Union West at CV| Creative Village | 15 Stories

IAmFloridaBorn

11 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

How is UCF being in Lake Nona good? I dont understand how Lake Nona is better than being in downtown

Medical City was/is an upcoming nationally known enclave of medical industry related institutions/ offices, previously anchored by Sanford Burnham, but also home to The VA, Nemours, UF, that other thinktank building, and UCF's new med school, etc., and future projects.  

I mean, I said once before that it would have been great if all of those institutions were downtown west of I-4 as they would've completely transformed that entire quadrant most of the way out to OBT.  But, those entities wouldn't come to Orlando unless it was in a campus styled development near OIA as it is now.  So, with the advent of such a development, wouldn't you agree that UCF having a presence there was a good thing?  UF for example, didn't snooze on this and jumped at the opportunity to put a building there.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:48 PM, spenser1058 said:

My favorite is still USF-St. Pete, right there on the bay. Over time, that's gonna be a huge asset for them (not to mention their liberal arts enclave, New College, in Sarasota and the med school in downtown Trampa.) The rivalry is just going to be more and more amazing every year.

BTW, USF pres Judy Genshaft, who did her darndest to keep UCF out of the Big East and any other conference USF got in, today announced her retirement.

that lady was E-VIL!

Trampa!  I love it!  I will credit you every time I use that from now on.  And yes I can confirm that after driving through downtown within the first 30 seconds, it is indeed, Trampa...and I wasn't even anywhere near Dale Mabry.  Ah, ya gotta love it!

Edited by jrs2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There are some really cool places in Tampa. I lived there off and on during my political days (in Hyde Park, Bayshore and Seminole Heights.) I also partied a lot over there during college (I've always been a morning person and the Tampa happy hours were much more my thing than late-night clubbing which is pretty much all Orlando offered for gay nightlife at the time.)

Anyway, I got to know lots of folks and we got very competitive. I envy Tampa for keeping its legacy mall (West Shore) while we leveled Colonial Plaza and WP Mall.I loved Jimbo's BBQ on Kennedy and crossing the bay for grouper sammiches at Frenchy's and smoked mullet at Ted Peters'.

Nevertheless, Tampa always felt like an unmade bed to me and Orlando's core neighborhoods seemed more cohesive and walkable. So, here I am (I also want my beach to have waves, darn it, not to mention surfers!) I still have great friends who prefer Tampa and we still one-up each other but they're both great places.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

I wish they would re-do the Angelbilt letters above the building a la the Cameo theater on 50

I wish that they'd do something about that out of whack window on the top floor facing east...

angebiltwindow.jpg

Been driving me OCD crazy for decades.

Why can't we ever have anything nice around here????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found some new (to me) information on the developing partner's site - four cameras and floorplans for the rooms. Some will be truly dorm-style with double occupancy rooms and no living room/kitchen. 

Cameras: https://app.oxblue.com/open/UCF/DowntownCampus
Rooms: https://3dplans.com/apps/hosting/development_ventures_group/union_west/

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exclusive: First retail tenants revealed at $1.5B Creative Village

Four retailers — Dunkin' Brands Group Inc. (Nasdaq: DNKN), Qdoba Mexican Eats, Subway and CFE Federal Credit Union — have signed leases for space on the ground floor of the $105 million UnionWest at Creative Village student housing tower.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/01/25/exclusive-first-retail-tenants-revealed-at-1-5b.html?iana=hpmvp_orl_news_headline

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Hmmm, we’re soon gonna have more Dunkins downtown than 7-Elevens. Sacrilege!

The Downtown Dunkins seem to be geared more towards the professionals working downtown considering their locations, I honestly always forget they're even there, there needs to be a Dunkin' in South Eola where all the residents live!

• Like 1