Raleigh City Hall

RALNATIVE

24 minutes ago, Phillydog said:

FWIW, Charlotte Government Center is 15 stories.  Could the chance to give Charlotte a little dig be the cherry on the icing of the cake for COR?

Good point. :tw_wink:

I'd imagine that Raleigh will have one of the tallest city halls in the country once this is built.

• Like 2

Cost has risen from $165 million 12 months ago during the election  to $190 million. Having seen Raleigh Union Station go up in cost by about one-third as the project went along, I wonder how much this building will come in at.  But we're still short of the $226 million estimated for the Lightner Center -- and that was in 2009 dollars and at a time when construction crews were desperate for work. 

5 hours ago, ctl said:

Cost has risen from $165 million 12 months ago during the election  to $190 million. Having seen Raleigh Union Station go up in cost by about one-third as the project went along, I wonder how much this building will come in at.  But we're still short of the $226 million estimated for the Lightner Center -- and that was in 2009 dollars and at a time when construction crews were desperate for work. 

Heavy construction costs are almost spiraling out of control. It is really straining local government units. Often they can't even get 3 bids for things and hence the skyrocketing costs. Either maintenance costs will be deferred or tax rates will have to go up faster to match these cost requirements. Growth alone isn't (never was actually) covering this. 

• Thanks 1

The infamous Wake County Taxpayers Association doesn't have the clout it once did. But if the aggregate tax rate (city + county, sales + property) continue to rise, we could see a resurrected WCTA when the economy turns down. Right now there is so much prosperity in the city and county that it's easy to raise taxes. It won't always be this way.  At some point there is resistance although no one knows exactly where.

Don't say it can't happen here. I remember RTP in 2000 when the telecom bubble burst. In 1999 it took forever to drive from DTR to RTP in rush hour... bumper-to-bumper all the way. In 2001 you could drive it in rush hour without ever hitting your brake pedal.

Edited by ctl
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2018 at 10:29 PM, RALNATIVE said:

Good point. :tw_wink:

I'd imagine that Raleigh will have one of the tallest city halls in the country once this is built.

Just for kicks, I put this into a quick Google search. While certainly 20 stories would be a large city hall for a city Raleigh's size (and probably in anticipation of future growth as well), it would be nowhere the largest city hall in the country. For instance, Los Angeles has a city hall that stands almost 500' and 32 stories. The thread I linked talked about worldwide city halls, but includes several others in the US. Philadelphia has a tall city hall, but most of that height isn't really functional I don't believe. Buffalo's city hall stands just under 400' and is 32 stories as well. Phoenix is 20 stories as well and stands at 368'.

Nevertheless, a 20 story city hall will add to Raleigh's skyline... and will do so even if it is reduced in scope (as I would expect it to be).

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=691964

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HRVT said:

Just for kicks, I put this into a quick Google search. While certainly 20 stories would be a large city hall for a city Raleigh's size (and probably in anticipation of future growth as well), it would be nowhere the largest city hall in the country. For instance, Los Angeles has a city hall that stands almost 500' and 32 stories. The thread I linked talked about worldwide city halls, but includes several others in the US. Philadelphia has a tall city hall, but most of that height isn't really functional I don't believe. Buffalo's city hall stands just under 400' and is 32 stories as well. Phoenix is 20 stories as well and stands at 368'.

Nevertheless, a 20 story city hall will add to Raleigh's skyline... and will do so even if it is reduced in scope (as I would expect it to be).

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=691964

I did not say that it would be the tallest. It would indeed be among the tallest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

I did not say that it would be the tallest. It would indeed be among the tallest.

I know... I was just looking at other tall city halls for kicks.... I know another city with a large city hall is Richmond who has a 19 story city hall.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...