Nashville International Airport PHOTOS (BNA), Airlines and Flights General discussion

Lexy

I'd like to start a new thread where we can share information regarding the airport.  The other thread is kind of cluttered and hard to navigate.  This should hopefully clear things up a bit.

Recently got wind that the British Airways flight is doing exceptionally well, but is falling victim to equipment and crew shortages being faced by BA going into the winter months.  Also, travel to Europe slows during this time.  This has led BA to reduce the dailies to 4 a week instead of the current 5.  Officials firmly believe it will go daily once the engine issues are worked out on the 787's and the crew issues are resolved.  Currently reports are that the flight averages a 95% load factor and is a high performer on cargo (which is what really makes money).

A new airline is coming to the airport with the announcement being posted on a Facebook live video tomorrow at 10AM.  Speculation believes it could be a non stop to Iceland or Spirit Airlines is finally entering the market with flights to DTW, DFW, and perhaps another airport.  MNAA is hush on it, but the stage for the announcement has been set in front of the United Airlines ticket counter.

Delta remains the #2 airline at the airport with Southwest firmly in control.  American Airlines' passenger shares continue to decline little by little.  United is seeing an uptick!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Lexy said:

I'd like to start a new thread where we can share information regarding the airport.  The other thread is kind of cluttered and hard to navigate.  This should hopefully clear things up a bit.

Recently got wind that the British Airways flight is doing exceptionally well, but is falling victim to equipment and crew shortages being faced by BA going into the winter months.  Also, travel to Europe slows during this time.  This has led BA to reduce the dailies to 4 a week instead of the current 5.  Officials firmly believe it will go daily once the engine issues are worked out on the 787's and the crew issues are resolved.  Currently reports are that the flight averages a 95% load factor and is a high performer on cargo (which is what really makes money).

A new airline is coming to the airport with the announcement being posted on a Facebook live video tomorrow at 10AM.  Speculation believes it could be a non stop to Iceland or Spirit Airlines is finally entering the market with flights to DTW, DFW, and perhaps another airport.  MNAA is hush on it, but the stage for the announcement has been set in front of the United Airlines ticket counter.

Delta remains the #2 airline at the airport with Southwest firmly in control.  American Airlines' passenger shares continue to decline little by little.  United is seeing an uptick!

Do you think United will eventually add LAX from BNA? I know the route is busy but they’re kind of maxed out at BNA if they ever want to increase their slice of the pie, and they don’t seem like the airline type that will go adding a bunch of P2P routes. Their SFO flight is a gold mine but I don’t really see where else they can expand and fight AA and DL. 

42 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

Do you think United will eventually add LAX from BNA? I know the route is busy but they’re kind of maxed out at BNA if they ever want to increase their slice of the pie, and they don’t seem like the airline type that will go adding a bunch of P2P routes. Their SFO flight is a gold mine but I don’t really see where else they can expand and fight AA and DL. 

I don' t think so.  LAX is maxed out and AA is up gauging the flight to an A321 some this fall.  UA hasn't fully committed to a LAX buildup and frankly, they shouldn't.  UA doesn't need to fight either one.  The Motley Fool recently ran an article asking if UA had surpassed AA as the #2 domestic airline and it would seem they have.  UA just needs to focus on their catering issues and connecting some of the dots in their network.  Let DL be #1 for a while, but put AA out of the picture.  That seems to be happening.

Edited by Lexy
  • Like 2

How likely is it that a second international airline follows in British Airways's footsteps at BNA (similar to Austin and New Orleans etc...) within the next year or so? I am very certain that Iceland will be announced but I would really like to see Condor to Frankfurt, even if it was 2x weekly. The airport is packed from personal experience within it today.

Sun Country Airlines is the new domestic carrier to serve BNA.  Flights to Minneapolis, Miami, Orlando, Fort Meyers and New Orleans.  Connections in MSP to west coast.  2 days per week for most service. 

Edited by dxfret
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

How likely is it that a second international airline follows in British Airways's footsteps at BNA (similar to Austin and New Orleans etc...) within the next year or so? I am very certain that Iceland will be announced but I would really like to see Condor to Frankfurt, even if it was 2x weekly. The airport is packed from personal experience within it today.

Probably no new international flights until the new IAB is complete.  The gate usage is just too high right now.

Yes, new service on Minneapolis based Sun Country Airlines.

BNA-MIA/RSW/MSP/MSY/TPA/MCO, all 2x/wk

Now nashville only has to add spirit airlines to have all the domestic airlines in one airport which is crazy. I’m hoping to see additions to Hartford, Portland, Palm beach or Indianapolis in the near future. I am kind of mad that the BNA vision interim international arrivals building only has one gate. It doesn’t feel that inviting for either international or domestic carriers that are thinking about adding international service from BNA to come here, although BA is probably happy they can’t for now lmao.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

Now nashville only has to add spirit airlines to have all the domestic airlines in one airport which is crazy. I’m hoping to see additions to Hartford, Portland, Palm beach or Indianapolis in the near future. I am kind of mad that the BNA vision interim international arrivals building only has one gate. It doesn’t feel that inviting for either international or domestic carriers that are thinking about adding international service from BNA to come here, although BA is probably happy they can’t for now lmao.

It actually has two gates now.  As for Spirit, it's a complete mystery why they haven't started service to BNA.  I'm shocked honestly.  They serve far lesser markets, but can't seem to figure out BNA.  We'll see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dxfret said:

Sun Country Airlines is the new domestic carrier to serve BNA.  Flights to Minneapolis, Miami, Orlando, Fort Meyers and New Orleans.  Connections in MSP to west coast.  2 days per week for most service. 

This is pretty cool! 

Anyone know if that old Sun Country bird is still sitting in Smyrna over by the airport? 

19 hours ago, dxfret said:

The loads on the WestJet nonstop flights from BNA to Calgary, Alberta (YYC) are also very strong.   Lots of vacationers to/from Banff and Music City. 

I look for that to go year round soon.  It’s up to 5 days a week now.

• Like 3

I feel that southwest eventually will make nashville a connecting focus city sort of like St. Louis as well, maybe not as large but similar. I think the only thing holding them back at this point is lack of gates and space to expand at the nashville airport. I didn’t see one gate not being used today when I was traveling through the airport and I walked all the way to the end of the C concourse.

I hope to see in my lifetime the Nashville airport become sort of like an Austin, Raleigh or Portland (maybe even Denver) sized airport, with flights to pretty much all important domestic destinations, a Latin American destination, 1-2 year round TATL routes and 2-3 seasonal ones, and hopefully a nonstop to Tokyo. Honestly besides that I really don’t think the Nashville airport will expand anymore unless a legacy carrier dictates it as a hub. Just a rambling post lol. 

35 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

I feel that southwest eventually will make nashville a connecting focus city sort of like St. Louis as well, maybe not as large but similar. I think the only thing holding them back at this point is lack of gates and space to expand at the nashville airport. I didn’t see one gate not being used today when I was traveling through the airport and I walked all the way to the end of the C concourse.

I hope to see in my lifetime the Nashville airport become sort of like an Austin, Raleigh or Portland (maybe even Denver) sized airport, with flights to pretty much all important domestic destinations, a Latin American destination, 1-2 year round TATL routes and 2-3 seasonal ones, and hopefully a nonstop to Tokyo. Honestly besides that I really don’t think the Nashville airport will expand anymore unless a legacy carrier dictates it as a hub. Just a rambling post lol. 

We have more passengers than AUS and RDU, but not as many international destinations. It would be nice to get some more Canadian and Mexican flights, along with 2-4 more European destinations.

• Like 3

How likely is it that alaska airlines cuts the sfo to nashville route. I have heard both that the loads on those flights are steadily improving and that they are doing badly, so i really dont know what to believe or not. They cut indianapolis and they may do so for nashville and raleigh in the future, however i believe nashville with the tourism and raleigh with the technology will keep the routes around, but im not sure.