Laurens Road Corridor

vicupstate

On 5/4/2021 at 10:20 AM, vicupstate said:

Four story  building that fronts on the respective streets (Ackley and Laurens).  PUD with MF.  I like the site plan but the architecture is wretched awful, IMO.  Think Soviet block style.  Doesn't fit the residential area behind it at all.    

Just seeing this, and yeah, that is HIDEOUS! Looks like a jail. :blink:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 5:50 PM, vicupstate said:

INFORMAL REVIEW of Z-10-2021 Application by NHE Inc. for a REZONE of 3.87 acres located at 1200 LAURENS RD from R-6 and C-3 to PD (TM# 019800-04-03200, 019800-04-00200, 019800- 04-00300).

Rezoning approved by council unanimously(2nd and final).  Planning Commission will review architecture later. Mayor White says substantial changes expected on architecture. District councilman Gibson and Mayor White strongly encouraged changes to the architecture. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Galley said:

The Maserati dealership has closed, and Touring Sport has been sold and moved to Greer.  Is something planned for that corner?

I hoped my Maserati could do 185 again.  Life has been good to me so far.

If I were the South Carolina Department of Transportation, I would be seeking to improve the interchange of Pleasantburg Drive and Laurens Road.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ingvegas said:

I hope the material and architecture is an improvement over prior projects. Granted, I do not know that the budget was for these prior projects.  

https://mccallcap.com/communities/past

Yea, those are rather generic, suburban garden-style apartments. It's interesting that this proposed project would be their first attempt to step out of what appears to be their comfort zone. I welcome and applaud their willingness to do something different that will be positive for the community. Hopefully the City holds their feet to the fire on delivering something of quality and fully realizing their vision. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That actually was a former 60's era Belk department store  long before it was Kimbrell's wasn't it?  Not sure I am a fan of covering the exterior with that ugly modern looking facade that will probably be dated in  10-15 years. Always liked the back entrance with that vintage staircase but I'm a sucker for vintage (esp.50's and 60's era) retail stores.  Appreciate when they restore exteriors to way they once looked.

Edited by vistatiger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

The latest on 1200 Laurens project aka The Alliance.  Definitely an improvement. 

1200 Laurens Rd - The Alliance  

This is a good precedent for future Laurens Rd redevelopment -- mostly referring to the site plan, but the aesthetic is decent. I didn't mind the previous proposal's design language.