Contributors We Miss

spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I know old Spense would huff off and take a few days off here and there when he got worked up, but I do seriously hope he's ok.  

Maybe ditching this forum was his New Year's Resolution?  He hasn't even logged on since the last couple days in 2022.  I'd say I tended to agree with him more than a lot of folks (although, I still detest injecting politics from either side into every thread) but that dude knows his history and I've learned so much from him.

• Like 2

I'm not 100% sure, and I hope I'm wrong, but I have certain information (less than 100% verified, but with a more than 50% likelihood) that spenser1058 has in fact, passed away.

If I'm wrong I apologize to everyone including and especially him, but as I said, some information that I have points in that direction.  

• Sad 7

55 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'm not 100% sure, and I hope I'm wrong, but I have certain information (less than 100% verified, but with a more than 50% likelihood) that spenser1058 has in fact, passed away.

If I'm wrong I apologize to everyone including and especially him, but as I said, some information that I have points in that direction.  

He will be missed dearly. I hope this forum is able to survive without him.

10 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I know old Spense would huff off and take a few days off here and there when he got worked up, but I do seriously hope he's ok.  

Maybe ditching this forum was his New Year's Resolution?  He hasn't even logged on since the last couple days in 2022.  I'd say I tended to agree with him more than a lot of folks (although, I still detest injecting politics from either side into every thread) but that dude knows his history and I've learned so much from him.

wow.  yeah, it is a loss if he did pass.  He's in my prayers.

Oh, and this is a long one...(imagine that)

That man has/had a plethora of knowledge about Florida and Volusia politics and history unseen anywhere.  It goes without saying I didn't agree with Spenser on a handful of issues, but, I did have respect for him and his opinions- still do.  But there is a slippery slope that occurs when you discuss politics and religion.  Nothing good ever comes of it.  Nevertheless, Spenser is/was Spenser and couldn't help himself.  

I tried to warn people that the two party system is rigged so that they wouldn't get bent out of shape over politics and political figures.  That notion was pretty much laughed out of the forum by several on here, including Spenser.  So, my stance on this forum changed after that, in that, if you chose not to accept what I imparted, and instead wanted to keep dwelling in the muck of red versus blue, and that's the only language you understood, then, yes, I can play that game too (by playing my role)- and I have every right to, like everybody else does on this forum (for better or worse).

Anyway, the truth is I detest politics- always have. Politics is for the masses; not for the Elite; the only party at that level is the party of money.  But I will say that Spenser had a lot of issues; you could tell in the content of his posts but also by reading between the lines.  We all have issues; but you could tell that Spenser had a lot of resentment that was built up over the years (likely because of his life experiences).  Well, he's not the only one with life experiences; we all have had them, good and bad.  So, I don't know specifically what or why his were so intense (compared to everyone else's). But even when he was 'asked' to move his comments into the politics thread, you could tell he was ticked off; almost as if he felt that his opinion(s) was/were being rejected because people didn't want them in their face in a regular forum.  I noticed that at times.  Almost as if he felt rejected because people didn't want to talk about, say, Disney and DeSantis when he wanted to, in the Lake Nona thread (or similar).

There were many times where other posters flat out told him to knock it off.  I did too.  But see, that's the rub on all this...Spenser is a microcosm of society.  One time, I tried to discuss religion but most everyone preferred to slam the religious right as justification for not believing in God or whatever; I tried to explain that they're not the authority on the subject regardless of how the MSM portrays it.  I tried to get people here to see through the veil of the propaganda machine for the masses; but no one cared to, Spenser included.  What's the danger in that?  The danger is a build up of resentment that some people  perceive as there being no way out from the perceived reality they live in.  I am by no means a mental health expert, but I've seen enough in my day to recognize that.  

Why do you think they removed the "dislike" button on this forum?  Because people are touchy.  

Why am I even saying all this stuff?  Because when you have a discontent with society, that is not a good thing, and sometimes people...do things...to themselves...God forbid.  @JFW657knows this because me and him went toe to toe on that guns issue last week.  I just hope that Spenser's data dumps weren't a note of sorts.  I will say that before he came back during the holidays, when I disappeared for a couple months, his posts were very emotionally charged- in that- he was saying stuff like if society was X then he didn't want to be part of it anymore- he said something along those lines...  

But what I said above is what I do believe; I do have my own conservative viewpoints (and some liberal ones), but I am convinced the system is rigged and politics is scripted.  Spenser didn't want to see this b/c he worked for the state for so long.  The fallacy in that was that because he never got the "secret handshake" therefore it didn't exist.  Well, based on what I know, when you are that polarized and/or polarizing, you are not much use to the "We Do" crowd.  But that's uncharted territory for most people and that notion is scarier to them than mere hatred for, say, Trump or DeSantis, which is easier to grasp.  But in the end you're still on that Hamster wheel.  I tried to convince people to get off that wheel, but apparently did a piss poor job of it.

10 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Probably survive, but won't be the same. 

Hopefully I'm wrong about him being deceased. 

I hope you are wrong. That man was a walking history book of central Florida. 

Does anyone know his real name? 

Edited by jack

18 hours ago, Jernigan said:

If its improper to post his name here and uou wouldn’t mind DMing it, I would appreciate that sense of closure.  Time flies and I think its been 15 years for me on here - predates my wife and kids.  

Stay well, everyone.  

Time flies.  I just checked and in March it will be 15 years for me, too.

As this becomes more likely I am really going to miss him.  He'd shoot me DMs every now and then when something fired him up and we'd chat until he came back down.  Even though we often agreed in opinion, I'd still get on his case for his methods which meant our agreement became a partial disagreeent.  That didn't mean I didn't enjoy everything he contributed.  A true internet Orlando historian is hard to find.

• Like 1

There is a probate case that was recently filed in OC Circuit Court, for a deceased person who (as far as I know) had the exact same first, middle and last name as spenser. 

The problem, in terms of determining whether it is or isn't spenser, is that probate case files are not public information and as such, there is no DOB listed on the page that links to individual documents regarding the case. If there was a DOB that matched spenser's of course, it could pretty much be considered confirmation. 

I'll keep following it and if any definitive information is posted in the next 2 - 4 weeks, I'll post it here.

If no new information is posted, I'll post what I information I have and how I arrived at it, and everyone can make their own determination.

Probate cases move notoriously slowly especially if there is an estate involved which more than one person has an interest in.  

Obviously I want to be extra cautious about something like this.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 2/21/2023 at 8:42 AM, JFW657 said:

There is a probate case that was recently filed in OC Circuit Court, for a deceased person who (as far as I know) had the exact same first, middle and last name as spenser. 

The problem, in terms of determining whether it is or isn't spenser, is that probate case files are not public information and as such, there is no DOB listed on the page that links to individual documents regarding the case. If there was a DOB that matched spenser's of course, it could pretty much be considered confirmation. 

This may sound obvious, but can you cross reference the name for an obituary? That may include DOB.  Also, I did a search for all probate cases from 1/1-now with the first name Jeff (as mentioned here by someone else) and only had 3 names.  I couldn't get anywhere with any of the 3 but my search my not have matched yours.