Union West at CV| Creative Village | 15 Stories

IAmFloridaBorn

From an aesthetic stand point, it doesn't 'WOW' but it fits into what Creative Village was always envisioned to be.
I love the Mixed use functionality of the building.

Whats interesting is that there could be another 600 + bed tower built later on depending on the success of this.
Doesn't say where or when but it's nice to know they are keeping that option available.

As I get my weekly photos I will post them here to keep up with the details of this project instead of the overall Creative Village thread.

• Like 2

https://www.archdaily.com/category/dorms

As the litmus test for the multiple buildings to come in a place that called "creative" village, this is not giving much confident to the architecture quality.

I know this has to do with the budget constraint, but the design could be more interesting especially we were promised a Pioneer Square.

Was the design bad? No. Was it creative? No. Just typical Orlando mid rise whether you like to admit it or not.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, sunshine said:

https://www.archdaily.com/category/dorms

As the litmus test for the multiple buildings to come in a place that called "creative" village, this is not giving much confident to the architecture quality.

I know this has to do with the budget constraint, but the design could be more interesting especially we were promised a Pioneer Square.

Was the design bad? No. Was it creative? No. Just typical Orlando mid rise whether you like to admit it or not.

I agree to an extent, but OTOH, the problem with creative or "interesting" architecture, is that as often as not, what was meant to be interesting just turns out to be ugly. 

I checked out the link you posted and speaking strictly for myself, I thought most of the dorm buildings pictured there, fit that description.

I suppose I have fairly traditional tastes in such things, though.

Here’s a real creative looking dorm. If you don’t notice, the buildings are actually on stilts.

https://newstudenthousing.studentaffairs.miami.edu/student-housing-village/index.html

aerial-view-940x529.jpg

Now I didn’t expect this at Creative Village (the density is off), but I did expect something more than standard architecture. I have the same opinion on the main academic commons building. Although it is a bit better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

Here’s a real creative looking dorm. If you don’t notice, the buildings are actually on stilts.

https://newstudenthousing.studentaffairs.miami.edu/student-housing-village/index.html

aerial-view-940x529.jpg

Now I didn’t expect this at Creative Village (the density is off), but I did expect something more than standard architecture. I have the same opinion on the main academic commons building. Although it is a bit better.

Yeah, I think that I opined something similar back in the original CV thread around the beginning prior to any building designs having been finalized, but after some underwhelming renderings had been released. I was complaining about how it sucked that we were shown those cool, ultramodern looking high rises in the concept renderings but then we're getting the same old boring run-of-the-mill crap we see everywhere else.

And though I agree it's a little short on the "wow" factor, I was kinda relieved when I saw the final renderings for the student housing building, because they at least departed a bit from the truly boring midrise crap like we got at Crescent Central, Lexington Court, Camden Orange Court, etc, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Yeah, I think that I opined something similar back in the original CV thread around the beginning prior to any building designs having been finalized, but after some underwhelming renderings had been released. I was complaining about how it sucked that we were shown those cool, ultramodern looking high rises in the concept renderings but then we're getting the same old boring run-of-the-mill crap we see everywhere else.

And though I agree it's a little short on the "wow" factor, I was kinda relieved when I saw the final renderings for the student housing building, because they at least departed a bit from the truly boring midrise crap like we got at Crescent Central, Lexington Court, Camden Orange Court, etc, etc.

I agree that it is ever so slightly above the average, but still...

On the other hand, the stained glass on the Prism development next door is pretty interesting.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:22 PM, Pieson said:

Pictures from the rooftop of a certain brewery I may or may not be involved with down the street ;)

9739672F-5CF4-4865-8153-11FC8BE9C36C.jpeg

LOL.  you mean near the Marriott.  I couldn't make the angle of your photo until you tipped me off.

You know what's really interesting here is that UCF has the main campus and of course it's satellites in Volusia and Brevard, etc.  But, having their programs in Lake Nona and now downtown is huge for them, I think.  I really alters the dynamics of the school.    UF is in Lake Nona too, which is good for it, but UCF is going to have a campus in downtown Orlando which is very cool.

• Like 1

My favorite is still USF-St. Pete, right there on the bay. Over time, that's gonna be a huge asset for them (not to mention their liberal arts enclave, New College, in Sarasota and the med school in downtown Trampa.) The rivalry is just going to be more and more amazing every year.

BTW, USF pres Judy Genshaft, who did her darndest to keep UCF out of the Big East and any other conference USF got in, today announced her retirement.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, jrs2 said:

LOL.  you mean near the Marriott.  I couldn't make the angle of your photo until you tipped me off.

You know what's really interesting here is that UCF has the main campus and of course it's satellites in Volusia and Brevard, etc.  But, having their programs in Lake Nona and now downtown is huge for them, I think.  I really alters the dynamics of the school.    UF is in Lake Nona too, which is good for it, but UCF is going to have a campus in downtown Orlando which is very cool.

How is UCF being in Lake Nona good? I dont understand how Lake Nona is better than being in downtown

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn