Cambria Hotel (Old HBJ Lot)

Sparkleman

• 2 weeks later...

It will continue because we have no leadership at city hall.  We have no one that is interested in creating any economic development downtown. If J.D. wants it , it will happen. Or B.B. wants it it will happen. We have no Mayor, no economic development director, no city manager, and no one out aggressively trying to develop downtown. Sorry to be so negative but I am very disappointed!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1Spartanburg said:

I will be surprised if this gets built. The sand box would like for it to not be built. Which will be disappointing. If it were being built on the interstate they would not care.

Okay??? Do you have any inside info that proves this? 

3 hours ago, 1Spartanburg said:

Very simple just ask the developer.

So if I, a random stranger, were to contact the developer unsolicited, they would discuss City management incompetence with me?  Yeah right.  If it's that significant of a problem and they're that willing to discuss it, they should go to the media.  Make it public.

From what I've seen, the Chamber and their new(-ish) Downtown Development Partnership is doing a lot of positive groundwork to continue our current momentum.  I would be very surprised if City staff is actively hampering that effort.  You seem to know (or claim to know) a lot of behind-the-scenes info.  Perhaps things that someone involved with the Chamber or DDP would know.  But that couldn't be.  It would be grossly unprofessional for someone in that position to come onto an anonymous internet forum and make unsubstantiated attacks on the competency of the very people who should be partners in a unified effort to better our city...

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

My sense is that there are natural ebbs and flows in development, including in downtown development.  Sometimes things get a little quiet every now and then - given the pace over the past 4-5 years, if you go a few months without some big announcement, doesn't mean the wheels are coming off.  I have no inside knowledge here, but sometimes things slow down, you consolidate the changes that have happened, evaluate what comes next...  I think a lot of people on this site have wished for some big white-collar development for a while, or worry about losing one that we have...  and I have to figure getting someone to bring in a new white collar jobs is both a priority but also a real challenge - otherwise it would have happened a lot more.  

From my perspective, downtown is hopping right now, and I don't sense a change in direction for the negative.  What am I not seeing?  

• Like 1

I hope 1Spartanburg is wrong, but I think that at least part of what he is saying has validity.  I have heard that some of the Cambria investors have backed

out because of the  long delays in dealing with the DRB and if they had not purchased the property and only had an option on it, they would have walked

long ago.

I think the costs associated with the Smith's Drug store are causing that developer to not be able to swing this deal unless the City, County, or

both can come up with some incentives that might make it work.

It looks like the only large scale project that will happen anytime soon, might be the County Courthouse and the 200 apartments behind the Marriott.

• Like 1

The development process is incredibly slow. I am surprised there is even a market for this hotel - but I don't think they would have gone through the DRB if they weren't planning to do something with the site. There is tons of momentum downtown - lots of new business opening up and people seem to be spending increasing amounts of time and money down there. Silver Hill is moving along, buildings are getting renovated. It's all progress... it's just that progress when it comes to the built environment is so slow. Be patient, it will work out. 

And if they do back out, then so be it. Something else will come along eventually. Spartanburg has some solid forward momentum. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
3 hours ago, Spartanburg Guy said:

Anyone heard anything lately about this project?

This H-J article says it's "currently in a corporate approval process".  As of the beginning of the month, they hadn't gotten any building permits.  I saw it listed on a bid website with late-November as an estimated start date.  Hope things are progressing behind the scenes and we hear/see something before the end of the year.

I don't think your going to see any activity on this unless an incentive package is offered. That means another year and four month's approximately?

Then the problem becomes,  who will get the next incentive package.  We all know if George wants it, he'll get it. Jimmy Gibbs wouldn't be snubbed

again, but he's unlikely to do anything. So the Cambria would get the third place nod,  if the previously mentioned are not in the game. The proposal

could dry up all together in that amount of time, if market conditions change or if new Hotel lending dries up etc..