Amway Grand Plaza Facelift

Allison Slater

On 8/28/2018 at 8:38 AM, mpchicago said:

I bet they will need a tower crane :yahoo:

12 hours ago, civitas said:

A big one. :) 

I'm a bit skeptical that this will lead to a crane installment. They won't be lifting very heaving things and from the article and renderings, it looks like a straight retrofit job. If I were to wager, I bet we see a regular crane from the bottom and the some coming from the window replacement unit from the top down. More information here: 

https://facadexs.com/blog-replacing-windows-of-high-rise-buildings/

• 4 months later...
7 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

The Amway Grand has filed a permit for:

Temporary occupancy of public right-of-way: sidewalk, full traffic closure

Let's hope that means their big renovation is starting. 

I have a friend who is really connected with the restaurant staffing scene in town and she told me that the staff at places like Cygnus 27 have been moved to other Amway owned restaurants because they have/are about to close Cygnus for a year+, so this is definitely coming very soon. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I noticed a few panels missing at the very top the other day.  I wonder if they are already working on the mechanical area.

I'm fascinated by this. Think they'll start top to bottom, bottom to top? Can they do the work from inside the building (that seems insane to me). How will they do it from the outside (that seems insane to me). 

Probably another project that I could just sit with a sandwich and watch. :)

Joe

• Like 3

Assuming what exists is a traditional curtainwall system, all work has to be done from the outside. I'm sorry if it has been mentioned somewhere, but it's unclear if excepting the roof area if they will be reusing the existing frames and just changing the glass or completely removing and replacing the whole system. Even if it is new glass within the existing frame, that has to be installed from the outside.

In a new construction tower the curtainwall panels are placed mainly via tower crane. Some select areas such as the top of the building and where the hoist is located are often installed with smaller cranes or swing stages as the tower crane is often removed from the site before the envelope is 100% complete to save costs. When a single panel of glass needs to be replaced on an existing building they typically use the window washing system in place with a swing stage to reach the required spot. But it would be  somewhat unrealistic to do the entire building this way. I suspect they may start at the top and deconstruct enough to install a rigging system from which swing stages can be attached to several points or maybe the whole perimeter at once (this may be what you are seeing now).

10 hours ago, andrew.w said:

Assuming what exists is a traditional curtainwall system, all work has to be done from the outside. I'm sorry if it has been mentioned somewhere, but it's unclear if excepting the roof area if they will be reusing the existing frames and just changing the glass or completely removing and replacing the whole system. Even if it is new glass within the existing frame, that has to be installed from the outside.

In a new construction tower the curtainwall panels are placed mainly via tower crane. Some select areas such as the top of the building and where the hoist is located are often installed with smaller cranes or swing stages as the tower crane is often removed from the site before the envelope is 100% complete to save costs. When a single panel of glass needs to be replaced on an existing building they typically use the window washing system in place with a swing stage to reach the required spot. But it would be  somewhat unrealistic to do the entire building this way. I suspect they may start at the top and deconstruct enough to install a rigging system from which swing stages can be attached to several points or maybe the whole perimeter at once (this may be what you are seeing now).

The entire top portion above Cygnus is going to have a whole new look, apparently. So it's not just replacing glass in existing framework. 

30 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

The entire top portion above Cygnus is going to have a whole new look, apparently. So it's not just replacing glass in existing framework. 

Is that pretty much all mechanical/cosmetic? 

When I said roof, I guess I meant the entire top level(s). They could always do a hybrid solution to try to save money (though sometimes more labor intensive options like carefully removing and replacing glass within the same frame might actually cost more). Looking at the renderings again though, it's fairly apparent that this is an entirely new design with different articulation and vertical module. It looks like the glass will now go almost floor to ceiling instead of having a sill 24" off the floor. 

Actually if the install is mostly managed from the roof using swing stages and rigging, an install from the bottom up would provide better protection to the new work. A lot of curtainwall detailing also assumes the typical bottom up installation method.

Slightly off topic, but very timely given the Amway renovations.  Our resort just offered up their Stickley Brothers chairs from 1915 for sale last week.  I guess they were originally purchased for the Pantlind hotel until a major renovation in 1940, then were used at the Portage Point Resort until today.  Sounds like they are all sold out already in the off chance you were interested.

5d4a4512-aa4a-4286-8414-e931aae92b2e.jpg
S.gif

Stickley Brothers Dining Room Chairs
S.gif

Dearest PPI Friends,

We are writing to you in regards to our collection of dining room chairs produced in ca. 1915 by the Stickley Brothers Furniture Company of Grand Rapids. 

In fact, a 1915 renovation inspired the Pantlind Hotel (today known as the Amway Grand of Grand Rapids) to purchase these chairs, until they traveled to our hidden gem around 1940. These chairs have been used at the Portage Point Inn's dining room ever since by generations of vacationers.

As Portage Point Inn is beginning to obtain steady business in our dining room, we are concerned with the wear and tear on these rear antique chairs. Therefore, we have decided to sell the Stickley chairs and purchase standard commercial chairs. We are offering them at $50/piece. If you or your family are interested in acquiring a piece of history and memorabilia, please contact us at 231.889.7500 or [email protected]

Sincerely, 

Portage Point Inn Management
CustomDivider.png

61855510-c5cf-4f50-bc8e-d77f3859ae2e.jpg
adf344bc-0562-4db9-8ceb-cd7a2983222e.jpg

On March 18, trucks on Pearl Street will unload pieces of a crane that will eventually sit atop the Amway Grand Plaza and lift glass panes and other equipment into place during the two-year construction process.

A small crane will assemble these pieces. Then, a larger crane will be brought in to lift the assembled crane on top of the hotel, Donnelly said.

Yo, I heard you like cranes...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1