Nashville International Airport PHOTOS (BNA), Airlines and Flights General discussion

Lexy

5 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I’m assuming they’re adding service to O’Hare, not replacing the Midway service with O’Hare. Southwest has just announced that in Houston they’re adding service out of Bush Intercontinental, but they remain the primary carrier out of Hobby Airport. Seems a smart move to have service from both sides of town.

I'm sure they aren't replacing service from Midway, but still, that's pretty much Midway's only big money maker as far as I know, so I'm sure they don't appreciate the competition.  

The biggest reason is look at how Chicago sprawl north & west, in addition to the demographics on that side of Chicagoland. It's the wealthier and much more white collar business-side. A good number of folks probably find it fairly out of the way to fly in/out of Midway versus O'Hare. That's why they're doing it also with Houston-Bush (IAH). Large corporate campuses and higher end suburban growth is west & north of the city, so it's trying to capture the market on that side of the metro area.  

This is all about finding business where you can and utilizing the assets you have versus just sitting on your hands. 

Edited by NashRugger

Yes @NashRugger. Southwest has reached the point where they must add new destinations to grow. They are going into places like Chicago O'Hare and Houston Bush because people want to fly there. The thought is to gain additional business, but it is also understood that some travelers will choose to switch to the other airport, which has higher landing fees and per passenger costs.

Chasing smaller profits in a rough time

• 2 weeks later...

International air travel remains highly restricted and things are getting worse as COVID-19 spikes globally. As such there is zero possibility of the British Airways nonstop flight resuming until next summer — at the earliest.  There is simply no demand right now, even to much larger markets. .  

Add new flight from Southwest Airlines. 

>Sarasota, FL on. Feb. 14, 2021. 

Sarasota Bradenton International 

2 flights a days $69,  Winter to Spring Break. 

>Savannah, GA 

March 11,2021. 

Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport in Pooler.

One daily nonstop flight starting at $49 each way

Edited by Sean blackdog
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Nashville is just too convenient to other freight hubs to make sense here. FedEx does has flights but UPS ships it all by truck up to Louisville. I'm not sure about the cost savings versus using a smaller widebody cargo plane. DHL & Amazon also have massive facilities at Cincinnati (CVG). Amazon Air could operate a few flights out of BNA down the road, but logistically, it just won't ever get huge.

Now, if Amazon Air really want to shake things up, they could theoretically court Smyrna/Rutherford County to open a cargo facility there if they wanted an almost nonexistent passenger component to an airfield to worry about. They've got the space for it and the biggest issue would be widening Jefferson Pike to I-840 and ingress/egress off Sam Ridley.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TheRaglander said:

I found this “real time” flight tracker app and have really enjoyed it.  At any given moment I can see where a flight overhead is coming-from and going-to.   

The other night (around midnight) I was curious to see our region’s air traffic.  It’s interesting to see how Memphis (FedEx) and Louisville (UPS) is so incredibly busy with parcel flights from all over the world.  

I suppose since Louisville and Memphis are so close, Nashville will never become a hub for these kinds of flights?  Maybe if Amazon ever launches their own fleet?  :-)

That's a great app.  I do the same with it!  Use it so much and love to sky watch that I can now make a decent guess where the aircraft is headed, sometimes even where it originated.

Yup, a few hours before midnight you can tell the FedEx and UPS air traffic begins to heat up around those airports.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2020 at 2:46 AM, Sean blackdog said:

Update.  New long-haul domestic flights. Nonstop. 
Hawaiian Airlines Adds Flights From Austin on April 21st. &  Orlando March 11th To Hawaii.
2 days a week. By Airbus a330-200. 

CBB62596-BF5F-4302-B658-F0A093354A02.jpeg.45b410163c09dd06e0e8ef08c2171924.jpeg

Any more route from BNA? 

HA (Hawaiian) is pretty doubtful, especially before the IAB is done. You really do not see much in the way of people east of the Rockies clamor to go Hawaii versus going to the Caribbean & Latin America where you can get a different overall culture & the like with it versus Hawaii for less money as well with many countries having very favorable currency exchange rates against the American Dollar.

Hawaii is great & all, but HNL is not high on the list to be added if you ask me, versus more contiguous 48 domestic destinations out of BNA. I think you'd see SWA return to Key West (EYW) & add BNA as a destination before Hawaii. 

Edited by NashRugger
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 4:24 PM, NashRugger said:

HA (Hawaiian) is pretty doubtful, especially before the IAB is done. You really do not see much in the way of people east of the Rockies clamor to go Hawaii versus going to the Caribbean & Latin America where you can get a different overall culture & the like with it versus Hawaii for less money as well with many countries having very favorable currency exchange rates against the American Dollar.

Hawaii is great & all, but HNL is not high on the list to be added if you ask me, versus more contiguous 48 domestic destinations out of BNA. I think you'd see SWA return to Key West (EYW) & add BNA as a destination before Hawaii. 

Southwest does not have a plane that could fly from BNA to Honolulu. Even the MAX, err 737-8, comes up short. I don't know the passenger counts, but I have heard some say it would be doable. It would require an A330 or a B787, either of which would be nice have making routine stops!

I agree with all your points @NashRugger. Need IAB and optionally need the 2L extension 

1 hour ago, LA_TN said:

Southwest does not have a plane that could fly from BNA to Honolulu. Even the MAX, err 737-8, comes up short. I don't know the passenger counts, but I have heard some say it would be doable. It would require an A330 or a B787, either of which would be nice have making routine stops!

I agree with all your points @NashRugger. Need IAB and optionally need the 2L extension 

I should've added on to the last sentence as Hawaii by Hawaiian Airlines themselves.  Southwest, as current form, will never have a plane to be long range enough for Hawaii from BNA. Denver would be absolutely pushing it for even a MAX8.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 4:24 PM, NashRugger said:

Hawaii seems a little more like a “once in a lifetime” trip than the Caribbean…at least for people I know around here.  You can easily get to the Caribbean…enjoy some time in Miami / Keys before or after, etc.  I went to Hawaii in college and would love to go back…but would also love to see Tahiti and more islands in the S Pacific.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 10:59 PM, titanhog said:

Hawaii seems a little more like a “once in a lifetime” trip than the Caribbean…at least for people I know around here.  You can easily get to the Caribbean…enjoy some time in Miami / Keys before or after, etc.  I went to Hawaii in college and would love to go back…but would also love to see Tahiti and more islands in the S Pacific.

Hawaii is awesome. We've been a few times but the flight and time zone change really sucks. Maui is probably my favorite place but getting there is one of my least favorite things... which is why we go to the Caribbean a lot more often than Hawaii.

With that said, a nonstop to Hawaii would at least cut down on part of the flight annoyance. I'd also love a nonstop to STT from BNA as St. John is our go to Caribbean spot.

• Like 3

Today this evening from Facebook NC5. 

JetBlue to begin nonstop service from Nashville to Cancun in 2021

items.[0].image.alt

Posted at 5:30 PM, Dec 22, 2020 

and last updated 52 minutes ago

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — JetBlue announced it will begin offering nonstop service to Cancun from Nashville in March 2021.

This would will the first international route for the airline from Nashville International Airport. The new service will run three times a week.

“JetBlue’s new international service is terrific news, and we appreciate their commitment to providing more options for travelers,” said Doug Kreulen, BNA president and CEO.

• Like 1