Harbor Heights Progress

vdogg

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forget where, but piles are supposed to start before the end of June, so demolition must be just about over.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, I've started to wonder what may be holding up the process here. Is HH located in a historical area? Perhaps they found some artifacts when the started to dig

and thats whats keeping them from driving piles, etc. Of course it's probably something completely different, just a random thought.

I have seen some piles driven and I think they are still grading the lot and disposing of the trash to clear it out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:huh: I haven't seen a pile driver there in weeks. The first piles driven were the test piles, but I don't think they've done much beyond that.

:huh: I haven't seen a pile driver there in weeks. The first piles driven were the test piles, but I don't think they've done much beyond that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've seen the lot being graded but I will take some photos tomorrow and give you an update. I'll also try to peek into Baxters and see what they have done to. I hope they give the building a facelift and I wonder if they are going to use the entire building or have some sort of lofts or condos there.

Me and the family are going DT tomorrow and walk around for a stroll

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kinda off topic, but what does your wife and family think of your obsession with economic development and this forum? My parents don't know too much, but I think they notice that I take pics of skyscrapers more than I do of them, LOL.

Kinda off topic, but what does your wife and family think of your obsession with economic development and this forum? My parents don't know too much, but I think they notice that I take pics of skyscrapers more than I do of them, LOL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It doesn't bother her. She is a stay at home mom so when I go out I take the kids or all of us and she likes getting out of the house so in a way she enjoys this sort of hobby as a excuse for us to get out together. Also I think she would rather me be in this type of hobby than being my old self and going out drinking and getting into trouble. I'm around 6'5" and 350 so people like to test me when I'm out with shoulder checks and such and it really pisses me off. I was into NHB fighting when I was about 23 to 25 then my wife got me out of it.

Well HH, like the Hilton has several components that may hold up the process a little. Robinson Development, TCC, and Farm fresh all have to be on the same sheet of music for the process to run smoothly. I'm pretty sure that building a roughly 500,000 sq. ft. building with condos, offices, parking garage, and a grocery store will take some time planning. But unlike the Hilton, construction had started then it stopped and has been stopped for a while now. Not sure of what the problem could be. Though, I really have no concern with this project not happening and once construction starts again it will probably go at a feverish pace.

Usually there is a big lull in the time test piles are driven and actuall construction starting. Most times the building is not even finished being designed until after the test piles are driven. This is very normal. They are probably refining their design.

Usually there is a big lull in the time test piles are driven and actuall construction starting.  Most times the building is not even finished being designed until after the test piles are driven.  This is very normal.  They are probably refining their design.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm...New renderings coming out possibly? :whistling:

Pretty much right on!  :thumbsup:

Also though, for stuff to do downtown. Other than Mcaurther(sp?), Main st., and Granby, theres nothing much more other than parking lots, residential, and a few hit and miss shops.  And Main st. is dead town when its not 9-5.

Dont get me wrong, i love living in Norfolk(Ghent), thats why i live there and not in Va beach somewhere :sick: .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually very few US cities use more than one or two streets downtown. What would really help Nofolk break this mold they are in would be the area just south of the Scope, just west of St Paul. There is several parking lots, a church, and old homes. If they turned that into a mix use project of smaller and mid sized buildings. By doing that, it would give downtown another core to work with and expand off of.

Actually very few US cities use more than one or two streets downtown.  What would really help Nofolk break this mold they are in would be the area just south of the Scope, just west of St Paul.  There is several parking lots, a church, and old homes.  If they turned that into a mix use project of smaller and mid sized buildings.  By doing that, it would give downtown another core to work with and expand off of.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a matter of fact, there seems to be a mixed use development brewing in that general vicinity. No details yet but I did post a link in the Norfolk development thread. If I find it i'll repost it here.

Wassup guys, I drove through downtown today and I realize that the Harbor Heights site has sat the same since the end of June. Does anyone know what's going on? Could anyone find out? If there is one thing different that I noticed today than the last few weeks, it is that I saw ONE construction worker on-site but what he was there for is unknown to me. Can someone find out what's up with this building?

Wassup guys, I drove through downtown today and I realize that the Harbor Heights site has sat the same since the end of June. Does anyone know what's going on? Could anyone find out? If there is one thing different that I noticed today than the last few weeks, it is that I saw ONE construction worker on-site but what he was there for is unknown to me. Can someone find out what's up with this building?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: Funny you should mention that because we were just talking about this. Here is the first post

of the conversation about 2 pages back in the thread. Beyond anything else mentioned I have no clue. I am gonna endeavor to find out though because it has sat dormant for quite some time.

:lol: Funny you should mention that because we were just talking about this. Here is the first post

of the conversation about 2 pages back in the thread. Beyond anything else mentioned I have no clue. I am gonna endeavor to find out though because it has sat dormant for quite some time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really see this as quite a shame... I really hope they get cracking because design-wise I really love this project. Not just for size and function but also the design of the building. It'll add a lot of weight (and residents) to the downtown skyline. In a way it reminds me of the newer residential buildings in a European city, only (obviously) Americanized. I hope it picks up soon!

I really see this as quite a shame... I really hope they get cracking because design-wise I really love this project.  Not just for size and function but also the design of the building.  It'll add a lot of weight (and residents) to the downtown skyline.  In a way it reminds me of the newer residential buildings in a European city, only (obviously) Americanized.  I hope it picks up soon!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Honestly, I fully expected them to have tower cranes up by now because they started construction at the same time as Trader. That being said Trader has been going along at a blistering pace. HH is almost sold out and I know all those future residents must be anxious for them to get on with the show already :whistling: .

Honestly, I fully expected them to have tower cranes up by now because they started construction at the same time as Trader. That being said Trader has been going along at a blistering pace. HH is almost sold out and I know all those future residents must be anxious for them to get on with the show already  :whistling: .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it's almost sold out maybe they're adding a few units.... like... 50 more lol. If only. I hope they begin to catch up soon.

Honestly, I fully expected them to have tower cranes up by now because they started construction at the same time as Trader. That being said Trader has been going along at a blistering pace. HH is almost sold out and I know all those future residents must be anxious for them to get on with the show already

Just to make things a little clear, construction for HH started 1 month later than Trader and 2 or 3 weeks after test piles were driven, they began digging up the place and demolishing buildings. It almost seemed liked they were trying to catch up to Trader. Now the site went from "Trader construction crazy" to "abandoned lot sleepy"

Yea Vdogg I hope you find out what's going on soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even at one month later they have still made ridiculously little progress. The demolition is complete but shouldn't they be well into driving piles now? They have to drive a lot of them, I believe the total is 1200 which is 3-400 more than Trader. One would think they would have 2 pile drivers going full time by now.

Even at one month later they have still made ridiculously little progress. The demolition is complete but shouldn't they be well into driving piles now? They have to drive a lot of them, I believe the total is 1200 which is 3-400 more than Trader. One would think they would have 2 pile drivers going full time by now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In terms of square footage, isn't HH muuuch larger, despite being shorter? Meh, construction will still be a little bit of a wait regardless :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They better have 3 pile-drivers on-site if they intend to finish building by the end of next year! I wonder if this has to do with the contractor too. Isn't S.B. Ballard also involved with the Trader construction too? I know someone is involved in both projects but I can't remember who. Maybe they are caught up with the Trader Tower and put HH tower on the backburner till maybe both Trader Tower cranes are up?

They better have 3 pile-drivers on-site if they intend to finish building by the end of next year! I wonder if this has to do with the contractor too. Isn't S.B. Ballard also involved with the Trader construction too? I know someone is involved in both projects but I can't remember who. Maybe they are caught up with the Trader Tower and put HH tower on the backburner till maybe both Trader Tower cranes are up?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm... I didn't think about that but you could be right if it is indeed the same company. PeninsulaKiddo-At 400,000 sq ft this thing is roughly the size of Dominion Tower in square footage. In fact they'll probably still be driving piles for this by the time Granby Tower breaks ground if they don't start in fairly short order.

Archived