Rock Creek Commons West Little Rock

I was passing by the Kroger on Chenal and noticed the big lot next to it that has been for lease forever had signs up advertising Rock Creek Commons West Little Rock. Looks like it will be rather large and made up of Retail, Restaurant and Office and More... I Googled it looking to see if there was anything out there about it. I found this page from June 2017 that list it but the drawing of the project looks different than the one on the billboards on the lot itself so I am guessing the website has the old site plans still listed. Anyone hear anything about this? not sure if we really need more retail / office space out here (not to mention the loss of more trees). 

Website Link: https://whisinvestrealty.com/properties/central-arkansas/rock-creek-commons/

Pic of billboard on the lot itself. 

image.png.5c17bf48b1eea49eea7a01cb0c27b74d.png 

-R

I was not sure if it had been mentioned anywhere else on here (never even heard of it anywhere before) so I created a new topic since it does seem like a rather larger development and not just a small strip mall :P. Oh yeah, plenty of examples of finished product not being anything like the design... (Shackleford Crossing is a primeeeee example).

-R

Edited by SangreRaVen

2 hours ago, SangreRaVen said:

Just thought of something, is this perhaps where the Aloft it going? wasn't there one mentioned to be going in out here or was that something else?

-R

No, the Aloft is going on the north end of Chenal Promenade, across Rahling Road next door to the (current) Bank OZK headquarters.  If I understand your description, this development is going in farther east next to the Chenal Kroger, correct?

On 8/28/2018 at 1:20 PM, SangreRaVen said:

I was passing by the Kroger on Chenal and noticed the big lot next to it that has been for lease forever had signs up advertising Rock Creek Commons West Little Rock. Looks like it will be rather large and made up of Retail, Restaurant and Office and More... I Googled it looking to see if there was anything out there about it. I found this page from June 2017 that list it but the drawing of the project looks different than the one on the billboards on the lot itself so I am guessing the website has the old site plans still listed. Anyone hear anything about this? not sure if we really need more retail / office space out here (not to mention the loss of more trees). 

Website Link: https://whisinvestrealty.com/properties/central-arkansas/rock-creek-commons/

Pic of billboard on the lot itself. 

image.png.5c17bf48b1eea49eea7a01cb0c27b74d.png 

-R

Sounds like a wonderful development, however, I much rather see it in a more  dense part of town such as the former Sears site on University than in a rural part of the city.

It would be great if this was built as rendered, was a huge success, and showed people that LR is ripe for these types of developments. Chenal and mid-town both could improve livability and become much more desirable over the next decade for outsiders if developers would hop on this train. 

• 4 months later...

I wonder when they will start building stuff at this site, have not see any activity in a few months.. I am sure it takes time to get things planned out but the website has not been updated in a while and I have not see anything posted in the news anywhere about it 

-R

Edited by SangreRaVen

• 3 months later...

If it wasn't for the person selling stuff out of the back of their van lately on this lot, there wouldn't be any activity at all. I wonder if they have ran into issues with this planned development, have not been able to find anything new lately and of course the website is still way out of date. 

-R

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
21 minutes ago, SangreRaVen said:

So with Costco now official as an anchor for this development. I wonder what else will land here :tw_grin:

-R

You don’t think the Costco will take up the whole plot of land? They take up quite a bit of space.

On 8/29/2018 at 3:48 PM, ecity3138 said:

Sounds like a wonderful development, however, I much rather see it in a more  dense part of town such as the former Sears site on University than in a rural part of the city.

I totally, totally agree...but...they're going where the most high dollar rooftops are these days...lots of money in Heights, Hillcrest and midtown, but still.

Also, the site plan is just underwhelming.  Not surprising, but nothing like the initial renderings.  At least they're putting the big box at the back, but I suspect the front outparcel will be parking/car-centric as well, just like the Kroger development next door.

12 hours ago, Architect said:

I totally, totally agree...but...they're going where the most high dollar rooftops are these days...lots of money in Heights, Hillcrest and midtown, but still.

Also, the site plan is just underwhelming.  Not surprising, but nothing like the initial renderings.  At least they're putting the big box at the back, but I suspect the front outparcel will be parking/car-centric as well, just like the Kroger development next door.

I disagree that the site plan is underwhelming.  I'm glad it's planned for the big box store to be hidden behind buildings on the outparcels.  The problem is what would want to build on those outparcels.   Retail?  Not likely.  See, The Promenade.   So, the plans look good but in all likelihood there will be acres of parking lot around the Costco.  And that, is underwhelming.  

40 minutes ago, Arkanzin said:

I disagree that the site plan is underwhelming.  I'm glad it's planned for the big box store to be hidden behind buildings on the outparcels.  The problem is what would want to build on those outparcels.   Retail?  Not likely.  See, The Promenade.   So, the plans look good but in all likelihood there will be acres of parking lot around the Costco.  And that, is underwhelming.  

I too am glad the big box is at the back, but it's underwhelming because that's typical (just like Kroger next door), and it CERTAINLY isn't what was envisioned based upon their initial conceptual plan and renderings (which are still on their website).  It showed higher density, mixed-use development with housing/structured parking surrounded by presumed commercial/retail.

Posting up the image of the site plan. looks like the fueling station will be right across from Shell on the corner. Then there is room for 6 out parcels, so that could be any number of developments but again with so much empty retail and restaurant space in the area. I am not really too sure what they could land here, hopefully it will have a positive impact on the other local developments. 

image.thumb.png.30aeee6f97836a5976010ca86490604d.png

-R

Edited by SangreRaVen
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Architect said:

I too am glad the big box is at the back, but it's underwhelming because that's typical (just like Kroger next door), and it CERTAINLY isn't what was envisioned based upon their initial conceptual plan and renderings (which are still on their website).  It showed higher density, mixed-use development with housing/structured parking surrounded by presumed commercial/retail.

Oh, I agree that it is nothing like the conceptual plan that's been gathering dust for...how long now?  That pipe dream was never likely to materialize.