LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

REMEMBER: To vote in Florida’s presidential primary you have to be registered before FEB 18.

To vote in the Democratic primary, you must change party from NPA (no party affiliation) or Republican before FEB 18.

(You can change back after the primary if you want to but Florida has a closed primary so if you’re not registered as a Democrat you won’t be able to vote in that primary.)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

For those who insist both parties are interested in transit: the congressional infrastructure bill proposed in the House by the Democrats includes $105 billion for local transit and $55 billion for Amtrak.

Meanwhile, the Republican Senate version concentrates on highways with little mention of transit.

The White House so far has no interest in either.

If you’re interested in transit, there is a difference between parties.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/29/us/politics/house-democrats-infrastructure-plan.html

From the New York Times

FL Senator Linda Stewart, one of those politicians with actual integrity and who is from right here in OC, has filed a bill to allow use of TDT funds to incentivize film production.

If it works (Linda’s a Democrat so it’s an uphill battle in Tallahassee), could we see the return of Hollywood East?

https://bungalower.com/2020/01/29/bill-to-use-tourist-tax-to-incentivize-florida-film-production-in-florida-moves-forward/

From Bungalower 

On 1/17/2020 at 5:47 PM, spenser1058 said:

More on the likely upcoming split in the United Methodist Church from the Sentinel:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-united-methodist-church-split-orlando-area-20200117-2ookgfqn25b4lgzakgsptdlvny-story.html

It appears, as expected, that FUMCO and College Park would remain under the new progressive rules of the existing denomination. Pine Castle, meanwhile, would probably join the traditionalists in a new denomination.

No word yet on other UMC congregations. My guess would be that St. Luke’s in Dr. Phillips, one of the largest Methodist churches in Central Florida and beyond, would likely stay.

Interestingly, a congregation need not choose to stay or leave. If they do not vote either way, they remain in the UMC subject to the new progressive rules. No doubt many choosing that route would “slow-walk” their acceptance. 

The Washington Post notes that a split among Methodists in the US has had far-reaching effects on the nation before. Last time, the divide was over slavery. Once again, both sides believe they are on the correct side of a human rights issue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/01/16/why-split-methodist-church-should-set-off-alarm-bells-americans/

Prediction: the “progressive” faction will atrophy, whereas the Biblical faction will thrive. This is almost an invariable pattern among the denominations over the decade. Witness the implosion of the Presbyterian Church USA since the 1970’s. Progressive Methodists long regarded the Africans the fruit of their global compassion ... until they found a voice. When asked why our own UMC had to endure schism, it’s attendant upsets, our away-from-Bible leaning pastor shrugged his shoulders, smirked and muttered, “It’s the Africans.”

I suppose it depends on where the congregations are. Here in OC, for example, the largest Methodist congregations are the progressive ones. St. Luke’s, in Dr. Phillips, for example, appears to be a megachurch. Since it’s a suburban church and the closest Methodist one to Disney, however, it’s by far the most left-leaning. Speaking of Africans, St. Luke’s is where I got to meet Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

In the end, as my mother, a South Carolina native, once observed, the churches reflect their locations. She pointed out that no South Carolina Baptist preacher ever railed against the evils of smoking when tobacco was the major cash crop.

And so it begins. If you’re not a political junkie, you’ll just want to skip this post entirely. 

Tonight, with the Iowa caucuses, things get real. If you don’t care about such things and don’t think there’s any difference between Democrats and Republicans and what’s all that angst about, anyway?

If you get involved and have spent the past several months contributing money and texting to people in Iowa to support your guy (or gal, as appropriate), it’s an important moment.

For those of us who support Mayor Pete, it’s even more so. Especially for those of us who are gay, Pete’s just another validation that we are finally “all in”.

Pete, who the chattering class assumed had no chance, has powered his way to the top tier, but he has to do well in Iowa. If he does well here (not only because he’s a fellow midwesterner but also, just as Barack Obama proved a black candidate could make it in a mostly white state, because the good folks of Iowa can show being gay is ok for an American president), he will likely get a Bounce in NH and Nevada. South Carolina is likely a stretch but the first three makes fund-raising and support grow for the big battle of Super Two-Weeks (March 3-17), when the bulk of the primaries are held.

Whoever you’re supporting, or if as an independent or Republican you’re just watching with only mild interest, it all begins now to see who we are as a country. As citizens, this is when our chance to participate in the process starts.

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

In the end, as my mother, a South Carolina native, once observed, the churches reflect their locations. She pointed out that no South Carolina Baptist preacher ever railed against the evils of smoking when tobacco was the major cash crop.

Agreed. Churches reflect the congregants (i.e. the people). Which is why religion--to me--is a farce. Humans always seem to find a way to insert their own traditions, spells, compulsions, notions, costumes, personal-bias, etc. into religion and customize it to suit their needs to scale w/their own personal relationship with The One. Was the text ever truly original to begin with or was it tainted from the very beginning by the "inspired writer" of the time? People will happily follow/manipulate/weaponize portions of religious text while conveniently overlooking/disregarding other portions that incriminate their own rotten deeds. Supposedly there is only one true g-d and yet we somehow wound up with a smorgasbord of religions with followers who will vehemently argue they've found the real one :rolleyes:. Who's doing the dictating here, g-d or wo/man?

Edited by nite owℓ

Churches (synagogues, mosques, etc.) are human institutions and subject to human frailties. 

The Bible has been much changed over thousands of years. My own church, a progressive Methodist congregation, offered the Disciple course which let us study all the books of the Old and New Testament and see the discrepancies (for examples, in Genesis over who was begatting whom or in the differing stories of Jesus’ birth among the Gospels).

What is actually included in the Bible was subject to human (and committee) decision. My favorite is that evangelicals who believe the King James Version is most authentic and have the most problem with us gay folks miss out that King James himself was hardly exclusively heterosexual. There are also many questions that will likely be resolved as a result of translation errors and misinterpretations as the text came down through various languages.

The Bible also comes down from a storytelling tradition that is quite different from our idea of the facts as first envisioned in the Enlightenment (if you spend much time on Twitter, you may have noticed we seem to be going back in that earlier direction...)

Nevertheless, much good can come from religion. In smaller communities, it often provides the main social outlet.

The anti-slavery and civil rights movements have come from the churches. Religious organizations and believers still provide the bulk of assistance working with the poor among disadvantaged countries.

Like everything else human (and since I haven’t met any Martians yet to quiz them about their beliefs in the Almighty), there is good and bad in religion. It’s up to the individual to move toward the light.

It’s often said that more people have died in the name of religion than for any other reason. That’s mostly because religions got a head start.

In the 20th century , atheists from Stalin to Pol Pot did their best to catch up.

As a student of the Enlightenment, I believe God gave us free will. It’s up to us to find the right way. My own Methodist denomination has used as its tag line, “Open Hearts. Open Minds. Open Doors.” In the end, I think that gets all of us, believers and non-believers, where we need to go.

“A gay mayor of the 4th largest city in Indiana cannot possibly beat a former vice president and well known senators in presidential politics...” - the DC/NYC political/pundit establishment 

“If you can dream it, then you can do it.” -Walt Disney 

Some days all of the vitriol from the Twitter haters and the “Nice people don’t do politics “ crowds is worth it. Today was one of those days.”

I’m proud to support Mayor Pete.

Edited by spenser1058

26 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Absentee ballots are going out - let’s all vote for Mayor Pete! @dcluley98 gets to vote for Andrew Yang...

Whatever it takes to return to some normalcy. Feels like living in an episode of the Twilight Zone and gremlins taking over the country at the same time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s funny how much things with Mayor Pete are like the last couple of years of UCF football. The status quo crowd refuses to take him seriously and yet he keeps moving up in the rankings (polls).

Charge On!

I'm amazed how much the democrats are trying to push Joe Biden. I thought his Ukraine scandal was the end of him for sure. They can't just let the voters pick. I guess they've seen what happens when the voters pick with Trump (which the party undoubtedly hated) and don't want to risk something like that for their party.

• Thanks 1

As we know, Orlando is The City Without Limits and it’s not unusual to find one side of the street in Orlando and the other in unincorporated Orange County.

Here’s a handy dandy website where you can type in an address and voila! it will tell you if it’s in the city or not:

https://gis.orlando.gov/OrlandoInformationLocator/?disable-dss

(Thanks to David Whitley at the Sentinel) 

Edited by spenser1058

Also, to vote in the presidential primary, you must be registered by FEB 18.

Plus, Florida is a closed primary state. If you want to vote in the Democratic primary, you must list your party preference as Democratic by FEB 18*(you can change back to NPA or Republican afterward).

Need help and live in Orlando or OC?

http://www.ocfelections.com/

* If you’re already registered as a Democrat, you don’t have to do it again.

Edited by spenser1058

The Washington Post reports the Yang Gang is done for this year.... but he may be back in 2024!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/andrew-yang-drops-out-of-presidential-race/2020/02/11/4fe2c97c-4c2c-11ea-9b5c-eac5b16dafaa_story.html

Also, Michael Bennet is out (James Carville won’t be happy...)

From NBC News

UPDATE: Tom Steyer is going on. Apparently a fabricated tweet suggested otherwise. Also, I know you’ll be thrilled Tulsi Gabbard is going on to SC...

Edited by spenser1058

Don't know who I am going to pull for now that Yang is out, but I wouldn't mind Pete. Interesting, out of the candidates left, the one I most align with is Tulsi Gabbard. (although she also has about zero chance).

I am a bit more centrist, so I hope that it ends up as one of the more moderate and centrist candidates, but I will likely vote for the democratic candidate this year rather than a third party. 

I hope  whoever is the Democratic nominee puts Yang on the card as VP or in the cabinet as an advisor. 

• Like 1

US Rep. Stephanie Murphy is outraising all other candidates in the race for the seat once held by John Mica. She’s listed as a solid hold by the Cook Political Report so the seat is likely hers for two more years.

She’s chairman of the Blue Dog Caucus and leans center-right. That makes her waaaay too conservative for my taste but it’s probably perfect for straddling the Orange-Seminole line. Thankfully, one party is trying to keep the big tent going.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-district-7-congress-race-cash-20200213-22xjgog4pbcbheulmqvjk5qfba-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

35 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

US Rep. Stephanie Murphy is outraising all other candidates in the race for the seat once held by John Mica. She’s listed as a solid hold by the Cook Political Report so the seat is likely hers for two more years.

She’s chairman of the Blue Dog Caucus and leans center-right. That makes her waaaay too conservative for my taste but it’s probably perfect for straddling the Orange-Seminole line. Thankfully, one party is trying to keep the big tent going.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-district-7-congress-race-cash-20200213-22xjgog4pbcbheulmqvjk5qfba-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Got to admit your politics confuse me. Pete is almost as center/center-right as she is.

I really dislike Murphy and hope she eventually gets primaried but the WP crowd probably won't go anything beyond just a twinge of blue in their Rep.

31 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Got to admit your politics confuse me. Pete is almost as center/center-right as she is.

I really dislike Murphy and hope she eventually gets primaried but the WP crowd probably won't go anything beyond just a twinge of blue in their Rep.

Contrary to what the Bernie Bros try to have us believe, the major newspapers and online news/opinion sites have agreed that, if elected, Pete would be the most progressive president at least since FDR (and FDR campaigned on things like a balanced budget before he got into office).

While Stephanie usually ends up in the right place, her reticence on issues like support of Nancy Pelosi for Speaker and reluctance to extend limits on the War Powers Act often give me pause. 

I support Stephanie in that district but would like to see her move to a slightly more progressive stance as her district is also leaning further left. Of course, the lines will be redrawn next year so we have to wait and see what it will look like after the 2021 redistricting.