Nashville International Airport PHOTOS (BNA), Airlines and Flights General discussion

Lexy

On 9/22/2022 at 8:24 AM, markhollin said:

Southwest Airlines' CEO Bob Jordan is bullish on the company's future in Nashville — and if you're curious, he prefers an aisle seat.

With around 800 employees already in Nashville, Jordan told the Business Journal that Southwest is looking at a future flight attendant and pilot base, a city where crew and aircrafts are stationed, in Nashville — though there are no immediate plans.

“A lot of that depends on where you want to originate flights, where you want to have aircraft overnight, but I’ll just tell you we are looking at that and there is a possibility that Nashville becomes a base,” Jordan said. “I don’t see that immediately. … [J]ob one is get the network restored and see how everything is performing.”

Jordan added that the idea of at least a satellite base in Nashville, which is a smaller base, is on Southwest’s radar. 

Out of Southwest’s 121 destinations, Nashville ranks No. 8 in terms of its busiest airports, seeing more flights through Music City than pre-pandemic.

Southwest is the largest airline serving Nashville International Airport, according to Business Journal research, with more than 6 million passengers flying through BNA between June 2020 and June 2021.

“We are close to gate constraint right now [at Nashville International Airport]. We are at 16 gates and will get the four new gates at the end of next year, and that will help a ton,” Jordan said. “We are going to grow here. … Nashville is a huge focus city for us; the flights we put here are successful.”

The airport's recently announced $1.4 billion New Horizon plan intends to add even more Southwest gates.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/09/21/southwest-airlines-ceo-base-nashville-flights.html

Nashville should eventually be an operating base for Southwest. I'll give it about 5-10 more years. Indirectly, Southwest is already kind of an hub. 

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

Allegiant Air has announced new nonstop service connecting Nashville to Provo, Utah and Akron, Ohio beginning in February, 2023.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/tourism/allegiant-to-connect-nashville-to-akron-provo/article_2b227000-65ca-11ed-ad81-2ba771cdb30f.html

If I did my math right, this makes 32 destinations that Allegiant serves out of BNA although some are seasonal.  Not bad for an airline which didn't start flying into BNA until, what, four years ago?  Southwest is still 1st with 58 destinations out of BNA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmtunafish said:

If I did my math right, this makes 32 destinations that Allegiant serves out of BNA although some are seasonal.  Not bad for an airline which didn't start flying into BNA until, what, four years ago?  Southwest is still 1st with 58 destinations out of BNA.

Hopefully the PVU route does better than the route to BOI did. The Boise route did not return after its initial season. 

• 2 weeks later...