtown, and connect the current Universal location with the new south complex, which may encourage them to support this project.

Purple (Light Rail) - The purple route is expanded south on each end to Seaworld and Lake Nona.  It also connects all of the routes to the airport via a single transfer.

Green (BRT) - No changes here.  It follows the SR 50 study's proposed route west of downtown.

In downtown, Sunrail (Yellow), the green route, and the blue route connect at Lynx Central.  OBX (orange) connects to Sunrail at Church St and to the blue route in Creative Village.

I did not include the red route to the cost because I believe Brightline will eventually include service to the coast, so this will be unnecessary.

Thoughts? I'll take critiques and include them in another future map, if I get the free time again.

I'll have some input tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I was thinking about your map WAJAS98 and thinking that a straight line from OIA to the VA hospital in Baldwin Park would make a lot of sense.  Straight up 436.  It could tie into your blue line nicely and the purple line.

Hmm... maybe also extend it to Winter Park on the north end and to Lake Nona on the south end. It would take over my proposed purple line’s route past the aiport. I believe relatively direct service to downtown is better than to I-Drive for Lake Nona.  I would say they’d run concurrently south of OIA, but I don’t think the ridership would support that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was walking around downtown this week and I have a thing about Lymmo. When it was 1 single route, it was okay. Now its like 4 or 5 routes. I think thats too much transferring for what a little bit of walking or a Lyft or Uber could do quicker. If there were maybe some combined routes that are a bit longer but hit the same points would be better for getting around. . Am I off or what? What do you all think?

Lymmo Current Map

image.png.e2bdcb60db30934459865fde35cfe663.png

Here is what I'd do. Or something similar. and Charge $0.50 or something.

Option 1 BRT or Street Car or similar

Purple - Downtown Circulator hitting major points.
Orange - Sunrail
Green - South Orange Ave - To Winter Park
Blue - Citrus Bowl to Fashion Square
Red - College Park/Edgewater to Creative Village (At Full Buildout)
image.png.eebab6c16fd1e62b541292f67d387be7.png

Option 2

Purple - Downtown Circular of BRT Street Car with 5-10 minute circuits during busy times and events hitting all venues, CBD, Eola Park, North Quarter, SODO, West Downtown
Orange - SunRail
Blue - Eatern BRT or Streetcar or Similar to Fashion Square
Purple Dots - Expansion/Alternative to Florida Hospital Via Orange Ave  Supporting 'The Yard' and other projects.
Blue Dots -  Alternative route

image.png.b668469854e3642ee06fac314ee86547.png

Option 3

Blue - 1 Circulatory system of BRT or Rail Or Both for a fare  with frequent intervals and daily operation even night time.

image.png.f37f22e5620cd6c7fc1245906148164b.png

@WAJAS98 Interested in your reply bro!

• Like 2

@IAmFloridaBorn I'll try to get around to posting a formal reply with maps soon.  I stupidly made my last map with Paint 3D, so it is now uneditable.  Also, if you had any suggestions for the larger metro proposal above, then feel free to post them.  I'd love to edit both of them when I get around to it.  However, my initial thoughts are:

• Option 2 and 3 wander too much to be as effective as a downtown circulator could be.  The time it takes to go from the north side to the south side would belong in comparison to the current Lymmo route.
  • My main problem with the two new lines is that the service is circulator instead of linear.  Circulator routes work in the downtown proper, but should not wander outside.  Look at the Miami Metromover.  All of the routes circulate through the denser portions of downtown, but the outer loops also serve the areas north and south of downtown with linear portions.  It is the most successful of the three Downtown People Mover systems in the United States, which are all funded by the USDOT by the way.

d472e3e47bec3549ed00efe4577123d7.png

• The studies that resulted in Grapefruit and Lime line also included proposals for a North and South extension of the current Orange line.  They would have gone as far north as Florida Hospital and College Park and as far south as the southern edge of SoDo.  I believe the city has plans for them to be built in the future, and I think they made good choices for the routes.  Notice they were not circulators except at the very ends.

1600837632_LymmoSouth.thumb.PNG.0970d996ad03ef69f7a0a2254a8ad3bd.PNG1827724067_LymmoNorth.thumb.PNG.ea7310be42008f859ff2bc86564b3565.PNG

Edited by WAJAS98
  • Like 2