Nashville International Airport PHOTOS (BNA), Airlines and Flights General discussion

Lexy

On 1/10/2022 at 2:03 PM, Sean blackdog said:

Breaking news from London. 
https://simpleflying.com/ba-us-route-changes/:cry:

Last flight on Sunday January 16th. 
Resume on Monday May 9th. 

It’s sad to see important routes like this be cut but I believe it will be back for the summer. I think airports like Pittsburgh and New Orleans are more at risk for losing their London link than Nashville.

meanwhile here in Miami British Airways is flying in their A380 and Emirates (which launched in July) is going daily with A380 I believe. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

It’s sad to see important routes like this be cut but I believe it will be back for the summer. I think airports like Pittsburgh and New Orleans are more at risk for losing their London link than Nashville.

meanwhile here in Miami British Airways is flying in their A380 and Emirates (which launched in July) is going daily with A380 I believe. 

BA flew the A380 to MIA pre-Covid, along with I believe LF and AF. MIA is a huge international gateway. 

You guys are a lot smarter than I am, so I'm hoping someone can explain to me why Raleigh-Durham International Airport, which is half the size of BNA, now has nonstop service to three European cities while BNA has just one?  American flies from RDU to London-LHR, Delta flies from RDU to Paris-CDG, and now Icelandair has announced it will fly from RDU to Reykjavik.  Is the only reason BNA doesn't have more trans-Atlantic service because we don't have adequate gate and immigration facilities?  Or does RDU pay lavish incentives that BNA doesn't pay?

For those of us who love traveling to Europe, it's frustrating to see places like Raleigh-Durham get more service.  I'd love for Icelandair to come here.  Great fares to lots of European destinations, and often you can get a nice, extended overnight stay in Reykjavik for just a few dollars.

Rant over.

1 hour ago, jmtunafish said:

You guys are a lot smarter than I am, so I'm hoping someone can explain to me why Raleigh-Durham International Airport, which is half the size of BNA, now has nonstop service to three European cities while BNA has just one?  American flies from RDU to London-LHR, Delta flies from RDU to Paris-CDG, and now Icelandair has announced it will fly from RDU to Reykjavik.  Is the only reason BNA doesn't have more trans-Atlantic service because we don't have adequate gate and immigration facilities?  Or does RDU pay lavish incentives that BNA doesn't pay?

For those of us who love traveling to Europe, it's frustrating to see places like Raleigh-Durham get more service.  I'd love for Icelandair to come here.  Great fares to lots of European destinations, and often you can get a nice, extended overnight stay in Reykjavik for just a few dollars.

Rant over.

I think it’s a combination of factors. AA has been flying LHR (and LGW before the Open Skies agreement) for years, I think back to the days when RDU was an AA hub. They’re a focus city for DL now, but I believe the CDG flight preceded that move. One thing I think explains some of it is that RDU is a huge business market but marginal tourism market, while BNA is a big tourism market and a decent business market. Business travel is higher yielding so it may be worth it to AA and DL to run those routes simply because of the first and business class sales. Tourism traffic back and forth between London and Nashville is typically more price minded because tourists are typically more likely to be on a tighter budget. 

As far as the Icelandair flight, I’ve personally never been that impressed with KEF flights, either with Icelandair or with the defunct WOW Air. It’s basically just a connection point with horrible connection times. It’s still the same amount of time to get to London, Paris, etc but instead of having 50 options to connect through ATL, JFK, IAD, BOS, EWR, ORD, CLT, PHI, etc you have an overnight 10 hour layover in a country a third of the population of Nashville. Going to Reykjavik would be cool on it’s own, but as a connecting option it’s piss poor. 

Just my two cents. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Rant over.

Business travel. RTP is very popular with European tech and pharma companies. 

Also RDU offers 'new destination' incentives to carriers.  Rumors are that Aer Lingus is interested in a RDU-Dublin route as well. 

Thirdly, Raleigh/Durham is a shorter route to Europe,  has almost exactly the same population as Nashville when comparing CSA (Nashville 2,118,233 vs R/D 2,106,463), is located around several other big metros (Charlotte, NC Triad, VB),  and the metro population is slightly growing faster too. 

Edited by carolina1792