Nashville International Airport PHOTOS (BNA), Airlines and Flights General discussion

Lexy

On 3/26/2021 at 8:48 AM, dxfret said:

No, Nashville will not become one of the country’s largest airports, or even rank in the Top 20 of US airports, at anytime in the future. There are simply far too many much larger cities, population centers and hub airports that will prevent it from cracking the top tier.  United will never establish a hub at BNA even though they are weak in the southeast US.  United missed that opportunity many years ago and now Southwest dominates BNA  and Allegiant is coming on strong with lots of secondary destinations.  No carrier will want to compete against Southwest here. 

I tend to disagree. I think it'll be close to the top 20, in at least 20 years, if not 10 years.  The proximity of other large cities do factor in, but it's a bit of a skewed assessment. Major cities in the Northeast have several hubs and they're fairly close to each other. (Philly, NYC, Baltimore, DC, etc.)  Not including 2020, because of you know the pandemic and stuff, but In 2019 Nashville was ranked 31st busiest U.S. airports by total passenger traffic.  In the future I can see Nashville ranking possibly in the low 20s, especially if we end up getting more international flights. 

8 hours ago, MagicPotato said:

I tend to disagree. I think it'll be close to the top 20, in at least 20 years, if not 10 years.  The proximity of other large cities do factor in, but it's a bit of a skewed assessment. Major cities in the Northeast have several hubs and they're fairly close to each other. (Philly, NYC, Baltimore, DC, etc.)  Not including 2020, because of you know the pandemic and stuff, but In 2019 Nashville was ranked 31st busiest U.S. airports by total passenger traffic.  In the future I can see Nashville ranking possibly in the low 20s, especially if we end up getting more international flights. 

All those big airports in the NE exist because there's a heck of a lot more people there in addition to a heck of a lot more businesses and commerce, particularly international commerce.  Within 150 miles of Nashville there are just under 8 million people, whereas a similar area in the Northeast has over 40 million people.  I'm as big a Nashville booster as there is, but I just can't see how BNA will ever be a top 20 airport for total traffic.  For O&D, perhaps.  If someone has the O&D numbers, I think it would be interesting to compare BNA to some of its peer cities who are hubs such as SLC and CLT.

image.png.1b048d284e624e9e29002ecf9b9d1c4b.png

image.png.f81a8609dd56fab18d39ea1fdcd89419.png

https://www.statsamerica.org/radius/big.aspx

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, NashRugger said:

There are also some rumors out there that Hawaiian Airlines (HA) is looking at potentially launch 3x weekly service between Honolulu (HNL) & BNA. It could make pretty logical sense as they recently launched service Orlando & Austin. No direct competition & both being tourism powerhouses are big benefits. 

A330 would be parked at what gate? That is a question I look forward to!

5 hours ago, Sean blackdog said:

Today this evening. 
Breeze Airways is here landed from Tampa Bay. 

695B4139-6837-4E1C-A445-4CF535E54852.jpeg

I think you will be seeing that on a regular basis, in the future

• Like 4