LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

I’m not a big Bernie fan but, after seeing someone on here refer to MiLB as “trash”, this tweet from his campaign touched me:

https://twitter.com/berniesanders/status/1208423895717601280?s=21

Although @AndyPok1 seems to think my experiences with the Orlando Twins at Tinker Field when I was 8 don’t matter, I recall just how cool it was to go to the games with my Cub Scout pack or my dad. The crowds were good and it was some of the last years  Orlando seemed to be interested in baseball.

Maybe that attitude of Orlando becoming too important to bother with the minors is how we ended up baseball-less. Cities like Nashville and Charlotte didn’t walk away (CLT was #1 in MiLB attendance in 2018) and that’s why they’re the cities people are talking about as the next MLB choices.

Edited by spenser1058

Just now, Dale said:

Mayor Pete having no problem showing up white support. *runs away*

Why Dale, I’m proud of you, using Bernie Bro memes!

In fact, the latest national polls out (which  I mostly think are useless, as we vote state by state - something Hillary discovered too late in 2016) show as many as 13% of African-Americans are considering a vote for Pete.

That, btw, is in line with the other top primary candidates except Joe.

What we know from 2008 is that black voters are very careful to make sure the candidates they support can go the distance because who is president has such huge stakes, especially for people of color.

Once Barack Obama proved he had “the big MO” (as Morris Udall called it) by winning Iowa, only then did African-Americans go all in for him.

We’ll see if Pete can do the same but meanwhile he’ll work to earn their trust with things like the Douglass Plan.

In any event, even if he only gets 13% of the  black vote, that’s a lot more than The Donald will ever see.

There’s currently a war raging to take away the customary rights of Florida citizens to have public access to their beaches.

Among those trying to steal the beachfronts are those like FOX News minion Gov. Mike Huckabee.

This affects not only everyday Floridians and the tourists who visit but all those property owners just off the beach whose property values would be gutted if they lost beach access we believed to be a public right in perpetuity.

The beaches belong to all of us.

https://twitter.com/beachesall/status/1209049471377707008?s=21

Edited by spenser1058

Miami legislator files bill to eliminate stadium subsidies:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/fl-ne-nsf-sports-stadium-funding-20191224-xgckgjmvevgjvmga7z23b2gjha-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Good. Let billionaires pay for their own stadia. The only exceptions would be for public universities/schools or something like Green Bay where the community owns the team.

17 states, including ours, use the closed primary system. The Florida Supremes are weighing allowing open primaries based on a proposed amendment.

“Allows all registered voters to vote in primaries for state legislature, governor, and cabinet regardless of political party affiliation. All candidates for an office, including party-nominated candidates, appear on the same primary ballot. Two highest vote getters advance to general election. If only two candidates qualify, no primary is held and winner is determined in general election. Candidate’s party affiliation may appear on ballot as provided by law. Effective January 1, 2024.”

Florida currently has 3.1 voters who can not vote in primaries.

4 hours ago, AmIReal said:

17 states, including ours, use the closed primary system. The Florida Supremes are weighing allowing open primaries based on a proposed amendment.

“Allows all registered voters to vote in primaries for state legislature, governor, and cabinet regardless of political party affiliation. All candidates for an office, including party-nominated candidates, appear on the same primary ballot. Two highest vote getters advance to general election. If only two candidates qualify, no primary is held and winner is determined in general election. Candidate’s party affiliation may appear on ballot as provided by law. Effective January 1, 2024.”

Holy crap talk about a misleading title. Ballotpedia says its opposed by both parties for that very reason, which likely means it has no chance as Florida amendments require 60% to pass. If they're trying to make sure its the top people getting into the position, the correct answer is ranked choice voting. Maine passed this last election and should be using it this go around.

4 hours ago, AmIReal said:

oops, sorry I forgot to include the link

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-op-lauren-ritchie-jungle-primaries-20191227-ro4mpvhjmvailaqd5ptuakrkfm-story.html

16 minutes ago, aent said:

Holy crap talk about a misleading title. Ballotpedia says its opposed by both parties for that very reason, which likely means it has no chance as Florida amendments require 60% to pass. If they're trying to make sure its the top people getting into the position, the correct answer is ranked choice voting. Maine passed this last election and should be using it this go around.

I think the article indicates it is opposed because each party like to control their respective outcome. This leave the 30+ percent that are unaffiliated with choices between 2 bad options and tends to push parties toward far left/right positions.

Ranked choice is also a good option.

Anything except the current crap we get.

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

I think the article indicates it is opposed because each party like to control their respective outcome. This leave the 30+ percent that are unaffiliated with choices between 2 bad options and tends to push parties toward far left/right positions.

Ranked choice is also a good option.

Anything except the current crap we get.

I'm not sure if that works well though... I'm reminded of a contest while I was at UCF, people were voting on dishes. Like 7 of 10 judges were vegetarian, and most people knew that so made vegetarians dishes, my friend who entered did not. Since he was the only non-vegetarian choice, he did real well with the 3 who liked meat.... And all the vegetarians split their votes between too many other options, so he won, when 70% of the judges refused to even try his dish.

The only thing that improves our voting method is one in which people aren't trying to choose the most likely to win "lesser of the evils". This system as proposed encourages it even more. Ranked voting is meant to make people comfortable voting for exactly who they feel should win.

Let’s take a little flyer from politics and head into a safer subject like... religion?

Oh well. Orlando’s a bit odd in that most big downtown churches tend to be pretty progressive. Here in the City Beautiful, that’s not the case. I’ll not say anything about the Catholics because I’m not sure where they’re at, but of the Protestants, the downtown Baptists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians and Lutherans all tend to lean to the right of their respective denominations.

FUMCO, otoh, tends to lean toward a more progressive tradition. Its amazing sanctuary, which figured out how to fuse a traditional feel while at the same time merging perfectly with its subtropical setting, stands out in most photos of the south end of downtown.

Anyway, the United Methodist Church has been in a struggle for some time regarding how to accept the changing roles of LGBTQ+ folks among their members and congregations.

If a schism ever came, it was always a question to those of us locally how it would affect large churches like FUMCO as well as smaller congregations around the region.

It looks like the answer is almost here and it will be the more conservative churches that split. As a result, it looks like FUMCO will be OK even as some members may choose to join their more traditional brethren. It will also be interesting to see which of the more traditional Central Florida churches choose to separate.

Stay tuned and now back to politics!

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/religion/2020/01/03/united-methodist-church-split-gay-marriage-prompt-new-denomination/2804051001/

From the Tennesseean 

Edited by spenser1058

The times, they are a FINALLY changin’.

For the first time membersof the legislative delegation are open to alternate expenditures for the TDT.

This is why it’s so important not to pretend anymore like yet another stadium is the best use of the money. There are so many other priorities to improve the lives of our residents that have gone ignored for so long.

https://twitter.com/carlosgsmith/status/1215396825374625792?s=21

Woohoo! The Florida Primary will be here before you know it.

Tomorrow, the Pete For Florida folks will be at the Audubon Park Community Market to register voters, answer questions about Pete and other things you might want to know about the primary.

@Dale is sad he’ll miss it but we’re trying to find him a Pete-Up in NC! *runs*

https://twitter.com/flforpete2020/status/1216419651607060482?s=21

Edited by spenser1058

REMEMBER: For now, Florida is a closed primary state. If you want to vote in the March primary for a Democratic presidential candidate, you have to register as a Democrat at least 30 days before.

In Orlando and Orange County:

http://www.ocfelections.com/

Edited by spenser1058

Interesting bit of trivia: Orlando Congresswoman Val  Demings has been selected to serve as one of the House managers for the impeachment trial in the Senate.

Rep. Bill McCollum (from Altamonte at the time, I think) served as a House manager during Bill Clinton’s impeachment trial.

Sometimes, Central Florida has more clout in D.C. than we think.

This isn’t Alabama or Mississippi, this is happening in Florida. Tallahassee continues to do its best to return the state deep into the 19th century.

After decades of progress under governors like LeRoy Collins, Reubin Askew, Bob Graham and Lawton Chiles (and even Claude Kirk on the environment), these idiots are destroying everything it means to be a Floridian.

Today, it’s equality we look at. On every front from the environment to education (remember the legislator who wanted to shut down UCF?), we’re going backward.

Whatever happened to the 21st century in the Sunshine State?

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/florida-republicans-file-4-anti-gay-bills-last-day-session-n1116256

From NBC News

More on the likely upcoming split in the United Methodist Church from the Sentinel:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-united-methodist-church-split-orlando-area-20200117-2ookgfqn25b4lgzakgsptdlvny-story.html

It appears, as expected, that FUMCO and College Park would remain under the new progressive rules of the existing denomination. Pine Castle, meanwhile, would probably join the traditionalists in a new denomination.

No word yet on other UMC congregations. My guess would be that St. Luke’s in Dr. Phillips, one of the largest Methodist churches in Central Florida and beyond, would likely stay.

Interestingly, a congregation need not choose to stay or leave. If they do not vote either way, they remain in the UMC subject to the new progressive rules. No doubt many choosing that route would “slow-walk” their acceptance. 

The Washington Post notes that a split among Methodists in the US has had far-reaching effects on the nation before. Last time, the divide was over slavery. Once again, both sides believe they are on the correct side of a human rights issue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/01/16/why-split-methodist-church-should-set-off-alarm-bells-americans/

Edited by spenser1058

So we have to wait ‘til 10pm for The NY Times endorsement all in the service of second-rate visual media? It’s sad the Gray Lady has come to this (not to mention the interviews weee a sausage that no one should witness). So much for the mystique of America’s newspaper of record.

It does make it easiee to switch to WaPo which is much more affordable (not to mention I have a long-standing crush on Aaron Blake *wink*).

Back to the Future: Jay Sekulow, a key member of President Trump’s impeachment defense team, has an interesting tie to Orlando: he was a big part of Pat Robertson and The 700’s Club attack on the city for displaying PRIDE flags downtown in 1998 during the wildfires.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-jay-sekulow-orlando-rainbow-20200122-tnl6kkdiwnfubjrzfeopcbgpeu-story.html

From the Sentinel