Cambria Hotel (Old HBJ Lot)

Sparkleman

2 hours ago, Sparkleman said:

I heard from a very good source that across from the MB, a new hotel is going to go up on the old Hammond Brown Jennings property.

It will not be an Aloft but something similar as this is a small lot

We shall see if this pans out but the info comes from way up the ladder.

If true, this is exciting news.   That lot is begging for something prominent.    

2 hours ago, Sparkleman said:

I heard from a very good source that across from the MB, a new hotel is going to go up on the old Hammond Brown Jennings property.

6 hours ago, Sparkleman said:

Where is this?

12 minutes ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

Where is this?

Across Saint John from the Montgomery Building.  See below (I assume the corner parcel is included; it has a different owner from the other 2, which are bank-owned).

1169165652_hbjlot.JPG.15c6a5a1cad82116743e6e7dd12510cd.JPG

Interesting that a hotel may now be planned for this site (office was once rumored).  Are Gibbs/Cajka going to be beaten to the punch again? (unless this is them...)  I think 3 hotels is probably max capacity for downtown for the foreseeable future (barring a major job announcement).

Hope we hear more soon.  @Sparkleman did your source mention any timeline?

I would love something MB-height here, but I'd suspect an Aloft-type hotel to be in the 5-6 floor range.

As far as (Italian-sounding) brands, maybe: Canopy or Curio (Hilton), Moxy (Marriott), Centric (Hyatt), Hotel Indigo (IHG), Dolce or Tryp (Wyndham)?  I honestly hope it's non-Marriott, just for variety.

I hope this happens.  IMO, this corner is key to connecting the MB (and Marriott) to the heart of downtown.

Edited by westsider28
More brand guesses

I wouldn't be surprised if there's just more demand for hotel space downtown in general. It's really becoming a special place, and there are probably enough businesses in the County that would want to impress clients by putting them up in a downtown hotel rather than out by I-85. Just guessing though.

Either way, I'll be interested to see how they deal with parking on that site. Maybe it will be a boutique hotel with just a few rooms.

The hotel brand will be Cambria which is a pretty cool brand from Choice and pretty upscale. There is one in Asheville (see link below) and my guy who is closing the deal said it will be  between 5-7 stories.

The buyer of the the 3 properties that WS28 showed above is forking 1.5 mil for the 1 acre property and is getting no tax help from city per deal city gave OTO/GDJ saying it would be 3 years before they did that again which sent Gibbs and crew through roof.  Anyway the demand appears to be there but its not a done deal yet. The back of the property is slightly contaminated from that old Chevron station that was there forever. It seems that one of the underground tanks had leaked some gas over the years and it made its way to the HBJ site. The lawyers have found a way around it and its nothing like what is over at Gas Bottom.

https://www.cambriadowntownasheville.com/en-us

Edited by Sparkleman
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

GIS has been updated! The 3 parcels at this corner were purchased by NIAM I LLC.  The registered agent for that LLC is Suraj Mistry, who works at Alliant Asset Management.  And on his LinkedIn page, he has "liked" a few articles about Cambria hotels... :ph34r:

1369611779_hbjparcels.JPG.b7a7005742aafca80d40ea4d6d66a78a.JPG

(According to GIS, corner lot was purchased for $650k, top right lot $800k, bottom lot $800k)

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, westsider28 said:

GIS has been updated! The 3 parcels at this corner were purchased by NIAM I LLC.  The registered agent for that LLC is Suraj Mistry, who works at Alliant Asset Management.  And on his LinkedIn page, he has "liked" a few articles about Cambria hotels... :ph34r:

1369611779_hbjparcels.JPG.b7a7005742aafca80d40ea4d6d66a78a.JPG

(According to GIS, corner lot was purchased for $650k, top right lot $800k, bottom lot $800k)

That's a lot of money.  Something BIG is going to be built. 

8 hours ago, mainonmain said:

$2.2 million for that dirt is going to reset downtown property values in a significant way.

And I think we're looking at something in the 6-7 story, 80-room range. With ground-floor restaurant/retail.

That would be great. I'd love to see that side of downtown become more "connected" to the square... with people walking back and fourth, some side walk dining etc...

Its likely that they paid 1,450,000 not 2,250,000. When properties are purchased together and combined, the full amount

of purchase is shown for each property. The corner lot was purchased from a different owner than Author State. That said,

1,450,000 is still a significant amount for a 100 room hotel. 14500 per key is a lot.  Hopefully, we'll see a significant structure

that will spread those costs, making the land purchase more palatable.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...