Nashville International Airport PHOTOS (BNA), Airlines and Flights General discussion

Lexy

• 2 weeks later...

While not overly significant, Air Canada has swapped a fair number of their Toronto flights to their leisure partner, Air Canada Rouge, for the summer. There was no announcement but shows on most of the schedule for the summer, then reverts back to "regular" Air Canada/Air Canada Express later in the year.

5 minutes ago, markhollin said:

After two years of intense negotiations, Nashville International Airport has finally sealed the deal on a new use-and-lease agreement with its top airlines.

This eight-year contract not only cements a robust relationship with the 10 signatory airlines but also safeguards the airport's high credit rating, which is vital to financing Metro Nashville Airport Authority's upcoming construction projects.

Terminal rental rates will increase from $116.50 to $176 per square foot. Airlines will now be required to have six daily gate turns, up from 4.5 turns, or at least 900 scheduled aircraft seats on each gate to maximize space.

The AULA signatories are Southwest Airlines, Delta Airlines, Alaska, Allegiant, American, Frontier, JetBlue, Spirit, United and FedEx. Non-signatory airlines face a 25% premium on airport usage fees and services. The deal is effective until June 30, 2031.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2023/06/14/nashville-airport-strikes-50-50-rent-deal-with-airlines-to-offset-costs/70294050007/

Maybe I'm too fastidious for my own good, but it drives me crazy that the Tennessean hires journalists who don't know the airline industry to write about the airline industry.  First, there was a recent article referring to BNA as NAS, and now they got Delta's name wrong.  It's Delta Air Lines, not Delta Airlines.  As a former Delta employee, this is one of my pet peeves that's a bigger deal to me than it is to 99.99% of the rest of the world.  Still, I have little patience for journalists who cavalierly write without verifying.  At any rate, I'm glad that BNA and the airlines have come to an agreement which will ensure BNA's financial security for years to come.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

Maybe I'm too fastidious for my own good, but it drives me crazy that the Tennessean hires journalists who don't know the airline industry to write about the airline industry.  First, there was a recent article referring to BNA as NAS, and now they got Delta's name wrong.  It's Delta Air Lines, not Delta Airlines.  As a former Delta employee, this is one of my pet peeves that's a bigger deal to me than it is to 99.99% of the rest of the world.  Still, I have little patience for journalists who cavalierly write without verifying.  At any rate, I'm glad that BNA and the airlines have come to an agreement which will ensure BNA's financial security for years to come.

Yeah, that is so minor to those that don't follow the industry, but egregious to those of us that care or do/have worked in it.

This should help poke some of these ULCCs (namely Allegiant) from what is seemingly gate-sitting. BNA may be a focus city in their operations, but numerous routes have operated <60% capacity. The exact ones I do not recall but I have seen a list of them. 

While that doesn't seem like a huge deal to many, for an airport that is gate-constrained currently, that's a big problem. With the shuffle upcoming of when the A concourse gets knocked down with its total revamp & expansion coming up pretty soon, this will be another squeeze for a few years. 

Edited by NashRugger
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, NashRugger said:

Yeah, that so minor to those that don't follow the industry, but egregious to those of us that care or do/have worked in it.

This should help poke some of these ULCCs (namely Allegiant) from what is seemingly gate-sitting. BNA may be a focus city in their operations, but numerous routes have operated <60% capacity. The exact ones I do not recall but I have seen a list of them. 

While that doesn't seem like a huge deal to many, for an airport that is gate-constrained currently, that's a big problem. With the shuffle upcoming of when the A concourse gets knocked down with its total revamp & expansion coming up pretty soon, this will be another squeeze for a few years. 

My favorite US airport is Tampa International (TPA).  I was shocked to find out that BNA and TPA have roughly the same amount of passengers:  TPA at roughly 21.5 million, BNA at roughly 20 million.  Yet TPA has 59 gates while BNA has only 42, and TPA sure doesn't seem like any of those 59 gates are wasted.  How many gates will BNA have once all the expansion is complete (if it'll ever be complete)?  Hats off to the people at BNA who are able to manage so many passengers with so few gates.

• Like 4

Flew in last night from Florida, the traffic into the terminal was so backed up, my ride could not get through and had to exit at Old Hickory and turn around.  The drop off and pick up areas are poorly planned and with the hotel and garages, not sure how it can  be fixed easily.  The ring road around the garages into the drop off and pick up area were bumper to bumper and barely moved at all.  

Edited by GreenHillsBoy

3 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

My favorite US airport is Tampa International (TPA).  I was shocked to find out that BNA and TPA have roughly the same amount of passengers:  TPA at roughly 21.5 million, BNA at roughly 20 million.  Yet TPA has 59 gates while BNA has only 42, and TPA sure doesn't seem like any of those 59 gates are wasted.  How many gates will BNA have once all the expansion is complete (if it'll ever be complete)?  Hats off to the people at BNA who are able to manage so many passengers with so few gates.

TPA is my favorite as well. It is so well laid out, easy to navigate, and even when it's busy, it isn't that bad. They're about to undergo some major work down there as well with the runways and such.

If I read everything correctly, 69 gates is the final planned total.

I'm not sure what all they can do about the ring road for the airport, but it is terribly laid out and no real way to fix out of it. That said, way too many folks expect to be picked up curbside when it's easier just to have someone park in the terminal garage and pay the $10 or whatever versus sitting and waiting. Kicking rideshare out to the garages has helped, but the arrivals area is too small for the amount of traffic, just like at Austin-Bergstrom. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, NashRugger said:

TPA is my favorite as well. It is so well laid out, easy to navigate, and even when it's busy, it isn't that bad. They're about to undergo some major work down there as well with the runways and such.

If I read everything correctly, 69 gates is the final planned total.

I'm not sure what all they can do about the ring road for the airport, but it is terribly laid out and no real way to fix out of it. That said, way too many folks expect to be picked up curbside when it's easier just to have someone park in the terminal garage and pay the $10 or whatever versus sitting and waiting. Kicking rideshare out to the garages has helped, but the arrivals area is too small for the amount of traffic, just like at Austin-Bergstrom. 

From the BNA website:

“To build a bigger, better airport requires a more strategic roadway system to improve traffic flow,” said Doug Kreulen, MNAA president and CEO. This project is essential as we look to the future and prepare for growth over the next 20 years. We are now entering the most transformative phase of our expansion with the terminal renovation underway and the launch of the roadway improvements project. This project will dramatically enhance BNA’s roadway system by adding a new outer loop roadway and realigning and widening existing roadways to build greater capacity and improve traffic circulation. It will be executed concurrently with the Tennessee Department of Transportation’s Donelson Pike relocation project with completion anticipated in late 2024.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2023 at 9:49 AM, jmtunafish said:

I had never considered that BNA has less than 10% fewer passengers than TPA, considering just how much bigger of an airport TPA is than BNA. The layout of BNA caused by its design as a small American hub is just very unfortunate. 

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
typo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Allegiant doesn’t have “hubs” or even connecting flights. It’s all point to point. They do have large stations / bases in many cities, Nashville is one of them. 

The ten airports with the most Allegiant nonstop destinations:

1. Orlando/Sanford - 71
  2. Las Vegas - 62
  3. St Petersburg/Clearwater - 57
  4. Punta Gorda - 53
  5. Phoenix/Mesa - 48
  6. Destin/Fort Walton Beach - 39
  7. Nashville - 33
  8. Los Angeles - 31
  9. Fort Lauderdale - 27
  10. Cincinnati - 21

This doesn't mean that Nashville is their 7th largest market as not every destination is served every day.  Someone with more time on their hands can look up just how many Allegiant flights there are in a given day from each airport.

• Thanks 1