Amway Grand Plaza Facelift

Allison Slater

22 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

Not the best pics but it’s a start for a looong project! I could also see workers wandering around on the sloped  part of the tower which was nerve wracking to watch.

A361A197-B294-4970-951A-71F6482BF015.jpeg

Lol this interupted my bus ride into work this morning.  Super excited for this too :D

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Not the best pics but it’s a start for a looong project! I could also see workers wandering around on the sloped  part of the tower which was nerve wracking to watch.

A361A197-B294-4970-951A-71F6482BF015.jpeg

I don't really get it. How is the crane going to be positioned? 

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

I don't really get it. How is the crane going to be positioned? 

Looks like they are hoisting things on to the tennis courts in preparation for the crane.  My guess is if it's a tower crane it will be in the SE corner of the tower.  The exhibitors building makes it prohibitive for them to put it on the other side.

3 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Looks like they are hoisting things on to the tennis courts in preparation for the crane.  My guess is if it's a tower crane it will be in the SE corner of the tower.  The exhibitors building makes it prohibitive for them to put it on the other side.

So they're putting the base on the tennis courts? They must've been prepping for that for a while. This tower crane will be over 300 feet tall. 

Just now, GRDadof3 said:

So they're putting the base on the tennis courts? They must've been prepping for that for a while. This tower crane will be over 300 feet tall. 

I don't know what they are hoisting up there.  It wouldn't make sense to base crane from the tennis courts, they'd have to attach it through the area of the pool in that case.  I'm not an architect or a structural engineer so i'm only speculating.   The base of the crane itself will probably sit on the sidewalk along Pearl.   

10 hours ago, MJLO said:

I don't know what they are hoisting up there.  It wouldn't make sense to base crane from the tennis courts, they'd have to attach it through the area of the pool in that case.  I'm not an architect or a structural engineer so i'm only speculating.   The base of the crane itself will probably sit on the sidewalk along Pearl.   

This will be fun to watch it unfold. I'm trying to remember how they replaced all the exterior panels on Plaza Towers? 

6 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

This will be fun to watch it unfold. I'm trying to remember how they replaced all the exterior panels on Plaza Towers? 

47366645162_17c984db02_o.png

Twas a tower crane.  Though they were replacing precast panels which would seem more intensive than glass.  Still a tower crane seems likely in this case. 

I was at a Christmas party on the "upper floor" of Cygnus, and thought that if they ever wanted extra space, they could "easily" add another level. The elevator goes up to the upper level banquet space, but it only has about half (or 1/3rd) of the floor space. If they were to extend the floorspace across the entire floor, they'd get a lot more usable space. 

I wonder if the "new" Cygnus will end up having more room?

Joe