LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

The Washington Post notes Rep. Stephanie Murphy, incumbent holding the “Mica” seat, had the best Democratic performance by a US House incumbent in last month’s election. She defeated John Mica by 3 points in 2016 and this year increased her lead to 15+ points against well-financed Republican Mike Miller.

Given the demographics of the district, it’s unlikely to go red again any time soon unless there’s a major readjustment of the boundaries during 2022 redistricting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/paloma/the-trailer/2018/12/09/the-trailer-what-we-learned-from-all-the-2018-results-the-winners-losers-flippers-voters-and-spenders/5c0ae53a1b326b67caba2b49/

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 8:30 PM, orange87 said:

Hopefully, it won’t kill the marijuana industry, through taxation and regulation, like California has.

On 12/28/2018 at 4:29 PM, spenser1058 said:

When it comes to elections, Florida may be stupid but NC has done gone ‘round the bend...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/28/us/politics/north-carolina-house-race-fraud.amp.html

From The NY Times 

Irony: they say it all starts in California. It worked for the Democrats there and nobody got into trouble.

4 hours ago, Dale said:

Just underscoring Blue Hypocrisy. While California Democrats crow, Republicans in NC are alarmed by certain Republican practices and are willing to consider a new election.

Given the state of the NC GOP, I’m willing to give them a pat on the back for exhibiting  a most basic civic responsibility to free and fair elections.

not local politics, but last night around 9 o'clock, I saw "Bing, bing, bong,"  talk, followed by Hell's version of Mama & Papa Gus.  Ice pick to the temple...anyone?

At one point, I was looking around for Judge Wapner because it resembled an episode of The Peoples' Court.  Dun-dun, dun... 

My time was wasted when I could've been doing way more productive things, like: a) getting baked (on bad sh!t); or b) circle jerking with mental ward patients at 33rd Street, or c) playing Black Ops with a blindfold on, or d) drinking cheap hard liquor, or e) watching SouthPark with actual kids with DCF present, f) shopping at Worst Buy when there's no sale going on, or g) surfing (a website) with the phrase "hub" in it's name in front of my mom, or h) playing Badminton by myself on I-4 near the 408 WB ramp while wearing a tutu. 

Can somebody please warn me to never do that again?  Thanks.

11 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

not local politics, but last night around 9 o'clock, I saw "Bing, bing, bong,"  talk, followed by Hell's version of Mama & Papa Gus.  Ice pick to the temple...anyone?

At one point, I was looking around for Judge Wapner because it resembled an episode of The Peoples' Court.  Dun-dun, dun... 

My time was wasted when I could've been doing way more productive things, like: a) getting baked (on bad sh!t); or b) circle jerking with mental ward patients at 33rd Street, or c) playing Black Ops with a blindfold on, or d) drinking cheap hard liquor, or e) watching SouthPark with actual kids with DCF present, f) shopping at Worst Buy when there's no sale going on, or g) surfing (a website) with the phrase "hub" in it's name in front of my mom, or h) playing Badminton by myself on I-4 near the 408 WB ramp while wearing a tutu. 

Can somebody please warn me to never do that again?  Thanks.

Wearing a tutu? You’ll have to join me at Tea Dance at PH next Sunday! *giggles*

You’re braver than I am. As we all know, I’m a political junkie and even I passed on that.

I just waited for the latest polling on 538 to see how it played. (So far, better for the Chuck and Nancy Show than for our Maximum Leader.)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Wearing a tutu? You’ll have to join me at Tea Dance at PH next Sunday! *giggles*

You’re braver than I am. As we all know, I’ma political junkie and Even I passed on that.

I just waited for the latest polling on 538 to see how it played. (So far, better for the Chuck and Nancy Show than for our Maximum Leader.)

somehow I knew...you would see my post...and quickly...   I strive to entertain.  

• Like 1

Ex- Governor Scott and Governor DeSantis are already at war with each other.

If the Republicans can’t even get along with each other, is it any wonder they are cranky about those of us in the 99%?

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2019/01/10/rick-scott-florida-governor-ron-desantis-1093598

From Politico

• Haha 1

I’m not a fan of Gov. DeSantis but if he follows through with this announcement to begin reversing the unholy environmental mess created by Skeletor and his minions in the Legislature, I’ll be proud to give credit where it’s due. Let’s hope!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/political-pulse/os-ne-ron-desantis-florida-water-20190110-story.html

From the Sentinel 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dale said:

I hope he builds oil rigs like crazy. I want our beaches to look like California beaches.

In this case, a little study and you’d discover that the offshore oil rigs, mostly in Southern California, came about when the region was tightly controlled by the Uber-conservative Chandler family, among others.

This was the domain of the John Birchers and the birthplace of Richard Nixon and stomping grounds of St. Ronnie.

By the time the Chandlers’ LA Times (amazing how progressive the younger generations can be!)and most of the region had moved left (thanks to the draconian immigration measures of Republican governor Pete Wilson), it was far too late to reverse the contracts (or the damage from some catastrophic oil spills)..

if, however, you need more information on the topic, I’m sure local resident prahaboheme would be happy to help.

Given Skeletor was initially all too willing to do the same in Florida until even Republicans shared with him it would destroy any future in politics and he quickly backtracked, one would hardly paint the GOP as saviors of the environment (see also, the current dismantling of the EPA.)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1