LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Gwen Graham says it’s time to encourage the film industry to come back to Florida:

https://twitter.com/gwengraham/status/1195019112222777344?s=21

But had that ship sailed when GA, NC, NY, and MA already have an east coast grip on that industry and actually pulled it out from underneath Florida (all to FLs own lack of leadership, mind you)?

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

This is YUGE (even though it doesn’t seem like it):

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1195380155935531008?s=21

In a state where the gubernatorial election was decided by .4 %, this can mean up to a 5% advantage (without the point!).

Florida elections will be getting fairer despite the efforts of the incumbent party.

• Like 1

Bakari Burns has received the endorsement of the AFL-CIO and UNITE HERE labor groups in the Orlando District 6 City Council. 

He faces a runoff next month against Gary “Baggy Pants” Siplin.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/311222-afl-cio-unite-here-endorse-bakari-burns-in-orlando-city-council-race

From Florida Politics

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

So now I’ve seen both Mayor Pete and Chasten here in O-town. It’s great they’re already spending time here in Central Florida. Meanwhile, Pete surges ahead in Iowa, is climbing in NH and is about to go up on TV in SC. Onward to Florida in March!

Meanwhile, Kentucky and Louisiana of all places go blue in their gubernatorial races but Florida keeps electing corrupt Republicans. What’s up with that? Thank goodness Gwen Graham is still calling out the madness on Twitter - here’s hoping she gives it another run in ‘22.

Edited by spenser1058

Not sure if this is going to help in Florida, where growing retiree populations in SW and Central Florida are a totally different demographic, but other southern states are beginning to see their suburbs go blue for the first time in decades:

https://twitter.com/redistrict/status/1195951577338667009?s=21

12 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Not sure if this is going to help in Florida, where growing retiree populations in SW and Central Florida are a totally different demographic, but other southern states are beginning to see their suburbs go blue for the first time in decades:

https://twitter.com/redistrict/status/1195951577338667009?s=21

It didn’t seem to help the dems in 2016. Exurbs and rural more than made up for increasing urban-suburban hivemindedness.

1 minute ago, Dale said:

It didn’t seem to help the dems in 2016. Exurbs and rural more than made up for increasing urban-suburban hivemindedness.

That was before the suburbs found out Trump wasn’t going to magically become presidential once elected. See 2018 and now 2019. Donald Trump is the best thing to ever happen to the Democratic Party as far as elections go. We’re seeing ruby red suburbs flip for the first time since before Reagan.

7 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

That was before the suburbs found out Trump wasn’t going to magically become presidential once elected. See 2018 and now 2019. Donald Trump is the best thing to ever happen to the Democratic Party as far as elections go. We’re seeing ruby red suburbs flip for the first time since before Reagan.

Deranged Pantsuit Nation relitigating a lost election. Trump approval rating at 50%.

3 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

RCP aggregate of polls = 44% 

538 aggregate = 42%

Trump hasn’t seen 50% approval outside Rasmussen for virtually any of his term. 

In a world of “highly educated”, avocado toast eating, Spirit-World Otherkins, who don’t seem to care about Kangaroo Court, 44% is more than enough. And keep an eye on born-again Kanye leading blacks out of the Party of Slavery and Jim Crow. Also, Babylonbee is my paper of record.

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

In a world of “highly educated”, avocado toast eating, Spirit-World Otherkins, who don’t seem to care about Kangaroo Court, 44% is more than enough. And keep an eye on born-again Kanye leading blacks out of the Party of Slavery and Jim Crow. Also, Babylonbee is my paper of record.

That comment sums up exactly what is flipping the suburbs. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

What’s interesting in Louisiana is turnout. Democratic turnout increased by 97,000 vs. GOP turnout increasing 68,000.

Remember, now, this is in a Republican state and where Trump visited TWICE in the last few weeks to stump for the GOP candidate.

So far this year, The Donald is whipping up enthusiasm alright. Only problem is it’s working on the wrong side for him. I sure hope he keeps it up.

1 minute ago, Dale said:

So’s your uncle could also explain why you’re likely to grind your teeth through the better part of Jan 2025.

Dale, is there a reason you never have objective facts? I suppose the fact that even the GOP in NC acknowledges it’s about to lose two congressional seats next year is keeping you too busy to do your due diligence. I’ll let you get back to it. Best wishes!

40 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Dale, is there a reason you never have objective facts? I suppose the fact that even the GOP in NC acknowledges it’s about to lose two congressional seats next year is keeping you too busy to do your due diligence. I’ll let you get back to it. Best wishes!

Objective fact: In the run up to 2016, Democrats held that the White House was their permanent birthright. Have gone Stalinist since. Confused, thought you had me on ignore because I intruded on your reverie in your echo chamber ?

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Objective fact: In the run up to 2016, Democrats held that the White House was their permanent birthright. Have gone Stalinist since. Confused, thought you had me on ignore because I intruded on your reverie in your echo chamber ?

This Democrat never believed that (I remember McGovern and Mondale all too well). As a former DEC member and 1988 DNC convention delegate, I wonder how I missed the bus.

It is worth noting that, except 2004 (we’ll skip the Ohio conspiracy theory), the GOP has lost the popular vote every time since 1992 and took power only by the constitutional gerrymander known as the  Electoral College. Thankfully, as AZ, GA, and TX turn blue (not to mention NC!) in the next decade, that problem will remedy itself. States like WI and PA that might turn red due to relative population declines will also lose electoral votes as a result. (States like AL will as well).

Which, in the end, is the GOP’s challenge. It’s relying on the declining voters of the past instead of the demographics of the future. 

That also applies to Florida. When I was a kid, the South Florida retirees, who were from the New Deal era, propped up Democratic majorities in the Sunshine State. Current retirees who came of age with Reagan have tended to vote Republican. As the Gen X, Gen Y and millennials age, the pendulum will switch back.

That’s unless the GOP shifts gears and offers something different. Since the constitution unintentionally enshrines a two-party system, the alternative is a replacement conservative party. The Trumpist model seems unsustainable because it turns out the Republic is indeed holding (thank you, James Madison!) so what that will look like I don’t know.

Because the public schools wiped out much of American history and civics in Jeb Bush’s test mania and the private schools who are exempted from standards prefer to concentrate on Bible studies, most Americans don’t know that we’ve been in a time like this before during the Gilded Era. GOP overreach then was saved from doom by a Progressive Republican named Teddy Roosevelt. It will be interesting to see if another one arises now.

In the end, the kids will be alright. As Billy Joel noted, “We Didn’t Start the Fire”:

https://youtu.be/eFTLKWw542g

Edited by spenser1058

59 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

This Democrat never believed that (I remember McGovern and Mondale all too well). As a former DEC member and 1988 DNC convention delegate, I wonder how I missed the bus.

It is worth noting that, except 2004 (we’ll skip the Ohio conspiracy theory), the GOP has lost the popular vote every time since 1992 and took power only by the constitutional gerrymander known as the  Electoral College. Thankfully, as AZ, GA, and TX turn blue (not to mention NC!) in the next decade, that problem will remedy itself. States like WI and PA that might turn red due to relative population declines will also lose electoral votes as a result. (States like AL will as well).

Which, in the end, is the GOP’s challenge. It’s relying on the declining voters of the past instead of the demographics of the future. 

That also applies to Florida. When I was a kid, the South Florida retirees, who were from the New Deal era, propped up Democratic majorities in the Sunshine State. Current retirees who came of age with Reagan have tended to vote Republican. As the Gen X, Gen Y and millennials age, the pendulum will switch back.

That’s unless the GOP shifts gears and offers something different. Since the constitution unintentionally enshrines a two-party system, the alternative is a replacement conservative party. The Trumpist model seems unsustainable because it turns out the Republic is indeed holding (thank you, James Madison!) so what that will look like I don’t know.

Because the public schools wiped out much of American history and civics in Jeb Bush’s test mania and the private schools who are exempted from standards prefer to concentrate on Bible studies, most Americans don’t know that we’ve been in a time like this before during the Gilded Era. GOP overreach then was saved from doom by a Progressive Republican named Teddy Roosevelt. It will be interesting to see if another one arises now.

In the end, the kids will be alright. As Billy Joel noted, “We Didn’t Start the Fire”:

https://youtu.be/eFTLKWw542g

This sounds like the hurry up and die meme which can’t account for young people developing minds of their own. Incidentally, I just got back from two weeks in SF and Seattle. And I can attest #Resist is strong out there. Talked to two groups of people out there, people who are not afraid register disgust about Blue policies and people a little afraid, but the disgust dribbles out.

“No Healthcare For You!” - Tallahassee’s Wellness Nazis

After years of rejecting Medicaid expansion (much of which would be covered by the feds) to make sure Floridians have coverage, now the dimwits in The Ph**lus are trying to block the measure from going on the ballot. Meanwhile, they insist we pay for THEIR healthcare.

https://twitter.com/dbnewsjournal/status/1196171151501930496?s=21

From the News-Journal 

Edited by spenser1058

Somebody recently asked who might be an up and coming star to step into Mayor Dyer's shoes (if he ever leaves). Phil Diamond is a very likely candidate. I'd question why he would want to give up the great job he is currently in (OC Comptroller) and if he did  run would he prefer OC Mayor. Whatever he chooses to do, he is one of the areas bright points amongst politicians.

Comptroller Phil Diamond gives back $6.2 million to Orange County

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-comptroller-phil-diamond-gives-back-millions-20191118-sba6dvqh6jd5zipqsupqkglxrm-story.html

Sure this is not "his" money and he is obligated to return overage to the County coffers. Regardless, headlines like that look good on campaign flyers.

5 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Somebody recently asked who might be an up and coming star to step into Mayor Dyer's shoes (if he ever leaves). Phil Diamond is a very likely candidate. I'd question why he would want to give up the great job he is currently in (OC Comptroller) and if he did  run would he prefer OC Mayor. Whatever he chooses to do, he is one of the areas bright points amongst politicians.

Comptroller Phil Diamond gives back $6.2 million to Orange County

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-comptroller-phil-diamond-gives-back-millions-20191118-sba6dvqh6jd5zipqsupqkglxrm-story.html

Sure this is not "his" money and he is obligated to return overage to the County coffers. Regardless, headlines like that look good on campaign flyers.

Phil already ran and Buddy handed him his hat (Phil was the District 1 Commissioner - his ill-fated move turned the seat Red; even worse, he let the late Doug Guetzloe talk him into it).

Despite all that, Phil’s a great guy and was the perfect choice to follow Martha Haynie as comptroller. We’ve had two incredible people in that job.

I would not support him as either Orlando or OC Mayor, however, because, like most accountants, he’s lacking in the vision department. Our mayors need to be able to dream and convince us of what’s required to be better than we are. That’s not Phil’s strength. His forte is making sure the dreams are paid for and keeping us out of trouble. He does a splendid job of that.

• Like 1