LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

Oh, please, please, please let DeSantis try to play with immigration in Florida. That will work as well as Pete Wilson's draconian efforts on Prop 187 in Cali in 1994 (in preparation for a '96 presidential run.)

It backfired spectacularly and turned two-party California into a state as Blue as the University of Michigan. Go for it, guys! (Did I mention the Dems now have a supermajority in the Cali legislature?) 

Yep, solid plan!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Oh, please, please, please let DeSantis try to play with immigration in Florida. That will work as well as Pete Wilson's draconian efforts on Prop 187 in Cali in 1994 (in preparation for a '96 presidential run.)

It backfired spectacularly and turned two-party California into a state as Blue as the University of Michigan. Go for it, guys! (Did I mention the Dems now have a supermajority in the Cali legislature?) 

Yep, solid plan!

well, I don't know what his plan is specifically on immigration. 

My stance is you can come here, but come here legally like everyone else.  No one said anything about keeping people out for reasons other than simply that.

We can't have a situation like Europe where many funnel into Greece easily as an easy gateway into Europe.

13 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

well, I don't know what his plan is specifically on immigration. 

My stance is you can come here, but come here legally like everyone else.  No one said anything about keeping people out for reasons other than simply that.

We can't have a situation like Europe where many funnel into Greece easily as an easy gateway into Europe.

The two major Hispanic groups in Florida are Cubans and Puerto Ricans. Puerto Ricans are already American citizens and Cubans have almost guaranteed access thanks to the "wet foot , dry foot" rule.

As a result, immigration hasn't been the trigger issue for Hispanics here that it has been in some other border states. However, let the Anglos in Tallahassee appear to be disrespecting the Hispanic communities in South and Central Florida with Trumpian rhetoric and watch what happens.

There's a reason the GOP has been smarter than to touch the third rail of Florida politics. But, go ahead, jrs,  let your good buddy in North Carolina talk you into it. It'll be just fine!

Edited by spenser1058

25 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The two major Hispanic groups in Florida are Cubans and Puerto Ricans. Puerto Ricans are already American citizens and Cubans have almost guaranteed access thanks to the "wet foot , dry foot" rule.

As a result, immigration hasn't been the trigger issue for Hispanics here that it has been in some other border states. However, let the Anglos in Tallahassee appear to be disrespecting the Hispanic communities in South and Central Florida with Trumpian rhetoric and watch what happens.

There's a reason the GOP has been smarter than to touch the third rail of Florida politics. But, go ahead, jrs,  let your good buddy in North Carolina talk you into it. It'll be just fine!

Who's my good buddy in NC?

What is the rhetoric that disrespects Hispanics in South and Central Florida coming out of Tally?

I don't know, you're more tuned into what's coming out of Tally than I...I'll leave it in your good hands.

27 minutes ago, Dale said:

Democrats who voted twice for the Deporter-in-Chief, think Trump is Hitler for enforcing immigration laws.

spenser1058 will never forgive North Carolinians for keeping men out of women’s bathrooms.

I said it here before.  Obama's deportation numbers are staggering.  But the Dems need to increase their constituency; illegal immigrants and felons.  It's true, they don't care about felons or illegals, only votes, and only the ones that will vote for them.  But that holds true for both parties and catering to and increasing their constituency, which goes back to my original point that this whole thing is a sham.

Rush:  "All the world's to me a stage, and we are merely players, performers and portrayers."  Geddy Lee ain't no dummy.

9 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I said it here before.  Obama's deportation numbers are staggering.  But the Dems need to increase their constituency; illegal immigrants and felons.  It's true, they don't care about felons or illegals, only votes, and only the ones that will vote for them.  But that holds true for both parties and catering to and increasing their constituency, which goes back to my original point that this whole thing is a sham.

Rush:  "All the world's to me a stage, and we are merely players, performers and portrayers."  Geddy Lee ain't no dummy.

It’s a race to the bottom for the Democrats.

Bad news for Trump: he’s clearly vulnerable in 2020.

Good news for Trump: he likely gets to run against a full-bore to left Democrat.

27 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Please be kind enough to show me where there is any objective, authoritative source that suggests illegal immigrants are voting in significant numbers.  You can't because they don't exist. Most undocumented immigrants won't go anywhere near a precinct for fear of being anywhere near anyone to do with the government.

As for felons gaining the right to vote, it's what most states have always done. The idea of corrections in the US has been to bring felons back into the mainstream of society - voting is just one way to do that.

Taking that right away came about in the post-reconstruction/Jim Crow era as one more way to keep blacks from voting, particularly in the South. To this day, minorities are more likely to be convicted (and charged with felonies in the first place) than are whites in the same situation.

We're finally trying to right a grievous wrong.

Anyway, don't ask me, ask the churches and the vast number of Floridians that passed Amendment 4.

Now, as to Rush: he wanted to lock up all the addicts and throw away the keys until he became one. Funny how that works.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Please be kind enough to show me where there is any objective, authoritative source that suggests illegal immigrants are voting in significant numbers.  You can't because they don't exist. Most undocumented immigrants won't go anywhere near a precinct for fear of being anywhere near anyone to do with the government.

As for felons gaining the right to vote, it's what most states have always done. The idea of corrections in the US has been to bring felons back into the mainstream of society - voting is just one way to do that.

Taking that right away came about in the post-reconstruction/Jim Crow era as one more way to keep blacks from voting, particularly in the South. To this day, minorities are more likely to be convicted (and charged with felonies in the first place) than are whites in the same situation.

We're finally trying to right a grievous wrong.

Anyway, don't ask me, ask the churches and the vast number of Floridians that passed Amendment 4.

Now, as to Rush: he wanted to luck up all the addicts and throw away the keys until he became one. Funny how that works.

No!  Rush the band, not Lindbaugh!  C'mon, Spenser, get with the times!  LOL.

To the restoration of felon’s voting rights, we’re supposed to think it’s untoward to convey concern about giving lawbreakers a voice in making laws. 

We’re supposed to assume that a disproportionate amount of felons being black constitutes a conspiracy against blacks. 

And we’re not supposed to imagine that Democrats advocated for restoration because they know that the overwhelming number of fellow felons in other states, black or otherwise, register and or vote Democrat.

4 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

While this makes absolutely no sense it’s exactly the response that was expected.

We report. You decide.

So, it turns out Matt Caldwell has conceded to Nikki Fried for Ag Commish so Democrats still have one statewide office. 

Turns out, the blue wave made it to Florida after all when you consider all our other gains.

See you in 2020!

Florida recount: Matt Caldwell concedes to Nikki Fried in agriculture commissioner race
http://bit.ly/2zkIlvp

From the Sentinel

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

Did anyone else notice that, for all the consternation the Republicans made hurrying Bill Nelson and Andrew Gillum to concede, the last actual concession made after losing was by a...  Republican?

Guess it's like the killer caravan that we haven't heard a peep about since Election Day (or the massive infrastructure bill we're still waiting to be introduced since 2016...) I get so confused.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Did anyone else notice that, for all the consternation the Republicans made hurrying Bill Nelson and Andrew Gillum to concede, the last actual concession made after losing was by a...  Republican?

Guess it's like the killer caravan that we haven't heard a peep about since Election Day (or the massive infrastructure bill we're still waiting to be introduced since 2016...) I get so confused.

Well, that last bit is obvious.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

edited

that was weird...(UP thingy)

Edited by jrs2

8 hours ago, Dale said:

Well of course, cities breed collectivism, identity politics, scooters, fish tacos and the hope that felons will be faithful Democrats. The only thing that has changed, from the urban vs rural divide is that, at least in the midterms, suburbs voted like cities and exurbs voted like rural.

But I think it is reasonable to surmise this was more of an anti-Trump spasm than a permanent realignment. 

Up here in Charlotte the county commission went 9-0 Democrat. And even the liberal Charlotte Observer thinks that sort of imbalance is a spectacularly bad idea.

While the faithful Republicans elect felons (Trump & Scott to name a couple) to public office. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Actually the Times is reporting they've gone to a shelter in Tijuana Which suggests they were never a threat to anyone. 

And Tijanans are being racist and demanding they go back. Wait, I thought you had to be white to be racist ?

10 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

While the faithful Republicans elect felons (Trump & Scott to name a couple) to public office. 

Didn’t you vote for the mass-murderer in 2016 ?