North Tryon (re)Development: 277 to Old Concord

kermit

There are too many projects around here for us to not have a thread on it.

In surprise (to me) news, the County has purchased the bulk of the old North Park mall (which is now Kimbrells Furniture) at Eastway. They say they will move library support services there, the Sugar Creek library branch and have a "community resource center." In all the county now owns about 20 acres and 200,000 square feet under roof.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/08/14/mecklenburg-county-buys-another-portion-of.html

Honestly I am disappointed by this news, this is a prime chunk of land (its backside adjoins the Old Concord Station) and what the county is proposing is a very low-intensity use. Very much the opposite of TOD. Between this and the car dealership we are really pissing away BLE TOD opportunities.

^^^ In the above mentioned article about the county's purchase of the Kimbrells site on North Tryon and Eastway is this from the article

""Christenbury cited the site's adjacency to an Atrium family health clinic as well as proximity to a light-rail station and "excellent" CATS service along Eastway as reasons for the county's investment in the property.   Also proposed for the site is a relocated Sugar Creek library branch, which currently operates at 4045 N. Tryon St. Conversations around "housing and other potential partners" are ongoing, Christenbury said.""

So it may end up being a mixed used project.  There are larger tracts of vacant or under used land along the LYNX line from Sugar Creek to Univ. City Blvd station and I think you will see some large projects in the future.  One day the Asian Square mall maybe redeveloped. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

There are larger tracts of vacant or under used land along the LYNX line from Sugar Creek to Univ. City Blvd station and I think you will see some large projects in the future. 

Boy howdy!

(Boy howdy was an old form of expression of excitement when I was a boy)

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Asian Mall sale is in the works, kind of. Current owners are not interested in selling their successful laundromat so hey ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Interesting. The strip in general is important in the community, but it would be interesting to see a partial redevelopment of the parking lot and/or a small portion of the strip. It would be great if the atrium businesses stayed intact.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

the parking lot of now Asian Square Mall formerly Tryon Mall in early 1980s has not be repaved since my aunt would take me there to the Woolco store that once anchored Tryon Mall and yes it had some interior facing stores.  

Still does surprisingly, though you're limited to a few restaurants and nicknacks. Most of the stores are only accessed from the street and have their storage from the interior entrances.

• Like 1

Re: Development along middle-BLE stations.

IMHO there is no way the next 10-15 years will not see an increase of TOD between Old Concord Rd and University City stations.

Compare them to the original Blue Line: the stations are at-grade rather than up a great wall, the existing strip development is more modest in scale, rather than overwhelmingly-large seas of asphalt. And there are actually periodic old buildings that could conceivably be renovated for prolonged life.
I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

CBJ reports that the very large Stein Fibers facility at Old Concord has been sold:

The new owner — REO Fund 6, affiliated with REO Asset Strategies in Atlanta — plans to keep the building as a warehouse in the short term and will likely look at redevelopment in the future, Hensley said. The property, steps away from the Old Concord Road Station on the Lynx Blue Line, was listed on the market in February.

Honestly I am a little shocked that development is pushing up this way so quickly. I had really thought the Old Concord area would follow the same path as Arrowood and Sharon Rd.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/08/30/textile-company-sells-distribution-center-on-light.html

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Desert Power said:

QT does own that land according to Polaris

There has been a QuikTrip opened at Old Concord and N Tryon for a while now.  The old Stein Fibers building may become a mixed used project in the future but for right now just warehousing space.  There is plenty of land nearby to redevelop in this area.  

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/15/2018 at 12:28 AM, Matthew.Brendan said:

Asian Mall sale is in the works, kind of. Current owners are not interested in selling their successful laundromat so hey ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Any new developments on this property? I hope this mall, and the other dead mall near Old Concord, get redeveloped sometime this decade. They’re in walking distance to the Lynx stations and could serve as strong TOD for their respective areas. 

57 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

Any new developments on this property? I hope this mall, and the other dead mall near Old Concord, get redeveloped sometime this decade. They’re in walking distance to the Lynx stations and could serve as strong TOD for their respective areas. 

NorthPark mall is owned mainly by the county now and the Library will move book storage out there and also seek proposals for affordable housing on that mall site at Old Concord and N Tryon 

• Like 2