Union West at CV| Creative Village | 15 Stories

IAmFloridaBorn

Dunkin franchises out and typically want a franchisee to open a certain number of locations within a specific area, hence why there is expansion downtown. I wouldn’t be surprised if the franchisee is the same for all the downtown locations. Nevertheless, it’s encouraging to see interest in retail in CV.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I think you’re right but it’s odd how we always seem to get things in waves instead of a selection. Like just one Dunkin downtown and a Moe’s would be nice and maybe a fish and chips shop.

I was just thinking about the lack of good fish and chip shops (aka "chippys") in Orlando, given the number of Brit tourists and residents the area entertains.  If I had the capital, I'd buy franchise rights for Poppies (http://poppiesfishandchips.co.uk/) and put them all over Florida.   They'd do bang-up business. But a Dunkin' Donuts and a Subway? Not quite what Craig Ulster was promoting in the early days of the project (what? no food hall?)

Edited by jliv
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, jliv said:

I was just thinking about the lack of good fish and chip shops (aka "chippys") in Orlando, given the number of Brit tourists and residents the area entertains.  If I had the capital, I'd buy franchise rights for Poppies (http://poppiesfishandchips.co.uk/) and put them all over Florida.   They'd do bang-up business.

I was taken to a good fish and chips pub in Toronto called Olde York Fish and Chips (with cod, haddock, halibut options). Great establishment. When I came back to Orlando, I was having a craving and my google search came up pretty empty... The only local fish and chips I could find was at ACE Cafe; the reviews were meh and they only offer haddock. I'll give it a try one day, but I doubt I'll be wowed.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

I was taken to a good fish and chips pub in Toronto called Olde York Fish and Chips (with cod, haddock, halibut options). Great establishment. When I came back to Orlando, I was having a craving and my google search came up pretty empty... The only local fish and chips I could find was at ACE Cafe; the reviews were meh and they only offer haddock. I'll give it a try one day, but I doubt I'll be wowed.

Heck, I’m not even picky. During my time in Nashville, I ate country style fish (breaded in corn meal) at Captain D’s just about every day.

It’s still odd to me how many pseudo-Floridians won’t eat seafood. I was raised on it. *looks for his Zebco rod and reel from when he was a kid*

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jliv said:

I was just thinking about the lack of good fish and chip shops (aka "chippys") in Orlando, given the number of Brit tourists and residents the area entertains.  If I had the capital, I'd buy franchise rights for Poppies (http://poppiesfishandchips.co.uk/) and put them all over Florida.   They'd do bang-up business. But a Dunkin' Donuts and a Subway? Not quite what Craig Ulster was promoting in the early days of the project (what? no food hall?)

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

You'd think with Port Canaveral just a quick 45 minute zip across the Bee Line (I refuse to call it the Beach Line) away, good seafood and fish & chips would be a no-brainer. 

That having been said, I guess Captain D's isn't that bad of a substitute.

• Like 1

Those are some basic retails...does it even need a news article to announce it?

We dont need nail salon, doctor, dentist....we need chain Darden restaurants, Apple store, more starbucks, clothing store, urban target, Amazon store there....somebody needs to get those UCF students mommy and daddy money.... Millenials want cool factor stores not Subway and Dunkin donuts...

ISnt UCF also the number 1 sugar daddy school in the nation?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sunshine said:

We dont need nail salon, doctor, dentist....we need chain Darden restaurants, Apple store, more starbucks, clothing store, urban target, Amazon store there....somebody needs to get those UCF students mommy and daddy money.... Millenials want cool factor stores not Subway and Dunkin donuts...

Sugar baby.  :tw_smirk:

Sugar daddy are the dudes paying.  Sugar baby is the girls getting paid IIRC.

22 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

20190207_155632_HDR.jpg

20190207_155639_HDR.jpg

Does anyone else worry about the durability of these wood frame buildings popping up all over downtown? From what I understand, EIFS or basically any kind of sheathing over wood frame will always fail due to water intrusion (especially in FL) and result in wood rot. What are the life expediencies for wood apartments and why are they being allowed in urban areas? Maybe I'm being dramatic, but I worry that in the next 30-40 years we're going to have all of these wood framed buildings fall into disrepair = blight.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

Does anyone else worry about the durability of these wood frame buildings popping up all over downtown? From what I understand, EIFS or basically any kind of sheathing over wood frame will always fail due to water intrusion (especially in FL) and result in wood rot. What are the life expediencies for wood apartments and why are they being allowed in urban areas? Maybe I'm being dramatic, but I worry that in the next 30-40 years we're going to have all of these wood framed buildings fall into disrepair = blight.

Didn't this recently happen to an apartment building in Metrowest?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I agree. It's concerning. We will pay for it in about 20- 30 years. 

38 minutes ago, mraurora said:

This happens all over Central Florida unfortunately. Developers get away with it. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mraurora said:

I wasn't aware of it, but yes this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Metrowest condos rack up $3.5M in fines for construction defects

There's another condo in our downtown core that appears to be going through undiagnosed water damage. I don't want to publicy name names, but regardless it seems like all wood framed structures with exterior sheathing/EIFS are bound to fail IMO. And when that time comes, are these apt/condo complexes really going to be able to pony up the money to make repairs?? I doubt it.

19 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I agree. It's concerning. We will pay for it in about 20- 30 years. 

This happens all over Central Florida unfortunately. Developers get away with it. 

Not sure if you noticed, but you can see damage to the sheathing (painted in blue) in both of the pics I quoted.  :tw_weary: (This might not be the best example since the building's frame appears to be concrete. It's the all wood frame buildings that I'm really concerned about.)

Pic 1: damage below the large window on both left and right sides

Pic 2: damage/shoddy work above the row of windows on the podium

Edited by nite owℓ

On 1/26/2019 at 12:49 PM, sunshine said:

I dunno about when you went to college, but I ate at Subway probably once a week if not more.  We had a local donut shop, so no Dunkin, but same difference.  I can't remember ever going to a chain Darden type.  Maybe once a year for bottomless pasta?  Applebees for late night happy hour occasionally.  Basically wherever the special was.  Place called Mad Mex had all you could eat burritos for like $6 bucks on Mondays.  That was awesome.

Hmmm, when I was at UCF after rowing practice every morning it was either the breakfast special at the old Town House in beautiful downtown Oviedo or a spicy sausage at Circle K. 

My car was a used Chevy Celebrity and I paid for it and breakfast with the tips I made at Darryl’s.

There were some really rich guys in my fraternity but most were like me.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:07 PM, nite owℓ said:

you don't mean Union West, right?  those are the photos you featured in your post.

8 hours ago, codypet said:

I had a 18 y/o Plymouth Voyager and I ate like crazy at the two Burger Kings near campus and the one on campus as soon as that terrible Wendy's closed (Back when Burger King's food was edible).  I too had no money.  Sidenote that Voyager is now 35 years old.

Haha, I went to BK for the first time in like at least 5 years a few months ago and I couldn't even believe how bad it was. And I'm the type that loves fast food, love Taco Bell, McD, Wendys, etc lol

Edited by aent
  • Like 1

The reasons for all of our stick-built "stumpies": https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-02-13/why-america-s-new-apartment-buildings-all-look-the-same

Blame the UBC and unregulated capitalism.  (The only way it will change is if they amend the building code restricting these).  

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2