Laurens Road Corridor

vicupstate

19 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

I honestly can't remember the original plans for Verdae, do we still have access to them?

Here's the 2012 masterplan. There was also a 2015 version of the map that is much closer to the current Verdae layout. 

Verdae_Masterplan_2012_web.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/16/2022 at 5:45 PM, gman430 said:

What happened to this project: https://mccallcap.com/communities/current/laurens-village Is it dead like every other project in the area? 

Welp...this is slated to start construction next month according to the bid packages. I'll believe it when I see it though. 

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

I hope when they say 'mixed use', they truly mean a residential component with commercial uses. Something that is visible from the interstate would be nice, but I don't want the lush element of that stretch of highway to be lost. Look forward to seeing what they have in mind....

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

I honestly never realized there was a road back there. I highly agree with this quote from the developer, there is tons of potential along the "reverse" side of the new SRT through this area.

“We don’t exactly know what the program is yet,” Elliott told The Post and Courier. “We’re certainly working on it, but we feel like, with that land, where it’s positioned, it deserves something very special.”

12 acres along Swamp Rabbit Trail

This is an immediate win for the much talked about SRT bridges and Cleveland Park extension that would not have happened without that public investment in infrastructure.  They're hoping to have plans to bring to the city by the beginning of next year.

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 2

"Greenville developer spends $2.7M for 12 acres along future Swamp Rabbit Trail." https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/greenville-developer-spends-2-7m-for-12-acres-along-future-swamp-rabbit-trail/article_d1a02da4-4a2d-11ed-9711-23e633590ee1.html

Sorry, I just noticed this Newly Upstate has already posted this article. Unable to delete. 

Edited by gman

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 2:20 PM, gman said:

"Greenville developer spends $2.7M for 12 acres along future Swamp Rabbit Trail." https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/greenville-developer-spends-2-7m-for-12-acres-along-future-swamp-rabbit-trail/article_d1a02da4-4a2d-11ed-9711-23e633590ee1.html

Sorry, I just noticed this Newly Upstate has already posted this article. Unable to delete. 

Greenville developer planning major project along Swamp Rabbit Trail extension - UPSTATE BUSINESS JOURNAL

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Laurens Road is the ugliest and most derelict major road in the eastern side of Greenville.

The portion just east of the Woodruff Road intersection was a prime shopping area in the 1980s.  Now it’s a closed Taco Bell, a vacant lot where a big-box retailer was, etc.  It’s a poster child for the need to avoid continuing new construction at the edge of town.

15 minutes ago, DirectorBob0209 said:

That's right. The whole reason why I moved to Verdae from Florida in 2017 🙄. And here we are in 2023 still waiting lol. 

Yep. And in twenty years the site will still look the same just like the Gateway site downtown. Welcome to Greenville. If this was Charlotte or Atlanta it would get built but not here. But who cares about that and other stalled projects in the area. Let’s worry instead about Magnolia Parking Lot Town Center. 

Edited by gman430

16 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Yep. And in twenty years the site will still look the same just like the Gateway site downtown. Welcome to Greenville. If this was Charlotte or Atlanta it would get built but not here. But who cares about that and other stalled projects in the area. Let’s worry instead about Magnolia Parking Lot Town Center. 

Come on.

Gateway Station in uptown Charlotte has been “coming soon” for 20 years.

The Bridges at Mint Hill?

The Levine land uptown?

The film studios in the Eastland Mall site?

How many of those have been built?

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Here we go again. Smh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1