Harbor Heights Progress

vdogg

Hmm... I didn't think about that but you could be right if it is indeed the same company. PeninsulaKiddo-At 400,000 sq ft this thing is roughly the size of Dominion Tower in square footage. In fact they'll probably still be driving piles for this by the time Granby Tower breaks ground if they don't start in fairly short order.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually its almost 500,000 sq ft., and it was dubbed as the largest in sq footage in the area. They still have a huge pile of dirt and debris in the lot it was almost 2 stories high

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even at one month later they have still made ridiculously little progress. The demolition is complete but shouldn't they be well into driving piles now? They have to drive a lot of them, I believe the total is 1200 which is 3-400 more than Trader. One would think they would have 2 pile drivers going full time by now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey vdogg do you remember where you heard how many piles Harbor Heights needs? I remember reading that it was about 800 or so, but I remember when I read that it didn't make much sense seeing as it is so much larger than Trader.

Hey vdogg do you remember where you heard how many piles Harbor Heights needs? I remember reading that it was about 800 or so, but I remember when I read that it didn't make much sense seeing as it is so much larger than Trader.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's posted somewhere on this site in one of the articles I think. I just remember reading it.

I really hope that it makes itself to the 20 story range and breaks the 300 foot mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A building of this girth and that height would make quite an impact on the skyline. I don't know if they'd let it go that big, or they might start scaling it down in width as it went upwards...

It really doesn't have that far to break that size. I just hope it does and I don't think they would have to scale it back because of going higher.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree---less than 40 feet! :D If it went considerably taller, by more than 10 floors (unlikely, but I wouldn't mind) I think they'd do a design similar to the Ritz Carlton (I think that's the hotel chain?) at Battery Park in NYC. It has a stout, wide base (17 story) with a 30ish story tower on top. Of course our version would be MUCH shorter, but I think the design (incorporating HH's architectural details) would be a veryyy nice addition to our skyline.

I have found this interesting tidbit in the downtown norfolk june newsletter.

"Pile driving will commence on the Harbor Heights project before the end of June. While on-street parking has been limited in this area, every effort is being made to maintain valet parking for the surrounding restaurants."

Umm...Think we're a little behind? :huh::blink:

Ok, I stand corrected. "How about the last pile driven at the new Harbor Heights development? Almost 800 will be driven at that location." I swear I heard 1200 somewhere, but until I find that source we'll have to settle on 800. Doesn't seem right with a 476,000 sq ft building. :huh:

Ok, I stand corrected. "How about the last pile driven at the new Harbor Heights development? Almost 800 will be driven at that location." I swear I heard 1200 somewhere, but until I find that source we'll have to settle on 800. Doesn't seem right with a 476,000 sq ft building. :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah it doesn't seem right does it? Hmm...maybe there's more to driving piles than we know.

Yeah it doesn't seem right does it? Hmm...maybe there's more to driving piles than we know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A while back there was a .pdf file stored on norfolk.govs site entitled "Tazwell Lots" (Harbor Heights original name). It was much like the pdf's you see on Vbgov's website in that it gives specific construction details. I believe that is where I got the 1200 from but since it appears it has been taken down I cannot confirm this.

A while back there was a .pdf file stored on norfolk.govs site entitled "Tazwell Lots" (Harbor Heights original name). It was much like the pdf's you see on Vbgov's website in that it gives specific construction details. I believe that is where I got the 1200 from but since it appears it has been taken down I cannot confirm this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Norfolk Heights was also another name if that helps you any. Whether it is an alternative to Harbor Heights or just a former name, I am not sure. My friend from planning called it that one time. I am awaiting an email from him about what is happening at the site.

Norfolk Heights was also another name if that helps you any. Whether it is an alternative to Harbor Heights or just a former name, I am not sure. My friend from planning called it that one time. I am awaiting an email from him about what is happening at the site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool did you ask him what the height is now and if there is a chance for increasing it?

Cool did you ask him what the height is now and if there is a chance for increasing it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No I didn't ask him about the height. When I asked him last I got conflicting numbers. First, I asked him if it had been increased to 17 stories. He said it did, and he said they also added a floor of parking. So that sounds like 18 to me. But then the next day he told me that he had a colleague that "counted the proposed number of floors at 15." So I am a little confused and didn't feel like asking him again, haha. I will ask later though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This building is not as tall as say trader. It is more spread out. Without seeing the design I couldn't tell you for sure, but shorter generally will mean less piles.

Actually its almost 500,000 sq ft., and it was dubbed as the largest in sq footage in the area. They still have a huge pile of dirt and debris in the lot it was almost 2 stories high

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually it was dubbed as ONE of the largest buildings in the area in terms of sq footage, not THE largest building in the area in terms of sq footage

Archived