International A-A History Museum

vicupstate

Nice, Vic,  :) they can finally move on.  :yahoo:I just wish the design was different...and as outstanding as the one in DC  The Charleston design is dull.  It's a pity today's Charlestonians don't think outside the box like their forefathers:  The Manigaults, the Pickneys, the  Edmondstons who had bolder architecture vision.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:22 PM, Charles Pearson said:

Nice, Vic,  :) they can finally move on.  :yahoo:I just wish the design was different...and as outstanding as the one in DC  The Charleston design is dull.  It's a pity today's Charlestonians don't think outside the box like their forefathers:  The Manigaults, the Pickneys, the  Edmondstons who had bolder architecture vision.

I agree.  The design is uninspiring.  Hopefully the interior will offset the dullness of the exterior.

Construction will commence early 2019.

• Like 1

Let's hope so. It looks like a long flat box I expect to find a giant outdated keyboard inside I wouldn't know how to use. Nothing as striking as DC's museum or even Detroit's Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History.  However, I will still check it out when completed...because it's CHARLESTON.

charlestonAfricanMuseum.png

detroitafricanmus6928286170_9d92efc426_b.jpg

Edited by Charles Pearson

The design does seem rather “safe”, which is disappointing. However, I look forward to checking it out!

Side question: Why the ‘international’ label? Seems rather locally focused, which seems more interesting to me, anyhow. 

Edited by GvilleSC

On 8/24/2018 at 7:16 PM, GvilleSC said:

The design does seem rather “safe”, which is disappointing. However, I look forward to checking it out!

Side question: Why the ‘international’ label? Seems rather locally focused, which seems more interesting to me, anyhow. 

The design is exceedingly drab, especially for Charleston...smh. That's quite disappointing.

As far as the international label goes, I suspect they really wanted to give it a 'national' label but the one in DC pretty much took that label. Charleston was ground zero for the slave trade in America for a number of years and the first slaves actually came from Barbados. I suspect the museum will do a good job of highlighting the triangular slave trade which very much makes it an international museum in scope.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Nucor pledges $2.5 mm to IAAM

Steelmaking giant Nucor Corp. has pledged $2.5 million to Charleston’s International African American Museum, the largest gift announced so far this year.

The IAAM has announced three other major contributions in 2019: a $2 million pledge from the Mormon Church, a $1.5 million gift from the New York-based Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, and a $1 million donation from Susu and George Dean Johnson Jr. of Spartanburg.

Though they had celebrated raising the initial goal of $75 million in August, museum leaders announced in December that about $10 million more was needed, mostly due to rising construction costs. 

They hope to have final figures in June, Riley said, and bring a construction contract to City Council in mid-July. If that happens, it’s likely a groundbreaking ceremony would be held in October, he said. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...