VCU Health Outpatient Facility Tower (16-17 Stories)

eandslee

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Shakman said:

Are you referring to the red pieces of something on the flat bed?  

I am second-guessing my assumption that the latest crane pieces are parts of a tower crane.  It almost looks like they are part of an extension to the current mobile crane on site (to make it taller).  :(

Those maybe utility vaults.  I do remember a hole with form work a couple of weeks ago in this location.   If you look back to 8/14/2018 frame the zoom into this area, you can see the form work.  Though a tower crane in this vicinity would make sense.

If the foundation has caissons, then this would explain why the crawler is onsite.

Well, after seeing my what I’m seeing in the construction cam, I have a horrible feeling that there will be NO tower cranes for this project!  Looks like they are modifying the mobile tower on site so that it will be tall enough to do what they need done without the use of a tower crane!  What?!?  Is this a thing now?!?  The Locks is doing this, this project is doing this...but then you have other much shorter projects that are utilizing tower cranes!  I just don’t get it. It must be money that is driving the non-use of tower cranes these days.  I guess the only way to assure a tower crane will be used is to build so tall that a tower crane is the only choice!

57 minutes ago, Shakman said:

This assembly will be used to drill or ram the foundation piles.  The purpose of the crawler crane is to hold the drill (or ramming) rig which is the red vertical shaft. 

http://www.understandconstruction.com/pile-foundations.html

Thank you for clarifying this.  Man, I need to brush up on my major construction knowledge!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2018 at 12:56 PM, Hike said:

My what a big drill you have.  Seriously though, these borings are going down...

VCU_Health_Outpatient_Facility_Drill.jpg

After installing piles between the lagging boards and the concrete wall along East Leigh Street, this crane was disassembled and removed last week. 

(Shakman scratching his bald head)  Perhaps to shore up East Leigh Street during excavation?  Usually underpinning cables from the lagging boards to under East Leigh Street should take of this.  When I was looked the renderings, it appeared the foot print on the building along E Leigh Street will be outside the excavated hole.  Is this correct?  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived