Amway Grand Plaza Facelift

Allison Slater

3 hours ago, wingbert said:

That Erickson crane is the bee’s knees.

Apparently there are only a few in the world and after this, it's going to the middle east.

Or maybe my source meant the one on the top of the building?

I got these from my old boss at Amway, who is a long time lurker. 

25709.jpeg

25708.jpeg

Edited by Cookin_peacocks

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

This article says the project is complete but I swear there are more metal panels that need to go on the lower portion yet. On the West side? 

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/40m-amway-grand-plaza-hotel-renovation-complete/

That's the atrium, which I believe is technically a separate project? Maybe not?

The atrium area has been half redone recently while the old 70s and 80s style landscaping with concrete and rocks done that you used to see everywhere is still there. 

Edited by Cookin_peacocks

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2021/11/completed-40m-renovation-brings-modern-grace-to-landmark-grand-rapids-hotel.html

The article first says the hotel is 29 stories then later says its 32. On wikipedia it says 28. Does anyone know the floor count? was is modified at some point(s)?

Also height is listed at 318' which I thought it was a little more for some reason and certainly appeared to add about a floors' worth of height in the renovation, any confirmation on that?

• 2 months later...
On 11/18/2021 at 6:34 PM, GR8scott said:

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2021/11/completed-40m-renovation-brings-modern-grace-to-landmark-grand-rapids-hotel.html

The article first says the hotel is 29 stories then later says its 32. On wikipedia it says 28. Does anyone know the floor count? was is modified at some point(s)?

Also height is listed at 318' which I thought it was a little more for some reason and certainly appeared to add about a floors' worth of height in the renovation, any confirmation on that?

Late reply to this sorry.   I believe from street level there are 29 total floors.  28 inhabitable floors and one mech floor above that(28 was the lounge for Cygnus, I don't know how that works in the new restaurant).  There are 2 or 3 additional floors below grade as well which should take it to 32 total, so I'm assuming both of those numbers could be correct depending on how they were counting.  

Lastly I believe the reno added 6ft officially to the building.  It was 312' prior.

21 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Late reply to this sorry.   I believe from street level there are 29 total floors.  28 inhabitable floors and one mech floor above that(28 was the lounge for Cygnus, I don't know how that works in the new restaurant).  There are 2 or 3 additional floors below grade as well which should take it to 32 total, so I'm assuming both of those numbers could be correct depending on how they were counting.  

Lastly I believe the reno added 6ft officially to the building.  It was 312' prior.

There's only one floor below grade. Just for clarification

• 1 month later...