Harbor Heights Progress

vdogg

But...about a block down and on the northern end on the far side of the parking garage, they started erecting some steel today(as of 8:00am). i saw it this morning on my way to work.

does anybody know whats going there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah. Thats the condo portion of the 388 Boush project. The condos are to be wrapped around the garage. Check the projects listing for more details.

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. Thats the condo portion of the 388 Boush project. The condos are to be wrapped around the garage. Check the projects listing for more details.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i knew that there were condos going there. But the condos on Boush st. didn't have any steel. maybe they are at the "next phase".

who knows? :rolleyes:

These Condos are the ones they are talking about. The garage is the first phase, and the condos wrap around the garage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I knew about those condos but the way he is talking its another project and I was trying to envision what he is talking about. If this is the place the steel is being errected at.

I knew about those condos but the way he is talking its another project and I was trying to envision what he is talking about. If this is the place the steel is being errected at.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes this is the place. The building will be steel interior with a brick/concrete exterior.

Yes this is the place. The building will be steel interior with a brick/concrete exterior.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was trying to figure out if he was talking about 388 Boush St. because he was saying the other condos didn't have steel and I was wondering if he thought the garage was condos.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone else fear that 388 Bousch is going to be a total let down based on his Heritage apartments across the street? Those look like any major university's student apartment complexes...They are so sterile and bland. It seems like the rendering for these will be more attractive, but still the same design for a whole block with no seperations in design. I appreciate the Bristol Development project in Ghent for this reason. They have made the project look like multiple buildings connected with various designs. That is what any residential on Bousch should look like. Especially considering the beauty of the architecture in Freemason. I realize that Heritage was the first new residential project Norfolk really had and at that point they were begging for it, so their Planning Commissions standards were a bit lower. I hope this new project shows that Collins isn't bound to cookie-cutter development...

Does anyone else fear that 388 Bousch is going to be a total let down based on his Heritage apartments across the street? Those look like any major university's student apartment complexes...They are so sterile and bland. It seems like the rendering for these will be more attractive, but still the same design for a whole block with no seperations in design. I appreciate the Bristol Development project in Ghent for this reason. They have made the project look like multiple buildings connected with various designs. That is what any residential on Bousch should look like. Especially considering the beauty of the architecture in Freemason. I realize that Heritage was the first new residential project Norfolk really had and at that point they were begging for it, so their Planning Commissions standards were a bit lower. I hope this new project shows that Collins isn't bound to cookie-cutter development...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To say this project would be a let down is to say that I was expecting much from it in the first place. It has always been the "lesser" project, almost like filler. I don't think the design looks too bland at all but this may be something that we'll have to wait til it's completed to pass judgement on.

To say this project would be a let down is to say that I was expecting much from it in the first place. It has always been the "lesser" project, almost like filler. I don't think the design looks too bland at all but this may be something that we'll have to wait til it's completed to pass judgement on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. There really wasn't much you could put there because of lack of space and they would have to tear down some old buildings. I think it will be fine addition to the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we also need to consider that Art Collins built those Heritage Apartments at a time when many people thought he was nuts. He not only built them and rented them at rates higher than the existing market, but they seem to be well maintained and landscaped, and last I heard there was a wait to sign a lease.

I qualify all this by stating that I am an owner in RiverPark Condominium, the Collins project between the Heritage and the Pogoda Park. As far as 388 Busch, I would expect to see what is indicated on the website, which certainly looks to be quite a step up from the Heritage Apartments. As far as I know, 388 Busch was a sellout before any adverstising was required.

Collins is continuing his involvement in Norfolk with The Landings at Bolling Square and seems committed to helping Norfolk improve. I personally do not consider Heritage, Pier Point, RiverPark, 388 Busch, and The Landings to be cookie cutter.

I apologize as I know this has nothing to do with Harbor Heights progress, but I felt compeled to reply.

Chesapeake Pirate

I was trying to figure out if he was talking about 388 Boush St. because he was saying the other condos didn't have steel and I was wondering if he thought the garage was condos.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah, i was just thinking that the Condos were ONLY concrete. i didn't know there was steel going up.

It was just my mistake.

Sorry about the confusion.

About all this...whats going to be on the street level. Are there going to be shops or all condos?

Hopefully there will be shops/resturants/bars etc...I think it pointless(not really, but kinda) to have only condos/residential.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well there are restaurants in walking distance and there will be a Farm Fresh right next to them. I think they are trying to make downtown more ped friendly so people walk around dt.

Well there are restaurants in walking distance and there will be a Farm Fresh right next to them. I think they are trying to make downtown more ped friendly so people walk around dt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know, but what im saying is that they need to expand away from granby st. Granby st. seems to be the only place to go DT. we need multiple street's with multiple places to go. thats where Norfolk lacks with respect to other "cities". we're a "suburban downtown" city. even though Richmond is much smaller than us, their "inner city" feel much more like a "city". they have tons of little Knooks and Craneys with little shops on corners. it makes it feel more "urban"

I would think that they would make the bottom floors some kind of retail/busniess use.

I know, but what im saying is that they need to expand away from granby st. Granby st. seems to be the only place to go DT. we need multiple street's with multiple places to go. thats where Norfolk lacks with respect to other "cities". we're a "suburban downtown" city. even though Richmond is much smaller than us, their "inner city" feel much more like a "city".  they have tons of little Knooks and Craneys with little shops on corners. it makes it feel more "urban"

I would think that they would make the bottom floors some kind of retail/busniess use.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is more than Granby st. Shops are going up all over the place. Have you walked all around DT? Its not just Granby St. But HH is going to have things in the bottom and its right next to it so there you go.

There is more than Granby st. Shops are going up all over the place. Have you walked all around DT? Its not just Granby St. But HH is going to have things in the bottom and its right next to it so there you go.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rus - I have lived in the area(chesapeake)since i was born. i currently live in Ghent and have for the past 4 years. i frequent DT/Ghent, weekly/daily, and drive through DT everyday to work. i know whats going on.

IMO though, i do think DT lacks in a few areas and needs to move away from Granby st(ie. Expand). i believe its happening. but its gonna take awhile.

IMO though, i do think DT lacks in a few areas and needs to move away from Granby st(ie. Expand). i believe its happening. but its gonna take awhile.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If your conjecture is that we should not be focusing all of our energy on just the Granby corridor, then I agree with that. Right now Granby seems to be our bread and butter but it is not the end all to everything. DT will need to expand in almost every direction in order to remain viable.

Rus - I have lived in the area(chesapeake)since i was born. i currently live in Ghent and have for the past 4 years. i frequent DT/Ghent, weekly/daily, and drive through DT everyday to work. i know whats going on. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you took me wrong. I think the reason that Granby has all the shops, bars, etc. is because it was cheaper for those bars to take the dilapadated( think i spelled that correct) buildings and covert them to bars and such. Once the developments outside of Grandby corridor are built they will happen. Right now we are playing catch up and lets see what happens with some of these other developments come about and with more people living DT you will see a major change. DT living is the major key for this to happen though.

If your conjecture is that we should not be focusing all of our energy on just the Granby corridor, then I agree with that. Right now Granby seems to be our bread and butter but it is not the end all to everything. DT will need to expand in almost every direction in order to remain viable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pretty much right on! :thumbsup:

Also though, for stuff to do downtown. Other than Mcaurther(sp?), Main st., and Granby, theres nothing much more other than parking lots, residential, and a few hit and miss shops. And Main st. is dead town when its not 9-5.

Dont get me wrong, i love living in Norfolk(Ghent), thats why i live there and not in Va beach somewhere :sick: .

I think you took me wrong. I think the reason that Granby has all the shops, bars, etc. is because it was cheaper for those bars to take the dilapadated( think i spelled that correct) buildings and covert them to bars and such. Once the developments outside of Grandby corridor are built they will happen. Right now we are playing catch up and lets see what happens with some of these other developments come about and with more people living DT you will see a major change. DT living is the major key for this to happen though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn Right, i agree 100% :thumbsup:

I cant wait for that change though. i wish it would just hurry up already ;)

Damn Right, i agree 100% :thumbsup:

I cant wait for that change though. i wish it would just hurry up already  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too! I grew up in Norfolk all my life and have been dreaming of all the potential of this great city. I'm hoping this is a trend that is just beginning.

Archived