Contributors We Miss

spenser1058

35 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It is stunning how much things changed over the course of a couple of months. If we all do the IGNORE thing, hopefully we'll get back to normal.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

Maybe it's time to spread the word and encourage as many other UPers as possible, to start using the ignore feature with regards to our "problem" and hopefully it will get bored posting to itself and eventually go away.

If I may add a few honorable mentions to the list; orlandonative, bulldogger, bic, John Hargrove. Granted they've moved on for various reasons before the drama, but their contributions over the years are valued as well.

If we're being 100% truthful here, let's call a spade a spade and admit that sometimes other members of this forum engage in unsavory or unnecessary behavior at one time or another and have gone unchecked. So if there is a degree of civility & decorum to be upheld, let's uphold these standards whenever someone crosses the line and not just when it's coming from an unpopular user or lashing out when someone expresses a dissenting opinion.

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Did any of the 4 actually bow out or just haven’t posted?

prahaboheme made a post last month bidding us adieu.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

If I may add a few honorable mentions to the list; orlandonative, bulldogger, bic, John Hargrove. Granted they've moved on for various reasons before the drama, but their contributions over the years are valued as well.

If we're being 100% truthful here, let's call a spade a spade and admit that sometimes other members of this forum engage in unsavory or unnecessary behavior at one time or another and have gone unchecked. So if there is a degree of civility & decorum to be upheld, let's uphold these standards whenever someone crosses the line and not just when it's coming from an unpopular user or lashing out when someone expresses a dissenting opinion.

Occasionally stepping out of line is forgivable. We are human beings, not robots or computers. The problems arise when it becomes a habitual and ongoing thing with one member who creates the appearance that he is only here to stir up trouble.

• Thanks 2

"Contributors We Miss":    339 views on 31 posts over 1/2 day = 11 views per post

My last post on "Cool Things in Other Cities" = 33 views in 2 hours

People obviously hate reading my stuff. 

And everyone has clearly rushed to block me.  

LOL.   Some people truly think they own this website and speak for other people.  Joke's on you. 

Congrats - great job.  I hadn’t noticed the exodus of posters as I stay busy despite how much I post here but now that it has been pointed out it does seem this board has gone from a place to provide updates and discuss them to something quite different.

I think I’ll probably follow suit.   I’ve been thinking about a different medium to share downtown updates that might better fill the gap that our hyperlocal blogs have left lately.  I have no intent on monetizing it and once I figure out what that looks like I’ll share it back for spencer and crew.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Congrats - great job.  I hadn’t noticed the exodus of posters as I stay busy despite how much I post here but now that it has been pointed out it does seem this board has gone from a place to provide updates and discuss them to something quite different.

I think I’ll probably follow suit.   I’ve been thinking about a different medium to share downtown updates that might better fill the gap that our hyperlocal blogs have left lately.  I have no intent on monetizing it and once I figure out what that looks like I’ll share it back for spencer and crew.  

Or you can block me. 

I blocked 4 people yesterday.  It's not hard.  It really isn't. 

Take responsibility for yourself.  

Any by the way, there are literally hundreds of names on this site that are no longer active.   Is that my fault too?   Start your own website.  That makes sense. 

Edited by I am Reality

23 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Why let one poster drive you away from something you've enjoyed and been a part of for so long?

That's just giving them what they want.

Why let someone come in and succeed in their efforts to destroy?

• Like 1

So far as I'm concerned, Jernigan is one of the pillars of this place. To lose him would be a severe blow to everything this room is.

We can't (apparently) do anything about the poster I think of as "Ouiser" (he's apparently been in a very bad mood for 40 years.)

What I can commit to, however, is to make sure that, in the actual project posts (where a specific building is named,) is to keep the posts to "just the facts, ma'am". I probably will just avoid those posts altogether as I tend to see things in terms of what they do to neighborhoods and end up going afield. Some of our development tends to run in waves, like tattoo parlors, then bars, then 7-Elevens. That makes me crazy and I make jokes. But our purists deserve the spaces they crave as well.

Jernigan notes he thinks we've perhaps gone too far to the lighter side (he's not alone, I know others like Tim have expressed similar concerns on occasion.) My goal was not to end up like the Orlando room of SSC where weeks go by without a single post. I believe we can find room for both.

Here's hoping we can make a safe space for the purists and the big-tent folks both.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

I like my info with a side of fun.  I think it bonds people together.  I agree with what Spencer said, the humor and general trivia tend to keep it from being a handful of posts a week.  When you don't see posts, you'll check less frequently because you know you won't miss anything, which means more people will check less frequently, and it tends to fall into disuse.  It's a shame the focus has moved to one problem so much lately around here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've got an idea that's completely out-of-the-box for this group.

Why don't we let people post whatever the hell they want? 

It's sickening a handful of people think they control this website.  They determine what's good for it, as if they're guardians who protect it from the evils of differing opinions. .

My opinion - and yours -is just as valid as their's.  I make no attempt to stop them for saying whatever they want. Yet they think they can stop me from expressing my legit opinions. 

In my mind, the only thing wrong with this site is that a handful of people have hijacked it.

This is a public forum.  Treat it like one.

Edited by I am Reality

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I like my info with a side of fun.  I think it bonds people together.  I agree with what Spencer said, the humor and general trivia tend to keep it from being a handful of posts a week.  When you don't see posts, you'll check less frequently because you know you won't miss anything, which means more people will check less frequently, and it tends to fall into disuse.  It's a shame the focus has moved to one problem so much lately around here.

Same here. And I agree completely about the bonding. If, rather than an internet forum, this was a group that actually met in person several times per week, we'd be laughing and making 7 Eleven jokes too. Probably even more than we currently do. Nothing wrong with having a little fun while talking shop. And, as has been so effectively demonstrated recently by our newly acquired resident angry antagonist, it sure as hell beats the alternative.

Our task is to not let one sourpuss with an attitude, drag the rest of us down to his level. Look at ignoring or just not responding to him, as yet another opportunity to have fun. Enjoy the knowledge that, because his desperate pleas for attention are going unheeded, it's likely driving him into private fits of frustrated rage.

Not to mention the knowledge that we're laughing at him.  :rofl:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neo said:

Tell you what guys...everyone reports everyone on this it seems and I'm getting really tired of it. I want everyone who has an opinion about what needs to be done to send me an email ([email protected]) and I will make a decision based on the responses that I get...assuming one can be obviously distinguished from others.

I have made my opinion rather well known.  Either you and this website protect differing opinions, or you don't.  If you want to get rid of me, just do it.  But don't play this game where you pretend to be against intolerance.  

You are right.  The personal attacks are getting very old.  

Just now, I am Reality said:

I have made my opinion rather well known.  Either you and this website protect differing opinions, or you don't.  If you want to get rid of me, just do it.  But don't play this game where you pretend to be against intolerance.  

You are right.  The personal attacks are getting very old.  

Actually, I didn't say that the personal attacks were getting old because I'm actually having somewhat of a difficult time seeing what the personal attacks are at times. You can only cry wolf so many times before I start ignoring to a degree.

This is a free and public site...if you don't want to be here then you don't have to be here, it is that simple. No one makes anyone stay, no one makes anyone post. Anyone is free to leave at any point in time. This is a public Internet site where we do have rules, but we also open our doors to free speech and unless it is a blatant attack on someone then I feel I'm a bit obligated to let it stand. Read that how you would like. I assure you that hate, personal attacks, etc aren't allowed on this site, but I can't recall one time where you have explicitly given me an example of an attack. You have quoted posts and say it is an attack, but I'm not going to read through pages of material just to figure out if someone is sort of out-of-sight attacking another user. That's what the ignore feature is for. And for the record on the ignore feature, it goes BOTH WAYS. You cannot expect someone else to ignore you, but you can absolutely block someone else. I'm tired of receiving reports about someone not blocking them when instead the user doing the reporting is the one that should be blocking the offending user.

Again, I'm having a really hard time finding anything truly offending but it is quite possibly I'm missing it. If I am missing it, I'm just asking that someone give me a few examples...and not just quote an entire post and call it an attack when there isn't anything obvious to go on.

3 minutes ago, Neo said:

Actually, I didn't say that the personal attacks were getting old because I'm actually having somewhat of a difficult time seeing what the personal attacks are at times. You can only cry wolf so many times before I start ignoring to a degree.

This is a free and public site...if you don't want to be here then you don't have to be here, it is that simple. No one makes anyone stay, no one makes anyone post. Anyone is free to leave at any point in time. This is a public Internet site where we do have rules, but we also open our doors to free speech and unless it is a blatant attack on someone then I feel I'm a bit obligated to let it stand. Read that how you would like. I assure you that hate, personal attacks, etc aren't allowed on this site, but I can't recall one time where you have explicitly given me an example of an attack. You have quoted posts and say it is an attack, but I'm not going to read through pages of material just to figure out if someone is sort of out-of-sight attacking another user. That's what the ignore feature is for. And for the record on the ignore feature, it goes BOTH WAYS. You cannot expect someone else to ignore you, but you can absolutely block someone else. I'm tired of receiving reports about someone not blocking them when instead the user doing the reporting is the one that should be blocking the offending user.

Again, I'm having a really hard time finding anything truly offending but it is quite possibly I'm missing it. If I am missing it, I'm just asking that someone give me a few examples...and not just quote an entire post and call it an attack when there isn't anything obvious to go on.

I have sent you multiple posts in which people have called me a douche bag or troll.  Some people have told me that, if I were a "good parent", I would move from the area.  Other have told me that they don't even believe I live here.  

All of that for giving my honest opinion on things.  

How is that acceptable? 

I can say definitely . . . the people on this website have no interest in different opinions.  If it's not mindless cheerleading, they don't tolerant it.   Period.  I have (and you) ) have repeatedly asked that they simply IGNORE me.  They'd rather argue though.  I've blocked several people myself. 

2 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

I have sent you multiple posts in which people have called me a douche bag or troll.  Some people have told me that, if I were a "good parent", I would move from the area.  Other have told me that they don't even believe I live here.  

All of that for giving my honest opinion on things.  

How is that acceptable? 

I can say definitely . . . the people on this website have no interest in different opinions.  If it's not mindless cheerleading, they don't tolerant it.   Period.  I have (and you) ) have repeatedly asked that they simply IGNORE me.  They'd rather argue though.  I've blocked several people myself. 

Please send me an email with links to those posts as I don't recall ever getting an email from you that specific or with links that called you those things.

Again, I've asked for BOTH sides to ignore each other, you keep reading that incorrectly it seems. If you do not like others' opinions on this site, you are absolutely welcome to go elsewhere. It is obvious that you are not having a good time here. If it is something that I can fix then please spell it out for me with actual examples and not just here say. I did a quick search and all I could find were posts by you that referenced the name calling but I couldn't find an instance of someone calling you that (douche bag).

I tended bar for many years. I had my regulars- I took care of them, they took care of me. When someone would get out of line and become obnoxious it was my responsibility to make them behave or if needed show them the door.

As I moved on to the professional world, I've done the same. If I have a cancerous employee I terminate them. Customers that berate my staff are asked to take their business elsewhere.

Just sayin...

16 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I tended bar for many years. I had my regulars- I took care of them, they took care of me. When someone would get out of line and become obnoxious it was my responsibility to make them behave or if needed show them the door.

As I moved on to the professional world, I've done the same. If I have a cancerous employee I terminate them. Customers that berate my staff are asked to take their business elsewhere.

Just sayin...

I love these guys who claim the high-road.

Your very name is a troll.   For real???!!! 

25 minutes ago, Neo said:

Please send me an email with links to those posts as I don't recall ever getting an email from you that specific or with links that called you those things.

Again, I've asked for BOTH sides to ignore each other, you keep reading that incorrectly it seems. If you do not like others' opinions on this site, you are absolutely welcome to go elsewhere. It is obvious that you are not having a good time here. If it is something that I can fix then please spell it out for me with actual examples and not just here say. I did a quick search and all I could find were posts by you that referenced the name calling but I couldn't find an instance of someone calling you that (douche bag).

See the last post in the "Comparing Orlando" section.

In a single post, I was called . . .

Humorless

Arrogant

Jugdmental

Self-important

d-bag.

I consider each one a personal attack.  Do you?  Do you have any plan to handle it? 

I like to bring it up everyone JFW criticizes me.  He thinks he is model of reasonableness.