Jump to content

Nashville International Airport (BNA), Airlines and Flights


Recommended Posts

Allegiant has announced a lot of destinations, but their frequency still can’t have them compete with Southwest in terms of overall traffic. So while some destinations have been recently picked up by Southwest, Destin/FWB, Bozeman, & others, they’re not a major threat to Southwest on a overwhelming majority of routes. That doesn’t just apply to BNA either.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saw this ad on a digital board at the Harrisburg, PA airport today:  

There are also some rumors out there that Hawaiian Airlines (HA) is looking at potentially launch 3x weekly service between Honolulu (HNL) & BNA. It could make pretty logical sense as they recentl

Southwest is adding nonstop to (SNA)John Wayne Airport (Orange County, CA) starting November 2nd.

Posted Images

An interesting quote, given what is brewing on the East Bank: 

“Austin is a vibrant technology hub where companies like Oracle are growing, investing and innovating for the future,” said Rita Visser, Director of Global Travel Sourcing, Oracle. “We look forward to relying on American Airlines’ additional routes to support not just employees traveling to our new Austin headquarters, but also our customers and partners who are building their businesses with Oracle Cloud.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2021 at 2:09 PM, leggy77 said:

Delta was going to increase the size of the Sky Lounge dramatically $20 Million renovation, covid hit and that is not happening. Plus rules out any delta international flights coming anytime soon after covid.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-massively-expanding-nashville-sky-club-in-2020/

 

On 3/4/2021 at 11:58 PM, LA_TN said:

As far as I know, the new Delta Sky Lounge is still under construction

Delta airplanes are designed for business travel. Nashville is dominated by leisure travelers. BNA never had a chance to be a focus city. Austin and Raleigh are logical choices due to geography and business to leisure ratio 

I'm hearing the exterior of the new Delta SkyClub is basically complete and work on the interior has stopped, with no indication when (or if) work will resume. But one would think it is still to their advantage to finish, at some point. The odds of Delta (or friends) landing a trans Atlantic flight here are probably gone for the foreseeable future

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Sean blackdog said:

American Eagle between BNA and AUS, about  76 seats using Embraer E175s

The gauge of aircraft is encouraging since that is the largest capacity jet on the regional side. If it proves successful enough, an upgauge to at least A319 can be seen even before the year is over. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Today this afternoon from BNA. 

Add flight 2 cities. :whistling:

6A67E1A5-F905-4037-8689-E6BE56962FCC.thumb.png.89de0cfc48e6ad6aee32f1eeeb56f726.pngMay 23, 2021- Myrtle Beach, SC by Southwest and (Resumes) June 6, 2021-Long Island/Islip, NY by Southwest. 

 

Check out this article from Tennessean:

Southwest adds new direct summer flights from Nashville to beach cities

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2021/03/25/southwest-airlines-nashville-flights-to-myrtle-beach-long-island/7002739002/

 

Edited by Sean blackdog
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry as i'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum...

i'm actually moving from Chicago to Nashville (like everyone else) later this Summer.   I fly 2-3 times/month so having a consistent carrier is very important to me.  With so many businesses moving to Nashville, you guys don't think a United or American could expand and make Nashville a hub?  To me its the perfect SE location that is not Atlanta.

maybe its too early for anyone to announce this given the Covid environment we live in today...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, steelkid247 said:

sorry as i'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum...

i'm actually moving from Chicago to Nashville (like everyone else) later this Summer.   I fly 2-3 times/month so having a consistent carrier is very important to me.  With so many businesses moving to Nashville, you guys don't think a United or American could expand and make Nashville a hub?  To me its the perfect SE location that is not Atlanta.

maybe its too early for anyone to announce this given the Covid environment we live in today...

Get a Southwest Credit Card :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steelkid247 said:

i need a good airline for international travel...:tw_frown:

guess your international is not limited to Bahamas or Mexico :)  Best bet is American in the short term probably with British Airways coming back at some point. at least to the UK region.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, steelkid247 said:

i need a good airline for international travel...:tw_frown:

Welcome to the forum, Steelkid247.  I'm a former Chicagoan myself, but have lived here now for a total of 33 years.  Hope you come to love Music City as much as I do.  

There are several on our forum that have more expertise on the intricacies of airline hubs, etc. than I (although I have made over 2,000 flights to 54 nations in my lifetime), so I'll let them jump in with the reasons that Nashville is not a hub at this time.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, steelkid247 said:

sorry as i'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum...

i'm actually moving from Chicago to Nashville (like everyone else) later this Summer.   I fly 2-3 times/month so having a consistent carrier is very important to me.  With so many businesses moving to Nashville, you guys don't think a United or American could expand and make Nashville a hub?  To me its the perfect SE location that is not Atlanta.

maybe its too early for anyone to announce this given the Covid environment we live in today...

I could possibly see united maybe in the future but American already has hubs in Charlotte and here in Miami. Plus they tried a hub here back in the early 90s which failed as Nashville was a lot smaller then. I will say though that Nashville seems to be growing faster than any other airport I can think of in terms of passenger and destination growth (limited to domestic right now due to covid and lack of international arrivals facility at the airport for now). Nashville will be crossing the 100 destinations served mark from the airport soon which is a big deal. To give some perspective Phoenix has 138 destinations served direct, Charlotte has 150, Minneapolis has 167 and Salt Lake City has 93. Nashville currently has 96 as of today and I expect once the new IAB is opened by 2023 there will be around 130-150 destinations being served out of Nashville by that point.  My point is, assuming the current growth trajectory stays around the same, Nashville will become one of the largest airports in the country in the next 20 to 30 years which is incredible.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steelkid247 said:

i need a good airline for international travel...:tw_frown:

If you are looking for the major European cities  you have good one stop on Delta through Atlanta or NYC Kennedy but the easiest is using Detroit.  Detroit connects to the larger cities but Atlanta and NYC Kennedy go to more .  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Today this evening. 
2 big plane. :shok:
Atlas Air  Boeing 747-400(BDSF) 
Landed @ 3:26 pm from Anchorage. 
Departure @ 5:30pm to Seoul. (Delayed departure  @ 9:21pm.) 6C0D65C8-83B7-469A-8B1C-1E2CC9127AD2.thumb.jpeg.21cdb52acb411627311fde53f9b1335e.jpeg1A52759B-8F41-4179-BCCE-E895BF236E47.thumb.jpeg.4fa965caa1533a203387baecacb79e75.jpegA0006A0F-0DFC-4612-9B8A-A5BCFAD75C22.thumb.jpeg.f946c2728b58809c2b5f6e22831d95af.jpeg

 

Kalitta Air Boeing 747-400(BCF)
Landed 6:00pm from Anchorage. 
Departure @ 9:30pm to Anchorage (Delayed departure 12:04am) 0600461A-03A4-4410-999B-7FD65251A9B6.thumb.jpeg.2f95f76fa9d9e86bae9fe13dbcc4229b.jpeg9355D1B6-426D-4647-A648-129CE828A949.thumb.jpeg.af354441969dfe86d8c84d8c0bdc80b5.jpeg6C29D143-8FCB-40D6-A6C7-68704D9657D6.thumb.jpeg.15f8b1e645c5ed041f13d2de16b69a37.jpegD44849E4-FC1A-4B7D-8ACD-26699A5D5B92.thumb.jpeg.1a4ab62d49cacb93fbe2a3dcbfc1b35d.jpeg

Edited by Sean blackdog
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sean blackdog, both Kalitta and (especially) Atlas fly here regularly all the time. Nothing unusual about these

@steelkid247don't quote me on these numbers

United has close to 10 daily flights to Chicago; BNA also has connections to Denver and San Francisco

American has about 5 nonstop to Chicago and 10+ to Dallas-Fort Worth.  There are many more connections from DFW than ORD. Remember BNA also has connections to LAX and Seattle (on Alaska Airlines) and New York plus Boston

Delta can connect through Atlanta or Detroit, mostly. Again, BNA has nonstop Delta to Seattle

While especially true for Delta, it's cheaper to fly from BNA than Atlanta, Chicago, or Dallas. I know the big difference is when you have to make two hops instead one; and the BA flight to London is the only option for secondary Europe destinations. **Personal opinion is that BNA will have a Japan Airlines to Tokyo Narita flight about 2030. Both of those are One World and BNA was once an American hub and still has the highest number of frequent flyers at BNA

One would think United would take over BNA, but there was no interest, they were too late, and Nashville tourist heavy flights do not fit into the United model. Delta has said they want to grow here, but just hasn't done it. However, United is the only one of the big three that doesn't fly mainline aircraft here 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Atlas and Kalitta are both cargo carriers, eh? Are these flights that were scheduled here or diverted due to weather?

Yeah. Both lots tons of cargo. Yeah some on schedule and 15 diverted due to weather. Hope all 15 planes will return to BNA soon. :D

Edited by Sean blackdog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another international option that is easy to forget about is Air Canada through Toronto. I don’t think it provides anything that JFK or ATL don’t, but at least it’s another option. 
 

I believe BNA now has nonstop service to 55 destinations on Southwest (and a few more rumored to be announced soon), so the vast majority of domestic destinations are nonstop. Southwest was already going in heavy on BNA pre-COVID, but I believe they will accelerate that even more when compared to other airports post-COVID. They pulled a lot of capacity out of the system, and when they redeploy those aircraft on routes they are going to focus even more strongly on their growing markets.  The connections through BNA are up significantly post-COVID which helps support additional nonstops that otherwise wouldn’t be available. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

Another international option that is easy to forget about is Air Canada through Toronto. I don’t think it provides anything that JFK or ATL don’t, but at least it’s another option. 
 

I believe BNA now has nonstop service to 55 destinations on Southwest (and a few more rumored to be announced soon), so the vast majority of domestic destinations are nonstop. Southwest was already going in heavy on BNA pre-COVID, but I believe they will accelerate that even more when compared to other airports post-COVID. They pulled a lot of capacity out of the system, and when they redeploy those aircraft on routes they are going to focus even more strongly on their growing markets.  The connections through BNA are up significantly post-COVID which helps support additional nonstops that otherwise wouldn’t be available. 

And Montréal.  I can now fly to French cities such as  Marseille, Bordeaux, Nice, Nantes, Mulhouse, Toulouse, and Lyon from Nashville with just one stop in YUL.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

United Airlines does fly mainline aircraft to BNA.  Airbus A319 aircraft are used to NYC Newark, sometimes to ORD and also the SFO nonstop which will resume soon. . 
 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

I could possibly see united maybe in the future but American already has hubs in Charlotte and here in Miami. Plus they tried a hub here back in the early 90s which failed as Nashville was a lot smaller then. I will say though that Nashville seems to be growing faster than any other airport I can think of in terms of passenger and destination growth (limited to domestic right now due to covid and lack of international arrivals facility at the airport for now). Nashville will be crossing the 100 destinations served mark from the airport soon which is a big deal. To give some perspective Phoenix has 138 destinations served direct, Charlotte has 150, Minneapolis has 167 and Salt Lake City has 93. Nashville currently has 96 as of today and I expect once the new IAB is opened by 2023 there will be around 130-150 destinations being served out of Nashville by that point.  My point is, assuming the current growth trajectory stays around the same, Nashville will become one of the largest airports in the country in the next 20 to 30 years which is incredible.

No, Nashville will not become one of the country’s largest airports, or even rank in the Top 20 of US airports, at anytime in the future. There are simply far too many much larger cities, population centers and hub airports that will prevent it from cracking the top tier.  United will never establish a hub at BNA even though they are weak in the southeast US.  United missed that opportunity many years ago and now Southwest dominates BNA  and Allegiant is coming on strong with lots of secondary destinations.  No carrier will want to compete against Southwest here. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.