Sign in to follow this  
eandslee

VCU Health Outpatient Facility Tower (16-17 Stories)

More crane parts just showed up at the construction site!  These crane parts look like tower crane parts!!  It's all starting to happen folks!

38 minutes ago, Shakman said:

Are you referring to the red pieces of something on the flat bed?  

Yes!

1 hour ago, Shakman said:

Are you referring to the red pieces of something on the flat bed?  

I am second-guessing my assumption that the latest crane pieces are parts of a tower crane.  It almost looks like they are part of an extension to the current mobile crane on site (to make it taller).  :(

I think this one will need a tower crane, here's why I think so, I'm not an expert  but thinking out loud.   

Height - building will be too tall, but looking on line, there are mobile that seem to be able to get up the 16-17 story,  VCU Gladding was 12 stories, was max'd out it looked like, the last floors the crane was basically vertical to lift up.  

Mass - Unlike the VCU Gladding residence building, which was all mobile, this building  will have no court yard to drive the mobile crane around  to all the positions required to get  the material up.

If it is a tower crane, I think there will be a pad for it.  They dinked around this area for quite awhile, see red arrow below, this is in the lower left of the overall site. 

I think there was something underground, but perhaps this could also be a base, but may just be the underground utility, drain, etc.  We'll keep our eyes open for pad(s), think this project could have 2 cranes?

VCU_Health_Outpatient_Facility_#1-20180822-125252.jpg

Edited by Hike

Those maybe utility vaults.  I do remember a hole with form work a couple of weeks ago in this location.   If you look back to 8/14/2018 frame the zoom into this area, you can see the form work.  Though a tower crane in this vicinity would make sense.

If the foundation has caissons, then this would explain why the crawler is onsite.

Edited by Shakman

Well, after seeing my what I’m seeing in the construction cam, I have a horrible feeling that there will be NO tower cranes for this project!  Looks like they are modifying the mobile tower on site so that it will be tall enough to do what they need done without the use of a tower crane!  What?!?  Is this a thing now?!?  The Locks is doing this, this project is doing this...but then you have other much shorter projects that are utilizing tower cranes!  I just don’t get it. It must be money that is driving the non-use of tower cranes these days.  I guess the only way to assure a tower crane will be used is to build so tall that a tower crane is the only choice!

We will see.  I still think this crawler will not build the actual tower.  Excavation still has to be complete.

Edited by Shakman

It actually looks like some sort of gantry for drilling (the red crane part is vertical).  Seems really big, but I'm not super knowledgeable on this kind of thing.

Edited by eandslee

45 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Baby crane ? 

I think you might be right.  Looks like a baby tower crane!

57 minutes ago, Shakman said:

This assembly will be used to drill or ram the foundation piles.  The purpose of the crawler crane is to hold the drill (or ramming) rig which is the red vertical shaft. 

http://www.understandconstruction.com/pile-foundations.html

Thank you for clarifying this.  Man, I need to brush up on my major construction knowledge!

My what a big drill you have.  Seriously though, these borings are going down...

VCU_Health_Outpatient_Facility_Drill.jpg

Edited by Hike
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

LOL!  I thought the same thing!  The holes they are digging with this puppy are DEEP!  Never seen that before!

On 8/28/2018 at 12:56 PM, Hike said:

My what a big drill you have.  Seriously though, these borings are going down...

VCU_Health_Outpatient_Facility_Drill.jpg

After installing piles between the lagging boards and the concrete wall along East Leigh Street, this crane was disassembled and removed last week. 

(Shakman scratching his bald head)  Perhaps to shore up East Leigh Street during excavation?  Usually underpinning cables from the lagging boards to under East Leigh Street should take of this.  When I was looked the renderings, it appeared the foot print on the building along E Leigh Street will be outside the excavated hole.  Is this correct?  

Edited by Shakman

The thing I like about this tower/project the most is that it is going to make the area up around City Hall look so much more dense. It differs depending on the angle, but a lot of times City Hall kind of stands apart from every other tower in the city and looks isolated. 

• Like 2

It looks like the base is in, filled in nice and neat around the concrete base - I'm no  Nostradamus, but the crane may be installed this weekend or very soon at least.  Don't they usually do these on  a Sunday - stage the sections near the diamond?

VCU_Health_Outpatient_Facility_#1-20181005-131052.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, I think your assessment is on point.  I think it is Brent114 who usually looks out for the tower crane staging at the Diamond. Keep your eyes peeled Brent114!!

Edited by eandslee