Parcel M at CV | Creative Village | 14 Stories

IAmFloridaBorn

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

7,700 students and the staff to teach and support them. Another new grocery store planned for DT at X-Orlando. Transit, Trails, Parks, and Planning. 

Oh, I don't like how short and fat the base of that building is and it is aesthetically unappealing to my particular tastes. THE POLITICIANS ARE THE REASON WHY! 

• Like 2

Ummmm, we do have more than one Democrat in town. Each with different strengths and weaknesses. 

And yes, politicians can, and have, actively changed the cityscape.

20 N. Orange was angled because of Mayor Bill. The open plaza at Church and Orange exists because of Mayor Bill. 

Water features and visors happened because of Mayor Bill (the goal was to not end up with more flat-top buildings like all our towers had up until the change - he missed that BB would go cheap and violate the spirit of the law; another mayor interested in design could have  fixed the ordinance after Bill left if they wanted to.)

Therein lies the point - Buddy has never tried because he doesn’t care. Now, that doesn’t make him a bad guy. The venues exist because of Buddy (again, we can be grateful for the move of the arena to a much more pedestrian-friendly space; we can also bemoan the fact that Buddy was perfectly content to let the Magic build the new arena on the cheap with a facade less inviting than many Walmarts).

The bottom line is, all of these things happened (good and bad) because of decisions and guidance by mayors. There’s a much longer list of how mayors have shaped the downtown we have.

To pretend it happens by immaculate conception is incorrect. Recessions happen because things move too far in one direction and the economy loses balance. By the same token, the vision Buddy has given us for SIXTEEN YEARS has left some imbalances that won’t be addressed by this mayor because it’s not his thing.

Over at the Brick Bunker, transit is FINALLY being addressed because we have a new OC mayor. Had Teresa gone on for another eight years, it wouldn’t have been because it was not a priority of hers or her party. That doesn’t make her a bad mayor - she just focused on other things.

If good design is a priority, it will be important to elect a mayor who thinks it’s important. Right now it isn’t. I’m simply suggesting there is an alternative if we want it.

18 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

7,700 students and the staff to teach and support them. Another new grocery store planned for DT at X-Orlando. Transit, Trails, Parks, and Planning. 

Oh, I don't like how short and fat the base of that building is and it is aesthetically unappealing to my particular tastes. THE POLITICIANS ARE THE REASON WHY! 

More like 12,000 students I think 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, smileguy said:

We've got a name and a website -- meet The Julian! 
https://thejulianorlando.com/

Interesting new renderings as well - including this one of what looks like a ground floor outdoor retail space. 
Julian_outside.jpg

These don't look like a Julian. More like a Karen or Katherine 

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

These don't look like a Julian. More like a Karen or Katherine 

I blocked the name on the screen and asked my GF "if this building had a human name what would it be". Her answer, "Julie"... 

I can't quit looking at the people on the balcony and wondering what they're doing now... what adventure are they planning. Oh to be young...

• Like 1