Amway Grand Plaza Facelift

Allison Slater

One thought I had this weekend: I always wondered why from inside Cygnus you couldn't look toward downtown, only toward the river. Even from the private areas upstairs. Maybe with this renovation they're going to open up the views to the East? Isn't Cygnus going through a remodel, and that the roof section was going to get taller? 

• 2 months later...

13 hours ago, Jimmy said:

More than 60 days and nothing has changed? Do the kids have different ideas on how to spend the patriarch’s money???

I did notice that several panels in the angled rooftop have been removed. Maybe they're working on internal modifications before they start stripping all the glass off. I assume it's a challenging job to protect from the elements (unlike new construction). Probably like when they re-skinned Plaza Towers way back. 

14 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I did notice that several panels in the angled rooftop have been removed. Maybe they're working on internal modifications before they start stripping all the glass off. I assume it's a challenging job to protect from the elements (unlike new construction). Probably like when they re-skinned Plaza Towers way back. 

Yes, I would think this is very challenging since they will keep the hotel open.  Plaza Towers, from what I recall was vacated during the reskin.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jthrasher said:

seems  like this project hasn't made much progress.  Are there issues they are dealing with? 

Haven’t heard about issues, but I know they were doing some pretty extensive work in the inside upper floors as well.  Could just be we can’t see what’s being done yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jthrasher said:

seems  like this project hasn't made much progress.  Are there issues they are dealing with? 

I will try to get a pic in few days, but you can now clearly tell that they are adding a floor to the top. There’s an entire steel frame erected and it looks like another story.  I also remember reading a while back that it would be slightly taller when the project was done, so my guess is the reason it seem like not much is been happening is because it’s just work on this extra floor… 

• Like 1

I wouldn't call it an extra floor...

It's not immediately noticeable but there is a clear structure matching the current roof about a couple feet raised from the current roof. I'm guessing this will be the new roof, they'll finish this roof for waterproofing and then remove the old roof. All while extensive interior work is done.

58 minutes ago, tSlater said:

I wouldn't call it an extra floor...

It's not immediately noticeable but there is a clear structure matching the current roof about a couple feet raised from the current roof. I'm guessing this will be the new roof, they'll finish this roof for waterproofing and then remove the old roof. All while extensive interior work is done.

I feel like what might look like a couple feet from the ground is more space than we think. I’m so curious as to what they’re doing. 

84B83C1B-48F8-4577-B783-0911460F3C31.jpeg

95E1BD0D-0C35-49A1-9068-6780A15B11CD.jpeg

286485CC-6022-41D8-9A7C-B4B76BB87423.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't tell if they are hoisting these big HVAC units just onto the roof of that middle portion between the Exhibtors Building and the Pantlind, or if they are heading to a higher point. 

48464326671_c06b677003_z.jpg

It also appears that they might be in the beginning stages of exterior work?

48464326976_5142db2a20_z.jpg

• Like 4

I've noticed workers on the Monroe side (Pantlind building) of the Amway Grand. Passing by today, it looks like they are building a large patio / indoor space(?) on both sides of the main entrance (second floor) that would be accessible from the mezzanine of the old lobby. It looks pretty cool. Anyone have any details? 

804D2218-0256-4EF8-9B39-4C7404AFA085.JPG

ag2.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...