Greenville City Manager

Tomorrow is John Castile's last day as City Manager. He's been CM almost 10 years and has steered Greenville through probably the most active & largest development time in it's history. He'll be a tough act to follow and the city will need to conduct a tremendous search to find someone of his caliber. God bless & best wishes to John... hope you find another opportunity to show your many talents in the area. Thanks for your dedication and many endeavors to make Greenville such a fantastic city today.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2018/10/22/greenville-delays-selection-city-manager-until-next-year/1727216002/

Reading between the lines, sounds like the city wanted Debra Campbell and Asheville beat them to the punch. She must have been a great candidate for Asheville to forego their community input and jump right away to make sure they got her. Did Greenville miss out here?

3 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2018/10/22/greenville-delays-selection-city-manager-until-next-year/1727216002/

Reading between the lines, sounds like the city wanted Debra Campbell and Asheville beat them to the punch. She must have been a great candidate for Asheville to forego their community input and jump right away to make sure they got her. Did Greenville miss out here?

Evidently.... I like the deliberate approach they are taking to search & hire the best CM....Asheville could have made a rushed decision regretted later. There are talented and qualified individuals out there....

Edited by cabelagent

On 10/22/2018 at 8:03 PM, cabelagent said:

Evidently.... I like the deliberate approach they are taking to search & hire the best CM....Asheville could have made a rushed decision regretted later. There are talented and qualified individuals out there....

Or, Greenville could have been too deliberate and lost out on a great candidate. I guess we will never know.

9 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

We are because of the mayor's vision.

Along with other leaders

It might be their  vision but if someone isn't making sure the trains run on time, there won't be an  vision implemented.  If the trash isn't picked up and the criminal element isn't kept in check, and the bills aren't paid, the  vision stuff is the first thing to fall off the radar. 

You realize the mayor is a part time position, don't you?

35 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

It might be their  vision but if someone isn't making sure the trains run on time, there won't be an  vision implemented.  If the trash isn't picked up and the criminal element isn't kept in check, and the bills aren't paid, the  vision stuff is the first thing to fall off the radar. 

You realize the mayor is a part time position, don't you?

I know what he does. I know some of them. I'm not worried about them not getting the right person.

Edited by motonenterprises

• 2 months later...

The City is spending on the order of $60k to FIND a City Manager. Surprising to me a contract to find a candidate is $50k, with an extra $10k for travel expenses. What are the repercussions for Find Great People, LLC if they find a dud? Now I know how these recruitment centers stay afloat.

https://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/5822?fileID=24647

20 hours ago, Joey_Blackdogg said:

The City is spending on the order of $60k to FIND a City Manager. Surprising to me a contract to find a candidate is $50k, with an extra $10k for travel expenses. What are the repercussions for Find Great People, LLC if they find a dud? Now I know how these recruitment centers stay afloat.

https://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/5822?fileID=24647

Wow. At the bottom it says "total $115K." 

So I guess this means that the other two candidates identified back in the summer didn't pass muster or got tired of waiting on the city? And that Debra Campbell was indeed the one they wanted? 

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

On 1/12/2019 at 10:28 AM, distortedlogic said:

Wow. At the bottom it says "total $115K." 

So I guess this means that the other two candidates identified back in the summer didn't pass muster or got tired of waiting on the city? And that Debra Campbell was indeed the one they wanted? 

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

They should drive over to Greer to hire Ed Driggers. 

5 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2019/01/16/greenville-new-city-manager-search/2578827002/

Says Greenville is hiring a new firm and is starting over. Will spend more on this search, and will be looking for candidates who are content in their job instead of looking for one. 

I'm glad they haven't just settled on someone. Hopefully this yields the right leader for carrying Greenville forward.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, gman430 said:

The latest finalists are John McDonough, city manager of Sandy Springs, Georgia; Jeff Jones, chief operating office and deputy city manager for Mesquite, Texas; and Dan Hoffman, assistant city manager for Gainesville, Florida.

Thx...Is there a front runner or favorite?

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

The latest finalists are John McDonough, city manager of Sandy Springs, Georgia; Jeff Jones, chief operating office and deputy city manager for Mesquite, Texas; and Dan Hoffman, assistant city manager for Gainesville, Florida.

Thanks for the info. I'm a bit perplexed however,  aren't Misquite and Sandy Springs suburbs (granted large ones), and Gainesville a much smaller area? Doesn't quite seem to fit. Are we looking for an up and comer or are we getting pretty down on the list or what?