Amway Grand Plaza Facelift

Allison Slater

On 6/25/2021 at 7:48 AM, Raildude's dad said:

Your bland concrete covered up with plain black. That's not an improvement in my book. Yes there are glass windowed walls in the rooms but as can be seen in a previous photo, now the window curtains can be seen in multiple stages of closed / open.  That looks tacky to me.

Now I think you're being overly particular. Of course metal panels are better than cold gray concrete walls. And you can't really see the curtains unless you are really looking hard for them (that view in the picture above is a view that is not normal and not from ground level), 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I like the metal cladding on the lower levels of the Amway Grand. They look to be getting pretty close to finishing the tower glass and meeting up with the lower levels. 

IMG_1155.jpeg

I think it looks fine, but i dont think it will age well…

• Like 1

23 hours ago, InSecurity said:

I noticed that the fence and lights for the tennis courts are still visible from the street. Are they keeping the courts on the roof above the motor lobby?

I thought in this thread someone talked about them adding a bowling alley or something up there. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 10:03 PM, Cookin_peacocks said:

IMG_20210908_160657.jpg

Has the AGP always been this same shape/dimensions? (yes, i think i know the answer to that)....but....i think maybe the new glass makes it noticeably deeper than it is wide when looking at it from almost any direction.  I think all these years I've thought it was more..... square??  On the parcel mapper it looks to be more L shaped than square.  It just looks thinner, like it's lost some weight, lol.  

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 6.32.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 6.43.45 AM.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grandrollerz said:

Has the AGP always been this same shape/dimensions? (yes, i think i know the answer to that)....but....i think maybe the new glass makes it noticeably deeper than it is wide when looking at it from almost any direction.  I think all these years I've thought it was more..... square??  On the parcel mapper it looks to be more L shaped than square.  It just looks thinner, like it's lost some weight, lol.  

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 6.32.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 6.43.45 AM.png

The old glass definitely made it look like it had a dad-bod going on, now that you show the comparison. :P

• Like 2

Well, while it's not much, they did add 8 feet to it.

I don't think it would make that much a difference though.

When I worked nights at the JW for a while, I remember walking out on Pearl and looking up at the massive black tower in the night sky and it just looked HUGE. but we all know it's not huge.

On 9/9/2021 at 12:01 PM, wingbert said:

Is that crane on the roof of the AGP going to come down before the snow flies?

Supposedly next month

• Like 1

The glass definitely shows off the interest angles that always existed, but did get a little lost depending on the day, light or angle. One thing I noticed recently is that they seems to be opening up the balconies that are along the lower levels on the northeast side.

We stayed at Amway Grand (a long time ago), I was super excited when we got to the room and had a river view with a balcony, but the doors were permanently shut. Don’t know if they opened them up in recent years, but I did see them working on the balconies the other day and would think that’d be an excellent amenity with a river view and balcony. 

Joe

• 3 weeks later...